Sport or Touring? Can't go over the budget! - Page 5 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-23-2013, 03:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob13 View Post
I am pretty sure that the outer diameter of the tire is the same, so there should be no difference in RPM. The bigger the rim the thinner is the rubber sidewall. A lot of people say this results in choppier, noisier ride. The 17 inch rims will also save you money when the time comes to buy new rubber. Anything that fits on 19s is considered low profile and "exotic" so normally the prices are higher for those tires even though performance can be identical. It's kind of funny how the fashions have evolved. In the 90s, a midsize car came with 15 inch rims standard, and 16 were premium. I kind of hated the 15 inch rims because they won't clear any decently sized disc brakes. In early 2000s, the 16s became standard, and 17s were premium. Now it looks like 16-17s are standard, and 18-19s are premium.

All the car mag review I read said that the 19's make for a harsher and noisier ride than the 17's. Mazda should offer the 17" option on the Touring model but from what I read the 17's are available only on the Sport model. That was one of their gripes during the testing and review of the car. The 19s were harsh and hitting bumps jarred the car and made for more road noise when above 60MPH. The one editor stated that Mazda should have gone with a 18" rim, sort of a compromise.

I would also state that the 19" low profile tires will wear A LOT faster than the 17" taller profile tires. Depends on the tire but a 19" might need to be replaced at 30k vs 50k on the 17".

Maybe Mazda will offer the 17" for 2015 on the Touring and GT models? I had 19" rims on my Corvette and the tires were EXPENSIVE and the ride was tough. I currently have 17" on my Mazda3 and they are just right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 10:28 PM
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Deal alert for those on a budget... I can relate.

I am so bummed... I just traded my Mazda 6 which I owned since June 19th. It is an i Sport, manual transmission... Such a blast to drive but unfortunately my knee was killing me with the clutch (I've had 6 knee surgeries and I guess I can't do manual anymore).

Anyways, I took a big hit financially because the car has 800 or so miles on it. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the car.

I just wanted to give heads up to anyone on the forum looking for a deal. It's silver with black interior 2014. It was traded in at IRA Toyota in Manchester NH. I literally just got home from trading it so it won't be on the website until sometime later this week.

It's been a long day....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page