Fine Scratches In Windshield? - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-10-2007, 02:21 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 2
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
I noticed that i have some fine scratches in my windshield. As of now, i cannot tell if it is exterior or interior. But they are definitely very fine and cannot be felt with the fingernail.

Are there any products that i can use on it to make them disappear??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2007 MAZDA6s 5-door (tungsten gray)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-10-2007, 03:31 AM

Groans: 0
I have noticed this as well. Almost looks like someone tried to use real course steel wool on it.

Any chance of fixing this?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
</span></span>
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-10-2007, 12:16 PM

Yes you can use polish on it and it should come out. I use Poorboys SSR 1. This will not scratch the windshield or your mirrors.

Black Cherry Mazdaspeed6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-10-2007, 10:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Yes you can use polish on it and it should come out. I use Poorboys SSR 1. This will not scratch the windshield or your mirrors.[/b]
does scratch-x work?? its driving me insannee!! HELP!!

*i just tried some turtle wax polishing compound and it didnt do anything. i havnt tried scratch-x yet since i think its an even lighter polish..

any ideasss?

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 07:24 AM

I would try it on a peace of glass at home like a bottle of beer. If it doesn&#39;t leave any scratches then your good to try it on your cars glass.

Black Cherry Mazdaspeed6
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 11:41 AM

I used Scratch-X on a scratch I put into my passenger side-window and it worked really well. But that&#39;s on a side window. I&#39;m not sure how it would look on a windshield when you were headed into the sun in the morning or evening or at night. You might want to try it in a small, really inconspicuous spot before doing anything more.

Pogo (Walt Kelly) - 1970
2004 6s Glacier Silver Metallic ATX Moonroof SAB/SAC Bose Sport w/ Spoiler and Luxury packages
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I used Scratch-X on a scratch I put into my passenger side-window and it worked really well. But that&#39;s on a side window. I&#39;m not sure how it would look on a windshield when you were headed into the sun in the morning or evening or at night. You might want to try it in a small, really inconspicuous spot before doing anything more.[/b]

The thing is.. im not sure if the scratch is on the exterior or interior of the windshield. its extremely hard to tell because you can only see the scratches if the light is hitting it at a certain angle. also i cannot feel the scratch at all (im taking this is a good thing)

Is there a difference in how i should apply it if its on the interior?? how did you use the scratch-x? did you keep rubbing it until it became dry n rubbed it off?

if worst comes to worst, i am planning to take it to get it buffed out. are there places that do this kind of job??

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 06:13 PM

Quote:
The thing is.. im not sure if the scratch is on the exterior or interior of the windshield. its extremely hard to tell because you can only see the scratches if the light is hitting it at a certain angle. also i cannot feel the scratch at all (im taking this is a good thing)

Is there a difference in how i should apply it if its on the interior?? how did you use the scratch-x? did you keep rubbing it until it became dry n rubbed it off?

if worst comes to worst, i am planning to take it to get it buffed out. are there places that do this kind of job??[/b]
First of all - it could be they aren&#39;t scratches, but flaws in the glass itself. If that&#39;s the case, they won&#39;t come out. A lot of car companies are using inexpensive glass for their vehicles. Since the flaws can only be seen under extremely limited conditions, they usually aren&#39;t a problem for the vast majority of people. (You may have just missed them or the light wasn&#39;t right for you to notice them before.)

OK, as long as you haven&#39;t tinted the interior of the windshield, you can use a polish on the interior the same way you would on the exterior. The way I did it was I applied the Scratch-X to a damp cloth, and rubbed it until it &#39;disappeared&#39;. Then I added more Scratch-X and rubbed again until it &#39;disappeared&#39;. I kept this up until the scratch was unnoticeable (it was a pretty deep scratch.)

Before you bother with a place the buffs out glass scratches, you need to make sure there really are scratches. Try using a straight pin or needle to see if you can feel the defects that way. If that still feel smooth they are probably flaws and you won&#39;t be able to get rid of them without replacing the glass with a higher quality windshield.

Good luck.

Pogo (Walt Kelly) - 1970
2004 6s Glacier Silver Metallic ATX Moonroof SAB/SAC Bose Sport w/ Spoiler and Luxury packages
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-14-2007, 12:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
First of all - it could be they aren&#39;t scratches, but flaws in the glass itself. If that&#39;s the case, they won&#39;t come out. A lot of car companies are using inexpensive glass for their vehicles. Since the flaws can only be seen under extremely limited conditions, they usually aren&#39;t a problem for the vast majority of people. (You may have just missed them or the light wasn&#39;t right for you to notice them before.)

OK, as long as you haven&#39;t tinted the interior of the windshield, you can use a polish on the interior the same way you would on the exterior. The way I did it was I applied the Scratch-X to a damp cloth, and rubbed it until it &#39;disappeared&#39;. Then I added more Scratch-X and rubbed again until it &#39;disappeared&#39;. I kept this up until the scratch was unnoticeable (it was a pretty deep scratch.)

Before you bother with a place the buffs out glass scratches, you need to make sure there really are scratches. Try using a straight pin or needle to see if you can feel the defects that way. If that still feel smooth they are probably flaws and you won&#39;t be able to get rid of them without replacing the glass with a higher quality windshield.

Good luck.[/b]
Thanks for the very detailed explanation!

I tried feeling both sides of the windshield with a needle and it is definitely the exterior. the scratch isn&#39;t deep at all. i can barely feel it with the needle so it shouldnt be too hard to remove.

were your scratches on the windshield as well? i did not know that you needed to use some water with scratch-x. i am going to use an applicator pad with some scratch-x and rub away. hopefully it will work @[email protected]

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-14-2007, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the very detailed explanation!

I tried feeling both sides of the windshield with a needle and it is definitely the exterior. the scratch isn&#39;t deep at all. i can barely feel it with the needle so it shouldnt be too hard to remove.

were your scratches on the windshield as well? i did not know that you needed to use some water with scratch-x. i am going to use an applicator pad with some scratch-x and rub away. hopefully it will work @[email protected][/b]
No, the scratch was just on the front passenger side widow. And since it&#39;s on the side window, I really never look at it and couldn&#39;t tell you if it affected vision any. Also, the side windows are pretty much vertical, while the angle of the windshield could make the area you apply the Scratch-X seem visible in certain light conditons.

That&#39;s why I suggest you try it in an inconspicuous spot and drive it for a few days in different light conditions to make sure the final &#39;fix&#39; won&#39;t be worse than the scratch.

And I&#39;ve always used a damp cloth with the Scratch-X. I haven&#39;t looked at them in years, but I believe the instructions on the Scratch-X bottle call for using a damp cloth. Not really wet, just slightly dampened. Sort of like really, really fine wet sanding.

Pogo (Walt Kelly) - 1970
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page