Started the weekend by visiting a wrecked '06 6 at one of the pull-a-parts. It was picked over a bit, but I got what I was looking for.
- Radiator Fan Shroud
- Front valve cover breather tube
- Auto Climate parts
- replacement hardware
- odds and ends
Being my wagon is the sport value edition, auto climate wasn't part of the package. I think the controls are much more attractive and well its cool to have. Luckily, it doesn't appear too difficult to add....Although there are a lot of threads discussing it, none seem to have gone through with it. At least with my '07 wagon, the solar sensor is in the dash already, so that is a plus. I'm assuming it is just there as a placeholder and unplugged. So anyway, I picked up the complete HVAC unit, climate head unit and the dash harness. From what I have seen so far the chassis harness itself doesn't need to be changed. Anyway I'll be tackling this soon and confirm it all.
Looks like the breather tube had broken at one point and repaired with shrink tubing. The repair was collapsing a bit and I wanted to get another one. "new" one is on top.
Routing of the MSDS/Nautilus on a '07. Instead of going underneath the subframe like 06-08 does stock, the MSDS goes up and over. It makes for a tight fit in there though. The header mounts seriously close to the jackshaft and it's bracket. I also had to remove the heat shield for the jackshaft for the header to fit. Instead of the supplied O2 extenders, I just used defoulers for now on the "after cat" O2 sensors....If it ends up setting off a CEL I'll use the supplied O2 extensions. But if the defoulers work, its a cleaner/easier set up imo.
Anyway, with some patience I managed to get the headers lined up and mounted up as in the photo. Problem came with the gasket....I needed the y-pipe to mid pipe donut gasket and no one in town had one. Its apparently special order only and the gasket that came with the headers does not work with the stock system, only nautilus' midpipe. So I used a gasket I thought might work from Autozone but it leaks...just not as bad as the last time.
I changed the front wheel bearings and it was a bit of relief that it went pretty smooth! Here is the passenger side with the hub pressed out. The grease was really dried out and the bearing cage was half gone. Turning the wheel it felt gummy and this proved it.
Bearing race pressed out and the knuckle is ready for reassembly. Notice the brake shield is missing. I tend to mangle them when doing bearings, but for the next round of upgrades they do get in the way anyway so off they came (stay tuned
) A couple wacks with a hammer and they pop off.
Here I have the new bearing pressed in already and completing the final press of the hub into the bearing. Sometimes you have to be creative to get this to work.
I also did the driver side just didn't reuse the original hub since it was rough shape. After doing the wheel bearings I also replaced the jackshaft bearing. In the pic, I pressed out the jackshaft and what we see is the bearing retainer. I didn't realize until I pressed the bearing out, the bearing retainer is suspended in a hard rubber!
Jack shaft after the bearing is pressed out of the retainer.
Jackshaft bearing removal apparatus! large screw driver and small cheapie harbor freight puller
Jackshaft bearing reassembly isn't too bad. Just need to do some measuring as per the FSM as the retainer doesn't have a stop in it (MS6 one does though). If you play your cards right you can reuse the bearing dust covers. I don't have any photos, but to reassemble, the new bearing is pressed in the retainer, the dust covers are pressed in to the retainer and then the shaft is pressed in viola! jack shaft is refurbished.
After reassembling the front end, the wheels are rotating way easier! Bearing replacement is a bit of a pain, but definitely worth the effort
So I have the subframe torqued down as per FSM specs, along with all the lower arms. The engine mounts are all torqued and ready to go. I ended up and went a little crazy and decided to pick up ST Suspension coilovers and the rear suspension bits (Moog toe control arm, moog upper control arm, oem lower control arms, and moog bushings for the trailing arm) and rear wheel bearings. Originally I wasn't planning on doing the rear suspension (at least right away), but I was looking at the rear end over the weekend and the bushings were in worse shape than the front. Cracked and crusty. With all the time & money on the front, I figured it wouldn't do it justice if I didn't take care of the back end. In addition since I have the coilovers coming, I decided to pony up on the front upper control arms. A bit spendy but I decided to give the megan ones a try. I'll report back how it goes.
Next weekend, I am planning the following
- Auto Climate
- Condenser drier element change
- A/C Evac & Recharge
- Radiator shroud change (mine is broken in a couple spots)
- MS6 Brakes
- Replace Y-pipe gasket
With all this suspension work some chassis bars are in the works.