Alignment .. "in Spec" Not Good Enough - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 454 (permalink) Old 03-29-2007, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Groans: 5
Groaned at 8 Times in 6 Posts
Reviewed 5-21-16

Mazda allows over 1/4" toe-in (measured at tires), front or rear. This will be "in spec" and eat up tires and mpg's. Alignment shops hope to do minimal adjustments for the fixed price deals.

This is an Official Mazda Alignment Spec from the FSM. Thanks to Final Impact:

http://forum.mazda6club.com/3489475-post2.html
-- All MS6 & M6 Models, OEM Align't Specs for each model

M6 OEM Alignment Spec's are also in "the steering pull link" below. [Note Mazda's OEM spec's use degrees and minutes for units, where 17' = 17 minutes = (17min)/(60min/deg) =.28 deg]

These 3 "back-up" links below show Alignments Spec's based on a Shop's Alignment rig software. They may show averaged Generalized Specs for all M6 & MS6 models. Best to use the better link above.

http://forum.mazda6club.com/attachme...ough-specs.jpg

http://forum.mazda6club.com/speed6-s...ml#post2925490

http://forum.mazda6club.com/attachme...-alignment.jpg

Three links work, KJK, 5-12-16

Suggested Alignment Spec

For street use, pay extra if needed, but set front and rear total toe-in at .09 deg +/- .04 deg ( .045" +/- .022" @ Hunter reference tire OD* , or .04" +/- .02" across tire OD ). Rear camber of -1.6 deg MS6, and -1.1 M6 deg (spec targets), +/-.2 deg. [ Be clear about the toe spec units: degrees is typically used]

Ask for their before and after alignment data sheets.

---------------------------------------------------------

If you're into racing type handling, SPC adjustable front ball joints are a must. Mazda front camber spec is between +.7 deg and -1.28 deg. I'd start at 1.2 deg negative. +/.- .2 deg. This will also reduce excessive wear of the outer edge when enjoying the curves.

SPC Ball Joints

http://www.spcalignment.net/instruct...30-INS_WEB.pdf <--- Instructions

For autox, drag, or circuit driving, others can suggest more aggressive spec's. But this gets you in the right ball park for normal use.

If you run wide 40 series tires, and don't corner hard a lot at track events, high neg camber (-2 deg or more) will wear out the inner tire edges.

----------------------------------------------------------

Steering Pull TSB

If car pulls to the right, make sure right front caster is greater than left. Special upper control arms are available to change caster. This link describes the issue and includes includes a pdf link to Mazda's TSB:

http://forum.mazda6club.com/suspensi...ml#post2749204

The MS6 has same front upper control arms as the M6. Lower control arms have stiffer bushings.

* Hunter uses a Reference Tire Diameter for all of their car toe-in mearurement conversions from degrees to inches or mm's. They use 28.65 inches or 727.7 mm diameter, regarless of the car's actual tire size. For quick conversions to degrees from Hunter results or spec'n displays in inches: 2 x inches = degrees . Note your typical MS6 tire is about 25.6 inches at the tire OD.

NOTE TO MEMBERS:

1) IF you have a link to the Mazda6 alignment spec'ns, even by way of an alignment sheet that includes the spec'ns, please send me a message and I'll include it here.

2) IF a link no longer works, please send me a message and I'll try to fix it.

KevinK2

04 6S atx hatch
93 RX-7, 75 Trident

Last edited by KevinK2; 05-21-2016 at 06:51 PM. Reason: Added Reference Tire Dia used by Hunter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 454 (permalink) Old 03-29-2007, 08:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks man. VERY good information for everyone here. This should be stickied. I can second your findings as I have my alignment set within the specs you posted. Not only am I netting better mpg, but, my tires are not wearing on the edges after 2k miles, and the car isn&#39;t drifting like it used to. I&#39;m not too worried about cornering harder since I&#39;m in TX. We don&#39;t have many curves.

I&#39;ll post up my alignment specs when I get a chance.

2006 Mazdaspeed6 I LOVE this car!
RPM Sport Springs~Bilstein HD Shocks~RX8 Rims w/Yokohama 225-45s~SPC Adjustable Ball Joints~HKS SSQ BOV~35% Tint~CP-E "O.G." Single Catback Exhaust w/two resonators~TMW Short Shifter Stage II w/Cobb Shifter Weight~CP-E CAI~Audiolink~ETS 3.25 TMIC~Upgraded hoses~TurboXS race pipe~CP-E front engine mount~Vent Pod w/VEI boost gauge~CP-E CDFP, MPI built K04 turbo, Cobb AP
post #3 of 454 (permalink) Old 03-29-2007, 10:05 PM

Groans: 1
Thanks for this information. I don&#39;t pretend to understand it all, but what I&#39;d like to know is how many "mpg" are we talking about here if one car is at the worst extreme vs the best extreme for mpg on the toe in?

Not happy with my mpg so far and interested in anything I can do to improve it.

2012 Volvo S60 T6

Previous cars: ['06 MazdaSpeed6 GT (M6)] -- ['04 Mazda 6S (M5)] -- ['01 Pontiac RamAir T/A (M6)] -- ['99 Pontiac T/A (A4)] -- [12 cars so far and counting]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 454 (permalink) Old 04-19-2007, 06:17 PM
LBV

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Groans: 0
You know, this info s/b posted as a sticky as I had my alignment done twice ... once "to spec" and then again to fix the camber on the back.

2007 MS6 sold .... new wheels = G8 GXP manual.
post #5 of 454 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 11:17 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to cherryspeed
Well it wouldn&#39;t surprise me to find out my camber is set the most aggressive:

Front -2.2, Rear -3.3

Car handles like a dream . I do not expect the tires to last long.
post #6 of 454 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 11:20 AM

I used the spec posted above with -1.2 camber in the front. As I posted before, it feels like the car just lost 1000#&#39;s. Turns in more like my Mx-5, not like the heavy pig it was. Main reason I did it was to cure the chewing up of the outside edge of my Proxes 4&#39;s, which occurred after 1000 miles of straight interstate highway driving. I have sinced put the summer tires on, 235/40 T1-r&#39;s on Rx8 rims and just did not want to see those chewed up as well.
post #7 of 454 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 01:18 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
alright, you&#39;ve convinced me to get the spc ball joints. good info kevin. sticky please.
post #8 of 454 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 06:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I haven&#39;t ordered SPC ball joints yet, but my setup is 0.00 toe front and rear, and -1.0 degree camber in the rear. Once I get the SPC ball joints I"m going to run -1.5 degrees in the front and toe out the rear 0.1" The car handles crazy now, I&#39;m on Eibach Sportlines with Koni shocks, and both RB sways with AWR endlinks.

CANADA / TORONTO MAZDA6CLUB MODERATOR Current Dyno - 205whp, 180wtq
post #9 of 454 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Well it wouldn&#39;t surprise me to find out my camber is set the most aggressive:

Front -2.2, Rear -3.3

Car handles like a dream . I do not expect the tires to last long.[/b]
Don&#39;t you find that the car has too much rear grip with -3.3°? With the front weight and drive bias of the vehicle, I&#39;m running more front camber than rear:
-2.3° in front -2.0° rear with zero toe all the way around. I should have the toe set out a little out in the front, but this is a daily driver first and the tires will wear out fast enough with the camber settings.

For reference, at the track, I&#39;m running 245/35-18 Hoosier A3S05&#39;s with phenomenal results. The combination of a good allignmnet (requiring adjustable ball joints in this case) and sticky tires really wakes this car up: worth every penny for both. It looks like the allignment and tires picked up between 3 & 4 seconds (out of 55 or so) at the autocross over the stock allignment and the Falken Azenis, which is an eternity in an autocross.

2007 BMW 328i, very stock with Navigation, which is kinda cool because you can playback MP3 DVD&#39;s through the navigation system. 4.7 Gigs of MP3&#39;s is a real blatter buster!
2006 Ford Expedition King Ranch, may be stock, but it&#39;s loaded
1991 Taurus SHO gross-poluter, not road worthy
SOLD and Already Missed 2006 Mazdaspeed6 Velocity Red Mica, CP-E CAI, HKS BOV, Straight pipes, RPM K-Spec Springs, Koni Adjustable shocks, Whiteline Rear Sway Bar, SPC Adjustable Ball Joints, CX7 Wheels with 235/40/18 Fierce(?) tires for the street, RX-8 Wheels, 245/35/18 Hoosier A3S05&#39;s for autocrosses, home grown fender roll, CP-E Dogbone, Autoexe Wheel Cover, Autoexe CF Shift knob, Autoexe lug nuts, SU Silicone Boost Hoses
post #10 of 454 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 09:21 AM

Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
James, with the 245/35 Hoosier tires and the negative front camber, do you still have clearance between the front tires and the suspension on the inside of the tire? I just got 245 Azenis and when I put them on, there is almost no clearance left on the inside. I have the adjustable ball joints waiting to be installed, but I&#39;m not sure I even have room to add negative front camber with the autocross tires.

2006 MS6- Titanium Gray w/White on Black Interior, Moonroof, Tint, Sharkfin Antenna
*Fujita CAI*CPE CBE*Forge BPV*GT Spec Trailing Braces*SU Rear Motor Mount*TT Rear Diff Front Mount*BSD*PTP Windage Trey*
*EBC Red Stuff Pads*Stoptech Rotors*Whiteline Rear Sway Bar*RPM K-Spec Springs*
*RPM Adjustable Ball Joints (-2.2 degrees front and rear)*Koni Yellow Shocks*
*17x8 et 48 Raze R74&#39;s with 245/45/17 Dunlop Star Specs (for AutoX days)*
The Following User Says NO Thank You to Chucky12012 For This Un-useful Post:
christiandsison (12-16-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page