Mazda 6 Forums banner

Corksport Big Brake Kit

16K views 47 replies 20 participants last post by  JC79G35 
#1 ·
Just got an email from CS about their new Mazda 3 and 6 brake kit. Couldn't have received it at a worse time as my frustration with the shitty GB brakes are piling up... FML but you win some you lose some :)

2014+ Mazda 3 Big Brake Kit

#2 ·
Ha fuck me, i need to buy this ?%#@ brake kit

#5 ·
The fact that I received wrong rear pads and the fact that I cannot get any answers from Furiousbob, and since these are no-brand brakes, there's no place I can actually call to fix the issue and get the right shit. Going on 2nd month now with multiple tags in thread and personal messages on the forum - no response. But hey, it shows he's active daily :laugh2: No, I'm not frustrated at all lol

#7 ·
Your thread is a little late, there's already been one discussing the CS BBK:

http://forum.mazda6club.com/suspension-brakes/389250-corksport-bbk.html

Sorry you're having problems with Furiousbob, though.
It's all good, I broke my own rule and paid of it - "never buy off-brand brakes or wheels". If I don't hear back from him by the end of May, which will mark 2 months since initial contact about it, they're going in a dumpster. Unless someone who loves when their entire car vibrates at 60mph wants to drive down to Indianapolis and pick them up :)

#8 · (Edited)
My Furiousbob rotors and pads are doing fine.

I'd like more initial bite on the pads but in terms of ultimate stopping power they're a lot better than stock, and I have zero vibration or similar issues with them. I've got about 10k miles on the Furiousbob kit at this point and have needed to perform a few "must stop now" excursions; they've done an admirable job.

BTW the Corksport kit appears to be fronts-only. I know the rears provide nowhere near the amount of braking, but from an appearance perspective....

Also it's not clear that the Corksport kit comes with pads, and if it does (or doesn't) what pads go in there after-the-fact and what rotors come with it as well (e.g. are they a stock size you can get elsewhere) -- which of course bears on what options you may have down the road when the consumables that are supplied with the kit wear out.

#14 ·
My Furiousbob rotors and pads are doing fine.
That's great. Mine aren't. So there's that. I couldn't even tell you if the rear ones work at all because they simply don't fit. I like how people keep commenting "mine are doing great" as if implying I must have done something wrong with my installation :jackoff:. The pads don't fit PERIOD. There is nothing to go wrong about installation. I'm not even mentioning the vibrating part if at least the pads were correct ones.

Yeah because our 180hp engines are way over powering the brakes! Oh wait you have upgrades? Ok so your 200hp engine....
Why are people putting diffusers that make family sedans look like race cars, put 20 inch wheels, loud exhausts, intakes, Y rated tires, red vinyl tubes into their door panels? Who cares?

p.s. At least corskport has a phone number you can call and doesn't take 2 months to reply. Even if the reply is "go f..k yourself, sorry we can't replace your pads that are clearly not made for your car".

#10 ·
with corksport's reputation of early teething issues I would probably wait a year after a product is released till I consider the product from them, when all the little gremlins are ironed out.

for example, I got the SRI right away and it had calibration issues they have since fixed(i did a lil R&D for them). Now the airbox has rubbing and fasteners coming loose, still waiting for a fix.

#16 ·
Pads went right in on my car, both front and rear. As I've noted I'd like more initial "bite" but in terms of actual performance they're quite a bit better than stock, and since I had to replace the fronts anyway (they had a bit more life on them, but not a huge amount) it wasn't hard to decide that the slotted option was worth it.

#27 · (Edited)
w1000i

Share some with us your feedback how it works on cold, hot, and inhibits from 100 km / h how with a 200 km / h? I am interested in that, but I wonder about the KSport that has at least the greater availability of blocks - eg. DS2500, and doing it en masse and purchased separately, eg. ring disc is no problem. Good question how CorkSport is the availability of spare parts and how much they cost?

#29 · (Edited)
After 3 weeks of testing I will give you guys my thoughts: - my English is not that good and I will do my best :)-

First, The packaging was very good and all instructions is there, and I took them to a good brake mechanical guy I know him before and he works only on brake, wheel balance and other related things.

The installation process was easy and fast and we didn't drain much from the brake oil system and later we add only 250ml

Break performance:

The feel of the brake paddle is very liner compare to OEM and this feel dose not change with braking temperature change, Also the braking when you touch the paddle is engage earlier.

Braking at COOL temperature:
When I drive below 60 km\h (40 mph) they are like OEM and if hit hard the ABS will start.

but when I drive above 120km\k (70 mph) they are much better than OEM, but if you go harder on them ABS start which I disliked. maybe the brake pad is responsible for that ABS start and I think they used HAWK HPS ( I'm thinking to upgrade to HPS 5.0 later when mine gone)

Braking at HOT temperature:

What I mine by HOT is after 5 minute regular drive with some braking from 120km\h to below.

The performance much much better at all speeds and ABS does not interfere when I hit hard .

And I tried braking from 220km\h with 50% braking and really they did good job, but I felt the temperature goes up :), and usually at this point if you tried to increase your braking like my case from 50% to 70% they wan't give that 70% you want -because of heat- , but the corksport gave that 70%, and when I reached 100km\m I pulled off my foot from the brake paddle for like 2 second and again hit the brake and felt the brake cooled.

There are some little issue:

1-There is brake noise when you hit the brake hard that sound like "vvvvvv" but the sound now is lower and maybe the reason is the slot on the rotor surface, they are very very sharp and I hoped they smooth it little bit. I will try smoothing them next week when I have time.

2- Very Dusty brake pads. but with smoke wheel design that dust not problem

#30 ·
The abs is working because you have way to much braking power vs the grip of the tire.

for the rest everything is normal

Reactions: hoorah
#31 ·
w1000i thank you for your post, and a description of how this works in the Mazda 6.
I ordered on Saturday KSport 330 mm. Unfortunately it is my country dealer CorkSport. The nearest is in Germany. But I waited too long to answer a lot of questions, especially the question of the availability of spare parts, their prices and replacements discs and pads. Dealer Germany did not respond at all, and the US would send me to Germany. You see they do not want to sell unless it .. And I was really determined. But as there is not. Fortunately, there is competition. Distributor Ksport in my country, and at the same time it is going to put in my car. Also full support in the purchase price. And the price is the same as CorkSport, and saving money on installation. :)
From your description of the problems that you have no problems. :) It is quite normal that they are noisy. And most probably more than 100 km / h it is quite significant sound. So it is hard to have the pads and slots ..
Dusting is laying the pad most probably, but also do their slots. I hope durable with harsh use of 20000 km .. That you wish.

For sure you will be satisfied, because the OEM brakes are not brake above 140-150 km / h. Slowing down, nothing more. Also this BBKit will primarily at those speeds above 160 km / h, and in the end you forget that you have brakes. And this is fundamental ailment and stress in this car.
I have spent over 60000 km, hurt 3 sets of discs:
- Mazda (beat at 22000 km)
- Zimmerman (beat the 1000 km - scary shit)
- SP Performance (I ran out of the blocks and it hurt rubbing metal on metal) and the highly recommend although they are very expensive)

I have spent the 6 sets of brake pads:
- Mazda - 17000 km
- Delphi - 9000 km - a unique piece of crap
- Mazda - 11000 km - changed for another because I changed the brake discs
- Textar - 2000 km - hard, flowing, smelly, dusty brake pad
- SP Performance - 22000 km - the best I had in the car
- ECB - at present - a bit smelly and squealed at the beginning for 300 km, but now takes a nice, little is heard friction pad shield.

And that's why your way - that BBKit is actually the only solution to the problem of the brakes in the car. Maybe someone who rides a duly did not even notice, but as I have to ride at higher speeds really feel the lack of inhibition and after some time bent shields.

#33 · (Edited)
In Poland it's approx. 1850$ with all duty's and taxes. Using it in company costs it will be 1370$.
I can buy ring for rotor's in KSport only too.. Maybe not? I don't know. :)
I will care about it if ring rotors will be broken or end..
Now I drive with OEM brakes and wait for rims and new tire 245.

PS. Info from CorkSport Germany:
Price of Spare Parts Pair of Rotors: 419€ - I think in US it will be chipper.
Brake Pads is the same use like K-Sport just Stoptech Pads will not fit directly.
So you can use Ferodo, EBC Brakes and all other which fits Impreza WRX.
You will be chipper CorkSport rotors than my KSport rings ~ 620€.
Europe is too expensive for their people.. :(

Attachments

#35 ·
There is a better BBK for a good price from Ceika performance, its cost more 1330$ but with better kit

13" 330mm rotor / 325mm rotor from corksport and this 325mm size it not common and you will NEVER find any one sell this size only through corksport
6 piston caliper from ceika / 4 piston for corksport
2 pice rotor made from FC30 / 1 pice made from FC25 and heavier
brake pad from 5 manufacturer and you can chose / Hawk hb700 only for corksport ( common size - no issue - )

and I believe extra 180$ is worth for Ceika :)

#36 ·
I would feel a lot more safe bying from a known company like Corksport.

#38 ·
$1150 just for looks, because with the stock HP, you don't really need big brakes lol

This car is seriously underpowered. Also, you would need to get new wheels to properly showcase your new brake kit and rotors, that's assuming you keep the 19" tires, then you would have to lower the vehicle, who installs aftermarket wheels on a stock suspension? You would need to buy aftermarket shock/struts and springs, which will easily run you close to 1k. All in all, including installation, wheels, suspension, big brake kit, alignment, is gonna run you 3k easily.

If you are financing the car, you're better off using those 3k to pay it off sooner. You never know.

#42 ·
That is false. Big brake kits do not require lowering the car. Most of these kits would fit the 19" wheel. Normally when you buy the BB kit, the supplier would send you, before purchase, a template for you to measure whether it would fit. I have done a lot of research a couple of years back on BB kit. At that time there were hardly any available. Over a year ago, I read a thread that a member in Malaysia has fitted his 6 with Ceaka kit. After back and forth with Ceaka. I drop the idea and just live with the lousy OEM brakes. Repeat, you do not have to lower your car or change any of the suspension for BB kit!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.