post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Advice Needed

What are the steps you guys take before winter? I want to do a deep clean and seal the paint up from salt and the like here in the Kentucky (the Middle East?).

I was going to strip the old wax, clay bar the paint, then seal with some sort of Wax or Sealer? I'm not sure what is best for Winter time.

I also want to take my wheels off the car completely and do a thorough cleaning of the rims, inside and out. Are lift points and jack-stand points spelled out in the manual? (I haven't looked yet, please don't kill me)

Thanks for the help!

Sold: 1994 Hunter Green Mustang V6 (first car)

Sold: 2004 Cherry Red Mazda6 Sport

Current: 2016 Soul Red Mazda6 Touring

Finished: Debadged rear end

Wants: Evil 'M' front and rear, LED fog lights and headlights, Lowering springs (stupid curb/driveway)

Definitely more.......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 03:05 PM
Shiro Shinobi

Mentioned: 760 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2753 Post(s)
Thanked 4,008 Times in 2,815 Posts
Groaned at 15 Times in 15 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueNylonShoes View Post
What are the steps you guys take before winter? I want to do a deep clean and seal the paint up from salt and the like here in the Kentucky (the Middle East?).

I was going to strip the old wax, clay bar the paint, then seal with some sort of Wax or Sealer? I'm not sure what is best for Winter time.

I also want to take my wheels off the car completely and do a thorough cleaning of the rims, inside and out. Are lift points and jack-stand points spelled out in the manual? (I haven't looked yet, please don't kill me)

Thanks for the help!
"Winter" in Kentucky?.......Pshh that's just Tuesday 'round here

Absolutely put a good wax on the whole car before the salt hits the roads. Anything to protect this thin paint. Anything like your standard Turtle Wax or Meguire's is fine (or my personal favorite car care company https://www.griotsgarage.com/product...of+show+wax.do )

Unfortunately, there's only so much you can do for your rims, which is why I run a dedicated set of winter beaters. If your city uses the saline solution during winter then you're just begging to have your rims start turning that terrible yellow.

As for lift points, I tend to do 1 side and then another, rather than front and back because there're virtually no lift points on the front or rear because of the plastic underbody. The best places I've found for quick lifts and jack stands are the sides, though the plastic still gets in the way even there.

Current:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Sold:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, 3rd Generation

A gov't big enough to give you anything you want is big enough to take all you have.
"Camry: For Drivers Without a Soul." - Mz6GreyGhost
For your 'will these tires fit' needs:

Need a Part Number? Find it

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 04:18 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Groans: 9
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
I think you already have a good plan in place. Wash, clay bar the car, and correct the paint if required ( fully keeping into consideration mazda has the thinnest paint job around ). Then comes the most important part for winter - protection. You can do the hard way of using a multi-layered application ( separated by a day after the original application, and allowing 24 hrs of low moisture cure time) of high quality sealant like Menzerna or Wolfgang which will usually last anywhere from 2 to 5 months depending on weather and level or exposure. Or you can do a single application with 5-8 hrs of cure time using NuFinish polish which will last atleast 10 months or more. NuFinish is very very durable, it wont have the level of depth of Menzerna or Wolfgang, but will protect and last much,much longer. If you are applying Nufinish, try to wipe off the plastics and rubbers since it leaves a hard to remove white stain. Also, unlike other sealants, Nufinish needs only 10 mins off drying time before buffing it off.

Wheels need not be removed if you have a long wheel woolie and fender brush. Clean and degrease thoroughly and once dry, apply Nufinish on them and buff off. You'll be surprised how easy it will be to wash ( or wipe ) the brake dust and other yucky stuff once you have some polish on the rims.

Goodluck and happy detailing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 04:20 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Groans: 9
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Just to add, no wax will last for more than 15-20 days, so you got to go with a synthetic product like sealant or synthetic wax. No matter what brand you apply, make sure you apply in THIN layers. More is not better when it comes to detailing, and excess product can be a pain to buff off.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for the help!

Edit
Quote:
Wheels need not be removed if you have a long wheel woolie and fender brush. Clean and degrease thoroughly and once dry, apply Nufinish on them and buff off. You'll be surprised how easy it will be to wash ( or wipe ) the brake dust and other yucky stuff once you have some polish on the rims.
Didn't think of that. Great idea.

Sold: 1994 Hunter Green Mustang V6 (first car)

Sold: 2004 Cherry Red Mazda6 Sport

Current: 2016 Soul Red Mazda6 Touring

Finished: Debadged rear end

Wants: Evil 'M' front and rear, LED fog lights and headlights, Lowering springs (stupid curb/driveway)

Definitely more.......
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 09:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Groans: 7
Garage
FWIW, I have been using Wolfgang products. Their paint sealant is very good, gives it a nice wet look finish. It's on the pricey side but it does last a good 4-5 months. I also use it on my wheels (GT) and as MiLR said, it definitely helps with dirt and brake dust. My wheels stay pretty clean of brake dust in general.

2016 Mazda6 GT Snowflake White Pearl
2018 Mazda3 Touring Titanium Flash

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page