Progress Anti-Sway Bar = New RSB option? - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-23-2016, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Rally Racer

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Groans: 22
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Garage
Progress Anti-Sway Bar = New RSB option?

Since removing my JBR RSB due to excessive ride harshness, I've been searching for a replacement to tighten up the rear that's not so stiff. I had recently noticed that the Corksport, JBR, and Ultra Racing RSB's are the same for the Mazda 3 and 6. A clue. I started browsing some 3 forums and saw a lot of positive reviews for this bar from Progress:

Progress Technology: Anti-roll bars, sport springs, coil-overs, camber kits and more since 1995!

It's apparently almost as stiff as the Corksport bar, but doesn't have the CS bar's dreaded clunk (which mz3 owners are reporting as well). I actually like that it has beefier mounting brackets that are not as obnoxious as the billet pieces from JBR and CS. Those JBR brackets were a pain to install and probably added to the harshness of the ride.

Anyway, I ended up ordering the Progress bar for $145.33 shipped and am very happy about it. They look to be out of stock at several places, so who knows when it will arrive. Just wanted to get a post up here for anyone else that wants to take a chance (which looks to be a slam dunk) on this bar in the meantime, as it will probably be a few months before I get it installed.
fireandicekarim and derek0609 like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Donkey Grundle For This Useful Post:
mcbru (03-24-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-23-2016, 04:03 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a Progress bar on my 1st gen and loved it. Have a JBR bar on my 14 and rides great with Tanabe springs.

Steve
2014 6 Sport mtx
Meteor Grey
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-23-2016, 08:52 PM

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
I like the price.

Sent from the wrong side of the tracks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-24-2016, 01:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Groans: 4
Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
The Progress RSB's work really well. Great product!
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
Rally Racer

Garage
Post-Install Update

Abstract: I freakin' love it. Perfect in all aspects.

Background: The body roll and understeer in the Mz6 is excessive to say the least. Tanabe NF210 springs helped a bit, but I really wanted to lock up the rear with a stiffer RSB to help the car through corners without adding harshness to the ride.

I kept reading about how people with the Corksport RSB get a bothersome clunking noise and some have reported it rubbing in areas. Did not want that. As much as I also didn't want a giant overkill bar, I picked up a used JBR RSB for cheap and gave it a shot. The car cornered absolutely flat, but the rear end was far too stiff for city roads. Out came the JBR RSB and in went the stock bar, sacrificing handling for comfort as any pansy would do.

***Special note: the ride was still fairly stiff with the OE RSB -- presumably because I severely overtorqued the brackets (and the bushings are not lubricated). The service manual calls for the nuts to be tightened to 16-19 ft-lbs to just barely compress the rubber bushings. I cranked them down to probably 50-60 ft-lbs. When I went to remove the OE bar, it was so bound up in the bushings that I couldn't rotate it even with the nuts loose. I had done the same thing with the JBR RSB. Installer beware.

Procedure: I found the Progress RSB (see first post) and went about installing it this weekend.

1. I measured the two bars:
OE: 17.15mm
Progress: 22.40mm
This was interesting since the Progress website lists the OE bar at 18mm. It's super wimpy either way. The Progress bar is a monster comparatively. It felt very strong and the welds/brackets looked good. (It's a steel bar woo!)

2. Since this bar isn't marketed for the 6, I went ahead and overlaid it with the OE bar to make sure the dimensions were comparable. We good.

3. Compared the brackets. Digging the slotted holes on the Progress brackets. Made install much easier.

Note: I despised the giant billet brackets that came with the JBR RSB. It was nearly impossible to get a tool in there to tighten the nuts. That's one of the reasons that I overtorqued them -- if they had come loose, I probably would have just put the car into a lake rather than deal with them again.

4. Compared the bracket placement. Everything looks good--into the car with you!

5. Now we get to the part where I overtorque the mounting brackets again NOT SO FAST. These brackets have stiffer polyurethane bushings that don't need to be compressed. I was able to tighten the brackets all the way down without fear of binding the bushings. I believe ecstatic is the word. I cranked the nuts down, locking the brackets onto the subframe, and could still freely rotate the bar. This was not the case with the OE or JBR bars. I would also not even consider describing it as "loose" since the stiff poly bushings don't compress like the rubber ones. They act more like a lubed up plastic sleeve than anything.

6. Clearance check -- all is well. I should note that I slid the brackets up/towards the front of the car before tightening the nuts to maximize the clearance for the ends to rotate. It looked like it would have been fine if mounted all the we down/towards the rear, though. No concerns about clunking here.

Results: Perfection. The car rides better than I can remember. The bar is free to rotate in the poly bushings as the suspension travels over bumps, so no more jarring railroad crossings. The body roll is greatly diminished. The reduction in understeer is already comparable with the JBR tank barrel on the soft setting, but the firm setting may be even more fun. I installed it on the soft setting to start and will keep it there until I get my Koni FSD's installed & broken in.

I think that's all I have to share on this bar. It's cheap, well made, and functionally perfect for me. Very happy customer here.
fireandicekarim likes this.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Donkey Grundle For This Useful Post:
ballsy (04-05-2016), derek0609 (04-05-2016), fireandicekarim (04-05-2016), kufliclicks (05-09-2017), mazpro2 (12-08-2016), mcbru (04-05-2016)
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 02:49 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Garage
Good stuff. I hope it's a nice quality poly bushing otherwise it may loosen up and make noise down the road. Might need to get me one of these soon!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2014 Mazda6 Sport with 6-speed
- Koni Sport Dampers with H&R Springs
- Morimoto 4500k HIDs
2001 Miata Project (blown engine)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 05:29 PM
Track Racer

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Garage
How much of a PITA is this? It was pretty straight forward on my 2010 Speed3. Thanks.

2018 Kia Stinger GT AWD - 3.3TT - 365hp/376ft-lbs
2016 Mazda 6 I Touring - SOLD
MR/Bose/Sat Package - Tech Package
AEM Dry Filter - CS Axle Back Exhaust - AutoExe Strut Tower Bar - AutoExe Hood Dampers - AutoExe Oil Cap
AutoExe Shift knob - AutoExe Intake Suction Kit - Tanabe NF210 Springs - KONI Sport Yellow shocks - 19' Matte Bronze TSW Nurburgring Wheels
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 06:25 PM

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Good news, indeed. Looking more attractive for my 3.

Sent from the wrong side of the tracks.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 07:04 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
You have to lower the rear subframe

Steve
2014 6 Sport mtx
Meteor Grey
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
Rally Racer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbru View Post
Good stuff. I hope it's a nice quality poly bushing otherwise it may loosen up and make noise down the road. Might need to get me one of these soon!
I should hope so. The Mz3 guys love this company and their product. Haven't seen them say anything about noise from the bushings [yet]. It came with synthetic grease...so that's good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek0609 View Post
How much of a PITA is this? It was pretty straight forward on my 2010 Speed3. Thanks.
It's kind of a bear since it mounts on top of the subframe. It would have been a lot easier if I had a 14mm deep well 1/4" drive socket. My 1/4" drive deep sockets only go up to 13mm, so I had to do everything with a 3/8" drive wrench and it is very difficult to fit a long wrench in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatty04 View Post
You have to lower the rear subframe
You don't have to lower the subframe for a non-JBR RSB, but it's really simple and makes the removal/install a lot easier. I did it with this bar just to give myself more room to turn the longer-than-necessary wrench.

And as scary as lowering the subframe sounds, it's a matter of loosening four nuts (and removing two if you want even more room to work). It won't fall out of the car or screw up the alignment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page