Mazda 6 Forums banner

Time for new brakes, & maybe rotors

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  first mazda 
#1 ·
It's been a while since I've ventured out of the lounge. After going back to school while I'm working the 6 has sadly taken less priority for me. So much so I may have neglected something too long. I'm at about 56,000 miles and about a week to a week and a half ago I noticed a slight grind coming from the passenger side of the car. I still can't tell if it's front or back but since then I've taken it easy on the braking until I could get the car in for scheduled service tomorrow (another issue, the master tech has been on vacation).

I know that brakes make a god awful sound when it's time (or when it's too late) to change them. The one I've heard isn't earth shattering but a low grinding grumble still. I feel nervous, like before a doctor's appointment - at the point where you start to hear grinding are you already doing damage to your rotors as well? I'm wondering for those of you who rode out the stock brakes for their life how long they lasted you, and about the life of the rotors as well. Do they usually need replacing at the same time?

I don't have a lot to shell out these days but I don't mess around too much when it comes to wheels and brakes. No, I don't know how to change my brakes and I don't really have the time or place to learn how to now so I think I may not have much choice aside from letting the dealership check it out, tell me what the damage is, and let them do what they need to do. Do any of you suggest a different route - like buying my own set of brakes (and rotors, if necessary) and taking it to a shop (or even the dealer) to install or should I just let the dealer take care of it all? I just want to be prepared for what they may tell me tomorrow. I have been reading the recent posts about brakes tonight and damn near fainted when I read about one person's estimate being about $1,000! OMGWTF!

Thanks for the advice and opinions!

See less See more
#2 ·
It's been a while since I've ventured out of the lounge. After going back to school while I'm working the 6 has sadly taken less priority for me. So much so I may have neglected something too long. I'm at about 56,000 miles and about a week to a week and a half ago I noticed a slight grind coming from the passenger side of the car. I still can't tell if it's front or back but since then I've taken it easy on the braking until I could get the car in for scheduled service tomorrow (another issue, the master tech has been on vacation).

I know that brakes make a god awful sound when it's time (or when it's too late) to change them. The one I've heard isn't earth shattering but a low grinding grumble still. I feel nervous, like before a doctor's appointment - at the point where you start to hear grinding are you already doing damage to your rotors as well? I'm wondering for those of you who rode out the stock brakes for their life how long they lasted you, and about the life of the rotors as well. Do they usually need replacing at the same time?

I don't have a lot to shell out these days but I don't mess around too much when it comes to wheels and brakes. No, I don't know how to change my brakes and I don't really have the time or place to learn how to now so I think I may not have much choice aside from letting the dealership check it out, tell me what the damage is, and let them do what they need to do. Do any of you suggest a different route - like buying my own set of brakes (and rotors, if necessary) and taking it to a shop (or even the dealer) to install or should I just let the dealer take care of it all? I just want to be prepared for what they may tell me tomorrow. I have been reading the recent posts about brakes tonight and damn near fainted when I read about one person's estimate being about $1,000! OMGWTF!

Thanks for the advice and opinions!
[/b]
I just installed my frozens-slotted and hawks hps. this combination is great and maybe $500 at most.

#5 ·
I did my own brakes on my '02 Protege5 and it's fairly simple. I can't imagine ~6 brakes are any more complicated.

I just buy new disks instead of dealing with rusty parts and getting them turned. It coast a bit more, but you save a LOT by doing it yourself so you easily make up the difference and then some.

Plus kit gives you the chance to upgrade materials.

#6 ·
I did my own brakes on my '02 Protege5 and it's fairly simple. I can't imagine ~6 brakes are any more complicated.

I just buy new disks instead of dealing with rusty parts and getting them turned. It coast a bit more, but you save a LOT by doing it yourself so you easily make up the difference and then some.

Plus kit gives you the chance to upgrade materials.
[/b]
I paid $399 for the frozen on a group buy and $89 for a set of hawks hps and $125 for installation. therefore, the total cam out ot $615.

#8 ·
Well I got the call late in the day and the report was that my rear brakes definitely needed replacing - rear right. I guess, though, that you do both sides together so that was one thing. He said I lucked out and didn't run down my rotors to the point of replacement, yet. However, they did need to be resurfaced. Whether or not this is something you always have to do when you change the brakes (not likely) or if it was due to the grinding for a week (more likely) I didn't ask. He estimated this at $270. So I called around to get ballpark rates. One of the other 3 dealerships quoted $290, but the last one quoted $418! WTF?! That last guy was a moron, though - he first asked if my 6 was a year 2000, and then asked if it was "the sedan version"?!

Then I called Midas (chain brake place) and a local shop, estimates at $112 and $162, respectively. I take it that's from a lower hourly rate and "standard, over the shelf brakes". I figured since my shit was already grinding so badly I didn't want to risk screwing the rotors to the point of replacement so I just let the current dealer take care of it.

I wish I had the time, place and patience right now to learn how to tackle the brakes on my own. I don't know if it'd be a 'fun' project, but it'd be good to know. Between work and school and general stress, however, I'll pay someone to do it for me. I was also told the front brakes will need to be replaced soon. More time now to look into that, I guess.

Funny, I thought the front brakes would go before the rear ones...

#9 ·
Sounds like the dealer is being honest. You never mix friction material. Correct brake jobs include resurfacing/replacing the rotors. You always want to put new pads on a fresh surface. Warn rotors (especially grinding rotors) get hot spots, glaze, and end up causing noise.

A midas can put a decent set of pads on your car. Ask for an upgrade and they can go for something better than house-brand. You can even call them and ask them to put Mazda pads on it. It would probably still be cheaper.

#10 ·
I would definately reconsider taking it to the dealer. I imagine some people enjoy a good ass-raping, but I'll pass. If you don't want to take the time to learn to install them yourself, take it to Pep Boys, Midas, Meinke, Monroe, Jack Williams, or one of the other myriad of places that does this type of work, but please, do not take it to the dealer.

#11 ·
I'm running the EBC Slotted + Dimpled rotors and hawk hps brakes...holy crap what a difference. I would definately recommend this setup, great price too! A member here drove my car and noticed a big difference between my brakes and the stock setup.

Also note, I didn't bleed the brakes.

#12 ·
Well, by the time my car was in there I think I was cutting it pretty close. After getting the estimates over the phone I thought it best to just let the dealer take care of it while the car was already there. That dealership is a half hour away and I've noticed today that the wheel that was doing the grinding is yellow/black from all the crap that came off from the grinding. Rather than picking it up and taking it somewhere else, getting a ride to and from work, etc, I let the dealer do it.

Resurfacing the rotors (both rear) and replacing both rear brakes cost $271 - but I had a 15% off coupon from them (sent in the mail every few months or so) and it ended up being $240. For that being the first time having to pay for any actual service done to the car I'll take it.

What's funny is that today I get a call from the manager over at Midas in reference to my quote inquiry the other week - he was following up. I explained to him the above and told him he could quote me the fronts. He said $99 to resurface and replace both fronts. Holy crap! So I asked if they used "off the shelf no name brake pads" and he said he could use whatever I wanted. I could either get them myself or they could get it and install them for me. The cost for that would be the new price of the pads + $74 for resurfacing and labor. I may just grab a set of nice pads and bring my car to them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.