MazdaMetalhead's Wagon Build Thread - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Groans: 2
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
MazdaMetalhead's Wagon Build Thread

I figured since it's getting colder and I can have the wagon in the garage, I'd start in with the stuff I have planned. First up was painting the plastic grille pieces. I started with the main one since it's the most challenging, and to make sure I have enough paint at least for that one. I had a 1/4 can of semi gloss black left over from painting a nightstand.

The plastic was a mottled light gray color. Paint improved it a lot. I did two coats but 3 is probably ideal. I'm not a perfectionist and it came out good enough for me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181105_201944_1541556362533.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	320.9 KB
ID:	224988   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181106_203306_1541556399013.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	335.0 KB
ID:	224992  

Manual transmissions, wagons, and heavy metal are awesome. Zoom-Zoom \m/
2004 Mazda 6s Wagon - 3.0L V6 | 5MT | Steel Gray Metallic |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mods: Matte black painted OEM wheels | Painted calipers (red) | Light black "smoked" headlights | R1 Concepts eLine rear rotors and pads | Rear V6 emblem added
Other Mazdas owned: 2015 Mazda 5 Sport ATX (current), 2010 Mazda 6 ATX (traded), 1997 Protege MTX (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 12:29 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Night & Day. Looks pretty solid to me. What else do you have planned (aside from painting more grill pieces)?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

@blackerphotos on Instagram, Facebook & Twitter
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 12:56 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackerphotos View Post
Night & Day. Looks pretty solid to me. What else do you have planned (aside from painting more grill pieces)?
For cosmetic stuff, for now I'm planning on painting the calipers red, and possibly getting new rims in the spring. Mostly I have mechanical work I have to do: new rear rotors and pads, new coils and plugs, and an O2 sensor.

Mods: Matte black painted OEM wheels | Painted calipers (red) | Light black "smoked" headlights | R1 Concepts eLine rear rotors and pads | Rear V6 emblem added
Other Mazdas owned: 2015 Mazda 5 Sport ATX (current), 2010 Mazda 6 ATX (traded), 1997 Protege MTX (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 01:20 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MazdaMetalhead View Post
For cosmetic stuff, for now I'm planning on painting the calipers red, and possibly getting new rims in the spring. Mostly I have mechanical work I have to do: new rear rotors and pads, new coils and plugs, and an O2 sensor.
Sounds like you’ll be busy. I only just bought mine in September and rear rotors and pads were required to pass safety so that’s something I don’t need to worry about. I’m torn between painting my calipers red or yellow but that’s pretty far down my list behind; pre-cats, cats and O2 sensors on the mechanical side which will be tackled in the next week or two once all the parts arrive.

On the cosmetic side I’ve got a boat load; I’m picking up a free front sport bumper cover & OEM lip spoiler and a pair of side skirts that will need the full bodywork and paint treatment over the winter (they’re currently white & my wagon is black). I also have a set of rims staring at me waiting for me to start the refinishing process so they’ll be ready for spring (they’ll be painted Dupli•Color Graphite).

@blackerphotos on Instagram, Facebook & Twitter
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackerphotos View Post
Sounds like youíll be busy. I only just bought mine in September and rear rotors and pads were required to pass safety so thatís something I donít need to worry about. Iím torn between painting my calipers red or yellow but thatís pretty far down my list behind; pre-cats, cats and O2 sensors on the mechanical side which will be tackled in the next week or two once all the parts arrive.

On the cosmetic side Iíve got a boat load; Iím picking up a free front sport bumper cover & OEM lip spoiler and a pair of side skirts that will need the full bodywork and paint treatment over the winter (theyíre currently white & my wagon is black). I also have a set of rims staring at me waiting for me to start the refinishing process so theyíll be ready for spring (theyíll be painted DupliēColor Graphite).
Sounds like it's going to turn out awesome! I also have to refinish the headlights, fix two rust spots, rustproof the undercarriage best I can, and touch up some dings. Fairly easy stuff but time-consuming. I personally don't like yellow anything on cars, but any splash of color on the fairly reserved dark gray wagon will sport it up a bit.

post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 11:02 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Finally! I got my rear rotors and pads on tonight. I've never done anything as complex as brakes before (i know brakes are somewhat basic, but keep in mind a year ago and had never so much as changed my own oil) so it took several evenings. The biggest pain was getting out the one rotor retaining screw on the passenger side. Pb blaster and an impact wrench wouldn't budge it. I had to drill it out and broke 2 drill bits doing so.

Anyhow, I drove and broke them in and they feel fine to me, like they grab appropriately. No audible screeching it scraping, so that's good.

I bought R1 Concepts' "E-line" plain pads and rotors. I think they were like a $70 package on Amazon. Seeing how rear brake jobs are $330ish at a shop, I'm more than pleased.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-11-13_20_1542250887874.34.52_1.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	167.1 KB
ID:	225180   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181114_192134_1542250902493.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	277.2 KB
ID:	225182  

post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 08:27 AM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Garage
MazdaMetalhead's Wagon Build Thread

Congrats on the diy, definitely looks like it was due. I canít believe you had the retaining bolts still in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2007 6 Hatch 3.0 V6 ATX

Mods tinted windows, trans cooler, triple gauge dash pod, EGR tube delete, TB coolant bypass, gutted exhaust w/ MagnaFlow muffler
Still Want lowering springs, sway bars, subframe brace, strut tower brace
Places to find me-
->
<- ->
<-
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 11:39 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevil6 View Post
Congrats on the diy, definitely looks like it was due. I canít believe you had the retaining bolts still in there.
Yeah, they were metal on metal, even though I didn't notice any screeching or hitching. I'm kind of clueless with brakes, haha. They feel fine to me now so I should be getting that inspection sticker no problem.

post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 11:46 AM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MazdaMetalhead View Post
I should be getting that inspection sticker no problem.

That is literally the ONLY positive to living in Ohio NO SAFETY INSPECTIONS. We do have a thing called E-Check in some counties but luckily Stark county is not of one of those lol
If you ask me itís still a joke because they check for a cel, and visually check catalytic converters and thatís it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2007 6 Hatch 3.0 V6 ATX

Mods tinted windows, trans cooler, triple gauge dash pod, EGR tube delete, TB coolant bypass, gutted exhaust w/ MagnaFlow muffler
Still Want lowering springs, sway bars, subframe brace, strut tower brace
Places to find me-
->
<- ->
<-
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevil6 View Post
That is literally the ONLY positive to living in Ohio NO SAFETY INSPECTIONS. We do have a thing called E-Check in some counties but luckily Stark county is not of one of those lol
If you ask me itís still a joke because they check for a cel, and visually check catalytic converters and thatís it.
I have mixed feelings about inspections. There would be some people who will drive legitimate safety hazards. An inspection every year is too much though. I think they should be done every OTHER year and only when the vehicle is more than 5 years old or so.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page