LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-18-2007, 09:30 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to TCSpeed6
has anyone started getting into some situation where the clutch isn't holding stock power any longer? I'm interested to know if some kind of lilfe span has been developed yet for the stock clutch. I am coming up on 9k miles on the car, and while that by no means is mileage where a clutch should go out, I don't want to have to worry about it later on. I want to give myself plenty of time to see who's going to make a clutch for the car. And maybe even suggest the idea to a few places, like Southbend, so i dont' have to worry about pedal pressure on setups like ACT.

I'm one of those guys who will upgrade this shit before adding power mod, so I can actually get the power to the wheels when I do get it.

<div align="center">06 MS6 GT |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

207AWHP 92 octane - 100% stock
Dyno Dynamics AWD Dyno
---------------------------------------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-18-2007, 10:45 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to ATE BALLER
I&#39;m at 24,000 miles and no slippage yet (knocking on wood). My Evo burnt through the OEM clutch in just less than 10,000 miles, so I am pleased with this one even if it goes out tomarrow. I&#39;d really like to see some options come to the market though.

V-Band Catless DP//Corksport CBE//Liquid-Air IC//GReddy Type-S BOV//GReddy Profec E-01 BC (first)//SU, AWR, & TT motor & diff mounts//TWM STS, bushings, & Desert Eagle knob//Walbro 255lph high pressure in-tank fuel pump (first/only)(I want more!)//F2 BSD//PTP Windage Tray//Redline hood struts//Stoptech Slotted Rotors w/ PosiQuiet Semi-Metalic Pads all around//WOT Box (first)//Kenwood 1800W RMS system (infinate baffel)
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-18-2007, 02:17 PM
Mazda Guru

most people will not need these upgrades for quite some time but having options out there would be nice

Let&#39;s say a lightweight aluminum flywheel with a few different levels of clutch disk/pressure plate choices.

ACT would be great

2006 Mazdaspeed 6
386awhp/376awtq
beat that!

intake Performed by whoosh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-18-2007, 04:17 PM

Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via AIM to speedgal
I have 27 k on mine and no issues Knock on wood!

2006 Dark Cherry Mazdaspeed 6
Zoom Zoom Baby
<strike>2004 Mazda RX-8 Grand Touring (for sale!!) </strike>GONE!!!!
2005 Mazda Tribute
2006 Yamaha R6
2003 Ski Doo MXZ600 Rev
2001 Polaris XCSP Edge
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-18-2007, 04:35 PM

A clutch that experiences excessive Noob wear is on Average supposed to last over 36K miles. i think we are fine as far as how strong this clutch is...

<span style="font-family:Georgia">06 mazdaspeed6 Sport w Nav --- If it&#39;s too good to be true, It&#39;s too good for you!!</span>
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-18-2007, 04:37 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to ATE BALLER
Not with bigger turbos, we won&#39;t be for long.

V-Band Catless DP//Corksport CBE//Liquid-Air IC//GReddy Type-S BOV//GReddy Profec E-01 BC (first)//SU, AWR, & TT motor & diff mounts//TWM STS, bushings, & Desert Eagle knob//Walbro 255lph high pressure in-tank fuel pump (first/only)(I want more!)//F2 BSD//PTP Windage Tray//Redline hood struts//Stoptech Slotted Rotors w/ PosiQuiet Semi-Metalic Pads all around//WOT Box (first)//Kenwood 1800W RMS system (infinate baffel)
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-18-2007, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to TCSpeed6
Yeah, once a tuning package comes out and frees up some hp to the wheels I wonder how that stock clutch will work. If it&#39;s designed to hold "x" then that could be another reason for the power robbing rich tunes on the MS6 from the factory.

Anyone put their car though the motions with some constant 1/4 mile runs or even autu x? I&#39;m worried that due to the production, only places like ACT and Mazdaspeed will come out with options for us. With the Mazdaspeed items, it will just be overpriced and re-badged items. With ACT it&#39;s heavy pedla pressure. I&#39;m gonna have a local shop find out if Southbend is interested.

<div align="center">06 MS6 GT |

207AWHP 92 octane - 100% stock
Dyno Dynamics AWD Dyno
---------------------------------------

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-22-2007, 03:41 PM

Southbend is already doing it. I have been a Southbend dealer for a couple years and I contacted Andy months ago and sent my clutch in to have him go over it, test plate loads, determine power holding limits, and come up with a friction material that fits the OEM disc and has the proper thickness. I have been running it for months and have been abbusing it pretty regularly. It is all good.

We have a complete pressure plate, disc, flywheel on its way from Japan to Andy right now to be looked at for consideration. He is going to look at making a flywheel that will allow us to toss the LUK self adjusting design in the trash, and go with a new pressure plate that will allow for a 200lb increase in plate load. The OEM plate load is at 2300 lbs. There are good candidates out there with 2500-2600 lb plate load spring packages. Until the assembly from Japan hits Andy, we are at a stand still. The OEM 2300 lb plate load with the correct friction material can live happily behind 500 FT/LB of TQ and allow for upto 7 seconds of slipping before the flywheel starts to melt. The option for a dual disc is also going to be considered, and if this were to become reality it would allow for much more slip with much less heat. The probability of a double disk is admitted as being a small chance. Even Andy is not holding his breath for that.

With minimal out of pocket expense, you can have your OEM disc restored to a condition that will FAR out perform the OEM disc. There are not any Speeds that I have read about yet that are past what we can make the OEM disc handle. With the upcoming turbo upgrades and hopefully the upcoming tuning devices....we may see 500+ FT/LB. So far I dont think its an issue!

2006 Black Cherry Speed6 7800 miles

TurboXS Blow Off Valve Adapter
TurboXS Type-H Real Freaking Loud Blow Off Valve vented to the atmosphere

TurboXS Fuel Cut Defender
TurboXS CAT Delete Pipe

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-22-2007, 05:47 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Groans: 6
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via AIM to BigBens6
200 ftlbs is not that significant an increase, but with the proper frition material it could work well. I used a SBC clutch on my PGT and it held well, I over heated the hell out of it once and while engagement in 1st felt different if you dropped it into 2nd or 3rd it would still chrip the tires easily. WHY do people want a light weight flywheel?!?!? THis car already suffers form low end lack of torque....

2006 Ti Grey MS6

Quote:
I'd rather replace my brakes than my engine, so other than the occasional heel/toe downshift I don't put the stress on the engine of compression braking. It's not a diesel.
"I know right? Engine braking...thats crazy. Holy crap though...can you imagine engine acceleration? Jeezus. I'm glad I don't do that!"
- Crossbow -
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-22-2007, 10:13 PM

Quote:
THis car already suffers form low end lack of torque....[/b]

uhhh....compared to what? a diesel?

2006 Mazdaspeed 6 Whitewater Pearl Grand Touring</span> - daily driver
FACTORY OPTIONS
-black and white leather -NAV -Mazdaspeed Rays forged wheels -Sirius radio from factory -alarm shock sensor -cargo net -compass auto-dimming mirror -wheel locks -MS all weather mats
AFTERMARKET MODS
-3M clearbra - 20% tint all around - CPE engine mount

2004 Pontiac GTO A4 black/black - my toy
-Comp cam - Lingtenfelter CAI - Stainless Works Long Tubes with cats -S.W. dual 3-in catback - Taylor 10.4&#39;s and TR55&#39;s -Vig 3200 stall -Nitto 275 drags- 3M clearbra -20% tint all around 13.9 1/4 stock, 2.0 60ft stock tires -13.5 @ 103 with LPE intake 2.0 60ft stock tires [email protected] 1.767 60ft 4/4/6 Gateway International -HP dyno tune <span style="color:#FF0000">378whp 344wtq

2007 Audi Q7 3.6 Premium Phantom Black Pearl/Cardamom Beige New 5/21/7 - wife&#39;s ride
Infotainment Package -Convenience Package -3rd Row -Panorama Sunroof

2005 Infiniti G35X Brilliant silver/stone leather - sold 5/21/7
-Premium package 3 - Intelligent key - Nav Package -factory rear spoiler -factory Sirius -Rosewood package
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page