~2007 Sport Wagon Rebuild Thread~ - Page 4 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 11:26 PM

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurddawg View Post
Didn't get around to trying to work on axle yet, but I did buy a 10 ton puller. Hopefully combined with a torch it has the umph to get that axle out!
@hurddawg , one of our resident wagonistas, @DrFeelGood just did this job. He ran into some trouble but eventually got it licked. He might have some insight on how to solve it.

Additionally, I'm really enjoying following this project. Keep the updates coming.
hurddawg likes this.

Alex
2004 6s Wagon MTX - grocery hauler
---}
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
{---

MODS: Tinted windows, RX8s with 225/45 R18s,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, and
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 01:43 AM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
So things have progressed over the weekend....good and bad.

I managed to get the motor in and control arms swapped out. The new puller worked its wonders and popped that axle out with out much work.
The gear wrench ball joint tool also worked out great. Once I learned a couple tricks on youtube though....once you have the tool tightened up, give the knuckle a few whacks with a mini-sledge and the lower ball joint break free pretty easily. Without that persuasion, it seems like the tool couldn't do it on its own.

I learned that the Mazdaspeed front sway bar will not work for a 06-08 3.0L. I didn't realize that was a known issue until after I tried installing it. The sway bar is bent differently than I stock one and you can't mount it as it hits the subframe. Bummer.

The Nautilus Performance / MSDS headers that I installed has some issues and I need to give nautilus a call. No matter how I tried to install the y-pipe, the closest I could get it to bolt up was somewhere around 0.3-0.5" off of either one of the headers, so I could not get a seal and the y-pipe rides up against the jackshaft...they also forgot to supply the required clamp for the v-band that is used in the kit along with 1 of the gaskets was missing. I had a universal clamp from another project, but the flanges on the ones from the MSDS are different thickness (thinner) so its probably not sealing properly there either. I was getting short on time since I was wrestling with the y-pipe, I made do and filled the fluids up, primed the engine oil up and got it started on the 1st try. But boy it was loud. With the leaks from the ghetto rigged y-pipe it was pretty deafening...Post script, I did install the headers while the engine was out, so maybe its an order of operations thing where I need to loosen up the headers from the engine, bolt on the y-pipe and then tighten up the headers then selves? So I might have to give that a try. Nonetheless I do need the v-band clamp from nautilus though.

Its not roadworthy yet, I need to change the driver side hub and bearing and most of the suspension/subframe bits were not torqued down all the way as I was running out of time. I have some pics and I'll try to post them up in the next day or two.

I've got some things coming up this weekend so I *probably* won't do much this weekend, so any significant updates will be in a couple weeks...but at least I see light at the end of the tunnel and car has breathed fire once again

- 2007 Mazda6 Sport Wagon VE, A6, bought Nov 30th '18

- 2017 Chevrolet SS NGM 6mt & LS3
- 1957 Chevrolet Sports Sedan
- 1992,1994 Infiniti G20 2.0L, 5mt

Previous Mazdas: 89 & 2 x 92 626s

post #33 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 11:47 AM

Garage
So exciting!! I'm looking forward to seeing your progress photos.
hurddawg likes this.

Alex
---}
{---

, and
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 12:45 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Garage
Nice work so far, keep it up and please post many more pics !
hurddawg likes this.

2016-Current: 2006 Mazda 6 GT - V6 - Hatchback w/NAV

2008-2015: 2004 Mazda 6 GS - I4

post #35 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 12:57 PM
Learners License

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Looking forward to you next update! I've enjoyed your work thread so far, keep up the good work and get that old girl out on the streets again!
hurddawg likes this.

Tungsten Gray 2006 Mazda 6s Grand Touring - Finally another 1st Gen 6 to play with! New-to-me Oct 2018 with 107K miles!

Performance White 2003 6i Sport - dead, after 240K miles
post #36 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 12:27 AM Thread Starter
Learners License

So here are some photos I did take.

AWR lower engine mount. Kinda interesting to install as the standoffs on the bracket are separate pieces unlike the oem piece. My OEM one was torn up so this one got the nod. I chose this one over the CP-e one as they advertised this unit particularly for the 3.0L auto. Not sure what the differences between the Manual version.

New control arms installed in the subframe. In the distance is the unmountable Mazdaspeed sway bar. I bought aftermarket arms from Mevotech via Rockauto

Here is a pic of how the sway bar hits the subframe when set in the position required.

Showing the differences in the sway bar bends. The Mazdaspeed one is bent in the center almost inverse of the oem one

Here is the 'serious' puller I bought off amazon. Its a 10 ton press basically with a 3 jaw puller attached. Didn't even break a sweat getting that axle out although mounting it was a bit of a bitch.

I showed that axle who's boss!

So the engine went in the way it went out...from underneath! The pallet/engine hoist/lift combo works great btw

In she goes...

So this is my solution to the blasted fragile coolant 3-ways...

I spliced in this 90 degree rubber hose with a 5/8" brass coupler. That way I do not have to worry about the 3 way breaking down again. For the other problematic 3-way I purchased a hose that Final Impact recommended. With some trimming I was able to get it to go between the water pump and the hardline on the trans without a break in it. Unfortunately I forgot to take photos of that side.

I forgot to mention that the A/C is resealed, but I haven't changed the drier yet. I learned that the front end needs to come off to do so, so I saved that for later.

Well that's all I have picture wise

post #37 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 04:27 AM

Garage
Exciting developments!

Alex
---}
{---

, and
The Following User Says Thank You to waughoo For This Useful Post:
hurddawg (01-18-2019)
post #38 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 12:42 PM
Learners License

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Pictures!

I really enjoy the idea of the engine lift with the pallet trick, quite slick.

Tungsten Gray 2006 Mazda 6s Grand Touring - Finally another 1st Gen 6 to play with! New-to-me Oct 2018 with 107K miles!

Performance White 2003 6i Sport - dead, after 240K miles
The Following User Says Thank You to Kalalicious For This Useful Post:
hurddawg (01-18-2019)
post #39 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 07:17 PM
Rally Racer

Mentioned: 108 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Garage
Great headway @hurddawg Too bad about that sway bar up front. I had some issues finding a solution as well and ended up staying milder and just manipulating the balance.
Check out the pics on my thread and see how your 07 varies from my 04. I have pics of stock, whiteline and Steeda bars.
https://forum.mazda6club.com/suspens...ml#post4857193

I still have the 26mm Steeda and am looking to find it a new home.
hurddawg likes this.

2004 6s Wagon 3.0, 5-speed ATX, Performance White (A2N)
Modifications:

.MSP slotted brakes & rotors
post #40 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 10:36 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFeelGood View Post
Great headway @hurddawg Too bad about that sway bar up front. I had some issues finding a solution as well and ended up staying milder and just manipulating the balance.
Check out the pics on my thread and see how your 07 varies from my 04. I have pics of stock, whiteline and Steeda bars.
https://forum.mazda6club.com/suspens...ml#post4857193

I still have the 26mm Steeda and am looking to find it a new home.
I need to look at the undercarriage a bit closer. With the header installed, I remember the y-pipe being pretty tight in there....thanks for the offer, when I get a chance I take a look.

After reading your thread, there's a couple things in there I'd like to add to mine too. Thanks!

*Update*

Spoke to Joey At Nautilus, he hooked me up with the clamp and I got it today. He also confirmed that I need to have the headers loose, bolt up the y-pipe and tighten up the headers. Great help and service from Nautilus BTW, I'm happy I bought from them.

So anyway. when I get a chance I'll fix that.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page