~2007 Sport Wagon Rebuild Thread~ - Page 6 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

74Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 120 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 01:13 AM Thread Starter
Track Racer

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
Some progress over the weekend, but not nearly as much as I had hoped. Some of the parts got held up due to the polar vortex. But more than anything, the HVAC/climate held me up and took longer than anticipated.

But the auto climate is in and working. @kevinspann was right, the solar sensor in the dash was just a cover/plug and not the sensor itself. While it is possible to swap the necessary parts to the existing HVAC unit, it would probably be a huge time saver if you just swap it out as a unit. You really need to remove the top half of the air intake/blower funnel but it is also the worst nightmare to reinstall too. If I did it again I wouldn't hesitate to just swap the HVAC units. Hands down, no questions asked, do not pass go, do not collect $200.

Other problems I ran into...I also realized that the climate control head unit itself has some damage to the connector/pins that connect to the center console panel. Long story short its causing some problems and I may need to replace it. Other problem I ran into...I didn't have the center console from the auto climate car as it was destroyed at the pull a part by the previous customer and the circuit board is required. So, I used the metra kit I bought, but it was assembled INCORRECTLY from Metra. The buttons for recirc, hazards, defrost and A/C were swapped from side to side so I had to disassemble it and fix that problem.

Prior to the climate install, I removed the front end to replace the drier element in the condenser. Then I found out that when the previous owner had the radiator replaced they (the repair shop) did not reinstall any of the bolts to attach the condenser to the radiator....so that means the a/c lines were the only thing holding up the condenser and it was floating/wedged between the core support and radiator. So I was figuring out what to do to get that bolted up properly.

Next issue is when I went to evacuate the A/C there is a leak somewhere in the system. It pulls about 26~28 HG of vacuum and then bleeds off within a minute or so. So I need to track that down before I recharge it. I changed the o-rings and expansion valve so its either I messed up an o-ring installing, one of the 2 rubber hoses is bad, condenser is leaking or the compressor is leaking. The condenser and compressor didn't appear to have any UV ooze on them so I'm thinking they may not be the issue (hoping).

Today, I was goofing around with the St coilovers and I'm going to return them. I don't like how the height adjustment is made on them. Instead of adjusting the shock body independently of the spring pre-load, you end up adjusting the preload of the spring. There are helper springs installed from ST that would help mitigate the pre-load issue, but its also pretty tough to adjust by hand (harder and harder as you adjust up the height) and the kit didn't come with the spanners, I guess its an extra option. Anyway I think I'll probably get Fortune Auto as I've had 1st hand experience with those--although the BC pricing is closer to the STs. I was initially drawn to the STs as they are KWs and they made a wagon specific coilover. The place I bought them from advertised it was for the wagon, but really just sent me Ford Fusion ones. Which to be fair is what ST is now suggesting (They used to sell 3 seperate versions....sedan(90612), wagon(90613) and Fusion(90321)...now its Sedan and Fusion and the wagon is lumped with the Fusion).

Anyway I'll post some photos within the next couple days.
DrFeelGood and bluedevil6 like this.

- 2007 Mazda 6s Sport Wagon Sport VE, A6, bought Nov 30th '18

- 2017 Chevrolet SS Nightfall Gray 6mt & LS3
- 1957 Chevrolet Sports Sedan
- 1992,1994 Infiniti G20 2.0L, 5mt
- 2000 Infiniti G20 2.0L, auto

Previous Mazdas: 89 & 2 x 92 626s (GD)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 120 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 12:32 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Garage
I'm loving your thread mate! These posts are making me want to refresh my suspension bits sooner than later to get that like-new feeling, and maybe a modest rear sway bar while I'm under there.

Also enjoying the factory option swaps. I've been bit by the junkyard bug of late, grabbing parts to fix things on my car like window motors, etc. The other day I plucked out a Homelink rear view mirror and plan on wiring it up this weekend. Threads like yours are idea inspiring!

Tungsten Gray 2006 Mazda 6s Grand Touring - Finally another 1st Gen 6 to play with! New-to-me Oct 2018 with 107K miles!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Performance White 2003 6i Sport - dead, after 240K miles
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kalalicious For This Useful Post:
hurddawg (02-10-2019)
post #53 of 120 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 01:03 PM
Rally Racer

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalalicious View Post
I'm loving your thread mate! These posts are making me want to refresh my suspension bits sooner than later to get that like-new feeling, and maybe a modest rear sway bar while I'm under there.

Also enjoying the factory option swaps. I've been bit by the junkyard bug of late, grabbing parts to fix things on my car like window motors, etc. The other day I plucked out a Homelink rear view mirror and plan on wiring it up this weekend. Threads like yours are idea inspiring!

I totally agree. I have have had great luck with the wreckers as well and factory option is ideal.I have added at least six items myself.

2004 6s Wagon 3.0, 5-speed ATX, Performance White (A2N)
-

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #54 of 120 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Track Racer

Garage
As promised, albeit delayed, some photos!

I got some snow...

ST Coilovers just before I sent them back

Differences between MS6 rear door sill and wagon rear door sill. I modified the part a bit so it would snap in, but as you can see in this photo the whole part is curved differently. I've seen them popped in a sedan before, so it may be a wagon issue.

The front ones fit great, its not noticeable until it is pointed out, but the side closest to the dash isn't perfect. I bet with the MS6 kick panel it would fit 100%

Dash stripped of the original harness. You can see where the inside ambient temp sensor tube is near the bottom of the dash. That connects to the HVAC.

Ambient temp sensor. It snaps into the dash and the dash trim piece already has the necessary cut outs which makes it plug and play.

Dash after the new wiring harness is installed. The larger gray connector near the bottom goes to what I believe is the optional bose audio. My car is missing that connector on the main chassis harness, so I left it unplugged.

Dash fitted back in the car. Its not as bad as it seems imo. The steering column can come out as an assembly so you don't have to worry about the air bag and removing the steering wheel. just undo 4 nuts and unplug it and out comes the column. There are 7 main bolts that hold the dash into the car. 6 of them are on the driver side. There maybe more on earlier cars as there was at least one unused hole on the passenger side on my car.

Center console installed with the auto climate...this picture is prior to me fixing the button issue on the metra bezel. For the price I wish I didn't need to fix it and I wish the fit was a bit better. The radio portion of the LCD display becomes customizable text. Whats there is default from Metra.

Condenser is now properly affixed to the radiator...next time I'm out scavenger hunting, I'll get the oem bolts and nuts. I love it when stuff is original. I can't remember if I mentioned, but a lot of bolts on the driver side of the core support were missing as well. IIRC 1 on the front side and a couple holding the headlight. Protip: If you get in a wreck or need a new radiator maybe don't go to the lowest bidder...

DrFeelGood and bluedevil6 like this.

post #55 of 120 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
Track Racer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalalicious View Post

Thanks man! I'm glad I'm inspiring someone Also keeps me going on getting this thread updated!
I love getting parts from other cars and upgrading them. I guess I should of waited for the right car, but what fun is that lol I also have a homelink mirror waiting for install. Ler me know how it goes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFeelGood View Post
I totally agree. I have have had great luck with the wreckers as well and factory option is ideal.I have added at least six items myself.
Yeah wrecking yards are dangerous for me....a lot of times I get a lot more than I plan on.

post #56 of 120 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 06:18 PM

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurddawg View Post
Yeah wrecking yards are dangerous for me....a lot of times I get a lot more than I plan on.
I also have the same problem when I go to the scrapyard
hurddawg likes this.

2007 6 Hatch 3.0 V6 ATX

Mods tinted windows, trans cooler, triple gauge dash pod, EGR tube delete, TB coolant bypass, gutted exhaust w/ MagnaFlow muffler
To Come lowering springs, sway bars, subframe brace, strut tower brace
Places to find me-
->
<- ->
<- ->
<-

post #57 of 120 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 11:29 PM

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Garage
Very cool update. I fit the speed 6 thresholds into my wagon without incident but then mine is an 04. My hunch is they aren't different between the gen 1 and gen 1.5, but then again, I didnt compare mine when I swapped them in.

Alex
2004 6s Wagon MTX - grocery hauler
---}
{---

MODS: Tinted windows, RX8s with 225/45 R18s,
, and
The Following User Says Thank You to waughoo For This Useful Post:
hurddawg (02-11-2019)
post #58 of 120 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 12:00 AM Thread Starter
Track Racer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by waughoo View Post
Very cool update. I fit the speed 6 thresholds into my wagon without incident but then mine is an 04. My hunch is they aren't different between the gen 1 and gen 1.5, but then again, I didnt compare mine when I swapped them in.
Hmm. I could not get the rears ones to work worth a damn. after cutting the end allocating tabs, I was able to clip it into the chassis sill, but it didn't fit around the surrounding trim pieces. I'll have to look at it again as I would really like these to work.

post #59 of 120 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
Track Racer

Garage
Due to more snow days, I did get some more time to work on the car a bit.

More MS6 trim upgrades! I liked these as they just snap in place. Gives the dash a bit more of a finished look imo.

Center console from MS6 looked more upscale with the extra doors on them. I didn't do the shift boot mod as a other people needed to use the car and I feared they may be confused without the gates. Luckily it snaps in. I took the opportunity to disassemble the gate bezel and cleaned out the years of dried coffee/soda what have you out of it. Looks way cleaner!

Dirty...

Gross...lol

Cleaned up and installed in the MS6 shift bezel

Installed with the MS6 cup holder setup

Pretty happy with the upgrades.

I also have the auto climate problems worked out with the head unit and its 100% Just need to fix the A/C. This weekend I hope to work on the rear suspension and brakes. Hopefully no hiccups!
DrFeelGood and DJ Raydiate like this.

post #60 of 120 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 01:57 AM

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Garage
How awesome that you got the auto climate solved. The speed center dash looks great too. I cant wait to see it in the flesh.

Alex
2004 6s Wagon MTX - grocery hauler
---}
{---

MODS: Tinted windows, RX8s with 225/45 R18s,
, and
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page