Fine Scratches In Windshield? - Page 2 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-14-2007, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 2
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
No, the scratch was just on the front passenger side widow. And since it's on the side window, I really never look at it and couldn't tell you if it affected vision any. Also, the side windows are pretty much vertical, while the angle of the windshield could make the area you apply the Scratch-X seem visible in certain light conditons.

That's why I suggest you try it in an inconspicuous spot and drive it for a few days in different light conditions to make sure the final 'fix' won't be worse than the scratch.

And I've always used a damp cloth with the Scratch-X. I haven't looked at them in years, but I believe the instructions on the Scratch-X bottle call for using a damp cloth. Not really wet, just slightly dampened. Sort of like really, really fine wet sanding.
[/b]
i tried using your technique on the front windshield and it didnt work at all. i am guessing its because the front windshield glass and the passenger side window glass is made from different material?? i might have to go buy a glass repair kit, but when i went to autozone and pepboys i was told that they dont carry stuff like that @[email protected]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2007 MAZDA6s 5-door (tungsten gray)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-14-2007, 02:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
I don't know enough about glass to be able to say why it didn't work, but if I had to guess...
I know the windshield is tempered safety glass. I thought the sides were also tempered, but not safety glass. They may do them differently to make the windshield harder because of the threat of rocks hitting it. If so, that would make a difference on whether you could polish a scratch out. (Of course, it should also make it tougher to scratch!)

I do know I had to use a lot of pressure to get it to work, but I would guess you used as much pressure as you could as well.

Well, good luck getting it fixed.

Pogo (Walt Kelly) - 1970
2004 6s Glacier Silver Metallic ATX Moonroof SAB/SAC Bose Sport w/ Spoiler and Luxury packages
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 05:06 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Deleted, wrong thread. However, I believe this is the right section for my post.

Last edited by Archerfish; 05-28-2019 at 05:13 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page