Questions about Plastidip- - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ocean6

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-13-2015, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Questions about Plastidip-

About to Plastidip my wheels and I have a couple of questions. How long did it take? How much dip did you get on the inner barrel of the wheel if any? Do you do a coat at a time for each wheel then when you get back to wheel 1 it's time for coat 2? Did you use index cards? Did you use newspaper on the car for overspray? Did you use a ripped trash bag for the calipers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-13-2015, 02:13 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
The best way to get them perfect is to take the wheels off. I only had 1 jack at the time so I did 1 wheel at a time. Took a couple hours for all 4. Put tire shine on the tires instead of using the index cards. Do a light coat to start. I waited about 15 to 20 minutes per coat. I did 4 coats of black and 4 coats of glossifier. I didn't do the inside barrel because I was lazy and didn't care because the inside barrel of mine stayed black from brake dust hahaa. Took me 2 cans for all 4 wheels. Get 3 to be safe. And 1 can of glossifier did the trick. When you're done you can just peel the dip right off the tires when they dry because the tire shine under the dip helps it not stick
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-13-2015, 03:50 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Garage
My initial plan of attack was two wheels at a time, jack up the front / jack stands do those two and then repeat for the back. I took the front wheels off and used tire shine but if I were to do it again I'd use index cards if the wheels are off because depending on the angles you spray it always gets in the nooks and crannies and some parts of the tread and is hard to get out. As with SBopp I waited about 15 minutes with each coat. I did gold, I'm not sure if I applied my coats too lightly or if the color just needs more coats for complete coverage but I found myself adding way more coats than I thought I would have. A better guide is not coats but amount of product you use and I tried to use about 3/4 of a can for each wheel.

For the rear I changed my initial plan and ended up masking instead of taking the wheels off to experiment. The result, for me at least, is that wheels off or not off is the exact same; I can't tell the difference. Downside to wheels on the car, masking is of major importance and very time consuming! I bought some clear painters plastic tarp from walmart that painters use on the floor for painting (only like $3 I bought a couple) and masked off the obvious calipers / rotors, entire wheel well, all suspension components and like a three foot radius all on the body of the car surrounding the wheel to prevent overspray. Everything was covered and I'm amazed but some gold dots still found their way to the lower control arm and suspension components, ugh! But both methods have their pros and cons so really it's up to you as I found the results to be the same on the wheels.

Total time to do all four wheels, two off, two masked was about 5 hours. Maybe I'm slow but the majority of my time was spent masking the back wheels, waiting for coats to dry, and having to apply way more coats than I thought for complete coverage. I was able to cover about half of the barrel of the wheel just from overspray of the spokes and I think it looks great. I wouldn't spend the time or product to try and cover the whole barrel because you really can't tell. You can use a ripped trash bag for masking, but for proper masking of every component like suspension and the car (maybe I'm just anal) because Fonzi never did that then buy some clear plastic masking tarp. It comes in a Giant Sheet, so ripping it kinda sucks but it does the job and for how much I mask I bet it's cheaper than trash bags. Shermin Williams paint stores sell the exact same sheets but it's crazy expensive there so I went to walmart for half the price.
SBopp likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-13-2015, 03:59 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Also prepare for one hell of a forearm workout!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-13-2015, 04:16 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Get the plastic sheets that Lowes or Home Depot have outside their Lawn and Garden checkout posts... They work out the best and are free.

Last edited by aachoo; 09-13-2015 at 06:30 PM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 09:03 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Groans: 4
Garage
What's the best way to remove plastidip??
I don't think I did enough coats to just peel off.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015, 02:00 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Heres what i did. Note that i moved away from the oem 19s to a set of 18s. I used 2 cans of black and 2 cans of glossifier. When i did my friends 19s on CX5 i bougfht 3 cans of black and 3 cans of glossifier and had a bunch left over.

I removed the wheels.
I did NOT tape off the inner barrels or the tires.
I applied 4 coats of dip (2 light, 2 heavy) waited 10 min between light and 20 min between heavy.
I then applied 4 coats of glossifier because i didnt want matte (again 2 light and 2 really heavy) waited 15 min between light and 25 between heavy,

All in all i used 2 cans of dip and 2 cans of gloss.

I let it cure for about 5 hours (in 34-50F weather). As long as the dip cans are warm you can apply in almost any temp. You may not needs to wait as long as i did between coats or final cure if you dont apply in the cold like i did.

After the 5 hour curing i used my power washer to blast the overspray from the barrels and the tires. The dip that i didnt want to remove did not go anywhere. The light overspray came off like nothing. If you do not have a power washer, then just use googone as it will remove it with ease.

Here are some pics of matte then gloss.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1449707015867.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	168433   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1449707145591.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	10.7 KB
ID:	168441  

2018 MG CX5 GT AWD.
2015 SWP 6 GT
2002 Ti Miata SE

Last edited by Liquix; 12-14-2015 at 02:06 AM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015, 02:03 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleShrek View Post
What's the best way to remove plastidip??
I don't think I did enough coats to just peel off.

Easiest and free way is power washer at close range

If you dont have access to one then googone in a sprayer and give it a few mins, then hit it with a hose.

Expensive way is buying dip dissolver from dyc.com and it will be just like option 2 but faster and maybe less to no scrubbing.

2018 MG CX5 GT AWD.
2015 SWP 6 GT
2002 Ti Miata SE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page