Electrical Issues.. *sigh* - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Electrical Issues.. *sigh*

I recently went to did stupid things with a volt-meter and my radio. I was probin' the Aux(Tape) Connector and it sparked.. Now, nothing works.. No lights (Including dome), No start, No door locks, its D...E..A..D..

First things first, I check the 120A Main fuse.. Looks fine, tested fine with the multi-meter.. The main fuse block appears to be getting power (reading 12.3v in the open blade-fuse ports). The All-Data DVD schematics are, frankly, gibberish to me..

Thinking a fusable link/inline, but I have no idea WHERE to start looking.. Also, how in the hell does one get the fuse block out of the housing???! I release the tabs and try and pull up and it hangs on the harness that enters the block directly below the 120A fuse.. There is no slack.. I even removed the air-box and intake, bolts to the fuse-block itself, etc to see if I can lean it forward to get some slack.. Nada..

Help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 12:36 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groaned at 4 Times in 2 Posts
I cant remember right off, but I think there is another smaller fuse block under the steering wheel. I havent looked under there in so long I cant remember what exactly is under there.

2006 Mazdaspeed 6
-------------------
First Ever P&P, flow benched, big valve 2.3L DISI head with inconel exhaust valves and welded EGR
First Ever MZR DISI Cams - Exhaust: .348 lift with 204 @ .050" & Intake: .398 lift with 216 @ .050"; LSA = 115
First Ever crankcase breather with integrated air/oil seperator
First Ever CNC AN-12 ORB block oil adapter
and too much other stuff to list.
Tuned by Steve @ Versatune
06Speed6 on MSF, TexasSpeed6 on m247(LOL)
The Following User Says Thank You to Quakeguy For This Useful Post:
Grommish (09-11-2010)
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 08:26 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Send a message via AIM to superskaterxes
i would check every fuse in both fuse boxes. its also a PITA to remove the engine fusebox and you are on the right track you just need to pull a little more. just be careful that you dont pull out any of the fuse block wire connections underneath cause you will have a hell of a time putting them back.

2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT Black Mica #4126
GT3076R ~ TXS BOV ~ Custom 3" MAF SRI w/ giant AEM filter ~ AP ~ FMIC ~ CPE DP ~ DNP Mani w/Tial 38mm MV-S EWG VTA'd~ CPE BT TIP ~ TWM Stage 1 ~ CPE RMM ~ TTFMM ~ CPE RDM ~ BC CO's slammed ~ SPC BJ's ~ EBC Red's ~ Stoptech's ~ Technafit SS Lines ~ Autometer Boost & STRI EGT ~ 20% Tint ~ LED Tails ~ Denso ITV-24's ~ Xtra Shorty Antenna ~ Dashhawk ~ CPE Dual CBE ~ Whiteline RSB ~ PnP'd IM ~ CDFP Internals ~ labonte meth kit
The Following User Says Thank You to superskaterxes For This Useful Post:
Grommish (09-11-2010)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 08:49 AM
Lowspeed

Mentioned: 170 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 621 Post(s)
Thanked 3,289 Times in 2,156 Posts
Groans: 1
Groaned at 8 Times in 8 Posts
Once you un-clip the tabs & lift up a bit, there are also two bolts under the fuse box that need to be removed before you can lift the underhood fuse box.

That said, I doubt that is where the problem lies-

Grab your meter & start looking at the interior fuse panel in the drivers side footwell kick panel.

Sold 7/2016- Mazdaspeed6 GT #3476 TiGray slicktop, fully bolted & badass

1and1
135i - E82.N54 2009 BSM - MHD S1+ / xHP S3 / PR CP & IC / RB PCV / Borla
. . . . RSFI, Koni & Eibach, Dinan CP's & M3 CA's / EBC Red's & Firehawk 500's
X1 - E84.N20 2013 MGM - JB4 - The Wife's
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TiGraySpeed6 For This Useful Post:
dougefresh_ (09-21-2010), Grommish (09-11-2010)
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 07:35 PM

Groans: 15
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
its a stupid small fuse in the driver's seat area. look to the left compartment.

I've blown that fuse like 3 times. now i just carry a nice complement of extra fuses in the car just in case.

before anyone calls me an idiot for not fixing the problem, rather than patching a bandaid -- I do a LOT of electrical stuff and experimental things in my car. I blow it because i short it out, not because i'm overloading it. I dont like disconnecting the battery :\

Remember kids, don't be a dumbbutt like me.

'07 MS63071R

lol.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to p057 For This Useful Post:
dougefresh_ (09-21-2010), Grommish (09-11-2010)
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-11-2010, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Quote:
Originally Posted by p057 View Post
its a stupid small fuse in the driver's seat area. look to the left compartment.

I've blown that fuse like 3 times. now i just carry a nice complement of extra fuses in the car just in case.

before anyone calls me an idiot for not fixing the problem, rather than patching a bandaid -- I do a LOT of electrical stuff and experimental things in my car. I blow it because i short it out, not because i'm overloading it. I dont like disconnecting the battery :\

Remember kids, don't be a dumbbutt like me.
Ding! Ding! Ding!

Ok.. This whole ordeal was WAAAY more than it ever should have been..

You were right, it was the 15A ROOM Fuse.. I've dealt with this lil barstid before on other cars, but it's NEVER controlled so much as on them..

It does not only the Radio, Dome, Dash, etc.. It also controls (or at least leads into) the Doors, windows, and ADVANCED KEY..

I did, after many hours of cursing, get the fuse block out to change the 120A main (I mangles it but good before I found it was bolted down), and as an aside, the fuse block itself isn't bolted to anything.. its the 4 tabs. HOWEVER.. The block does come apart in the middle (once you find the releases) and there is almost ZERO play in the harness..

I was completely thrown by the fact that 1) I have Advanced Key and 2) Nothing worked.. I figured the Main fuse blew, but I didn't see any damage to it.. I was getting readings, but the schematics show a parrelle circuit for the brakes/hazards that bypass the 120A main. I was forced to wonder if the 12v I was reading at the fuse block wasn't somehow back-channeling it way thru the ciruit and giving me false readings..

In the end, I had the Airbox out, fuseblock out, Batt out.. $4 for the 120A fuse. because of a 15A blade-fuse inside..

in my defense, I do have to say that the car wouldn't even turn over (no crank) because the advance key/immobilizer wasn't working.. that's what led me to believe it was a system-wide electrical failure.. Once I got a bright moment and tried my aux key.. yah.. worked.. FML..

Thanks again to all who posted in the thread with ideas and tips.. Very much appreciated.. I'd have done something wrong if I had the car towed to the dealer and $90/hr shop time for a 10 cent fuse..
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-19-2016, 08:35 PM
Learners License

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grommish View Post
Ding! Ding! Ding!

I did, after many hours of cursing, get the fuse block out to change the 120A main (I mangles it but good before I found it was bolted down), and as an aside, the fuse block itself isn't bolted to anything.. its the 4 tabs. HOWEVER.. The block does come apart in the middle (once you find the releases) and there is almost ZERO play in the harness
Does anybody know where these mysterious releases are located and what exactly has to be done to release them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page