Value for 2015 Mazda 6 touring 6MT - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Value for 2015 Mazda 6 touring 6MT

I was thinking of selling my mazda6 so I went to the CARMAX to get it appraised, and I was shocked that the figure is $8,000! How do I lose so much value in 4 and half years? The car is in very good condition, serviced every 5,000 miles, and it's all original. I bought it at $22.4k on Dec. 2014. It has 70,000 miles in it.

So, can you give me the real value of the mazda 6? Like in private party, and trade-in?

Thanks,

M.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 05:12 PM
GWL

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Sedans don't hold much value these days, plus you have a MT, not popular.

Go to autotrader in your region and see what private sales are going for.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 06:13 PM
Mazda Guru

Mentioned: 101 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Groans: 6
Groaned at 11 Times in 10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmark027 View Post
I was thinking of selling my mazda6 so I went to the CARMAX to get it appraised, and I was shocked that the figure is $8,000! How do I lose so much value in 4 and half years? The car is in very good condition, serviced every 5,000 miles, and it's all original. I bought it at $22.4k on Dec. 2014. It has 70,000 miles in it.

So, can you give me the real value of the mazda 6? Like in private party, and trade-in?

Thanks,

M.
How do you think Carmax makes money? Buy low, sell high, you know....

I'd expect around a third of original purchase price as a trade value, and about half for a private-party sale, assuming more than half of tire depth remains on the tires currently on the car (those low-pro tires are very expensive, and if worn that's an INSTANT $500 or more whack off the value of the car), no stored codes, no collision history or evident damage and no material interior wear.
The Following User Says Thank You to tickerguy For This Useful Post:
madmark027 (08-11-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 07:35 PM
Track Racer

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Groans: 2
Garage
Trade in value is much, much lower than a private party sale value. Their offer sounds about standard actually. Why are you selling?

Manual transmissions, wagons, and heavy metal are awesome. Zoom-Zoom \m/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 Mazda 6s Wagon - 3.0L V6 | 5MT | Steel Gray Metallic |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mods: 2015 OEM 17" 6 rims | NGK Iridium IX plugs | Matte black painted OEM wheels (winters) | Red painted calipers | Light black "smoked" headlights | R1 Concepts eLine rear rotors and pads | Rear V6 emblem added
Other Mazdas owned: 2015 Mazda 5 Sport ATX (current), 2010 Mazda 6 ATX (traded), 1997 Protege MTX (sold)
The Following User Says Thank You to MazdaMetalhead For This Useful Post:
madmark027 (08-11-2019)
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Thanks for your information tickerguy!! I'm just thinking about selling it, because it's getting too small for my 6'7" frame, and I drive in the rush hour traffic constantly which is tiring for me especially with a standard shift. I would like to get a little bigger vehicle like the CX-5, and AWD too. I really love my mazda6, it has been so good for me in the past 5 years, but I need more space haha.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

And also, I can't sell the car on this forum because I have not reached the required minimum of 50 posts.. If I could sell it, I would value at 11,000 dollars.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 09:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
You may have already thought of this but just a suggestion if you are looking to buy a CX-5. These days Mazda has a lot of rebates & owner loyalty discounts etc. going on. Why don’t you check what the trade in value is. It may not be 11k but could be better than Carmax. Good luck
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 09:43 PM
Track Racer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Garage
If you want another Mazda, did you see what the Dealers are offering to get you to "trade-up", maybe at end of the month? In NY, the trade-in cost doesn't get taxed (which is high) so some additional savings can be had there as well.

2017.5 Mazda6 Touring 6sp. manual Deep Crystal Blue, Fog Lights
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 05:12 AM
Mazda Guru

Mentioned: 101 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Groans: 6
Groaned at 11 Times in 10 Posts
Yeah, that's one of the hose jobs that the car business serves up on you..... trade-in doesn't get taxed in most states in the US (that is, you get taxed on the differential between the new and old) but if you sell privately the buyer pays sales tax on the whole amount. That's a screwing since you already paid sales tax on the vehicle when YOU bought it; it's intended to coerce you to trade the car rather than sell it outright.

Of course the problem is that the dealers know this and is partly why the "trade value" tends to be artificially depressed.
The Following User Says Thank You to tickerguy For This Useful Post:
madmark027 (08-12-2019)
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 03:01 PM
Track Racer

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Groans: 2
Garage
The other comment, I think from above, is that this car is a moderately-powered 4 door... with a manual transmission. The general populace does not want that kind of combination. I contrast it with, say, a (4 door) Chevy SS with the Tremec 6 speed manual (with real go-power)... which would have a bit more enthusiast appeal.

I bought the Sport trim level with 6MT because I knew I would only get a few $ back if I ever attempted to sell it... so the de-contented base car would have less $ to fall than a mid-or top trim car. Also, this was a matter of opportunity. There were very, very few 6MT cars in the area, and I bought one which had not even been test-driven by other prospective customers, and it had been on the lot for a while - which meant the dealer was motivated to sell it.

Now, of course, you don't buy a car with the intent to sell it... or at least a car in this class - to do so... so my argument will not have resonance with many of you.

My thought also was that if the car got totalled tomorrow, I would be happier in a base-trim car than a higher trim car because of fewer $ lost.

Having said the above, the options in a Touring probably are the "sweet spot". I just did not want leatherette interior (nor leather, for that matter) - and I am happy with "simple, plain" because the drive-quality is more or less the same. Now, if I could have gotten a Turbo with 6MT... well, that is a whole other different matter hehe.

Cdn17Sport6MT
Vancouver, BC Canada

Last edited by Cdn17Sport6MT; 08-12-2019 at 11:12 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cdn17Sport6MT For This Useful Post:
madmark027 (08-12-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page