MazdaMetalhead's Wagon Build Thread - Page 4 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 12:05 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Groans: 2
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
Changed the lowbeams tonight. Can't say I'm a fan. Anyone who says you don't have to move the coolant tank out of the way is insane, haha. So removing the three tank screws, all three of them broke off. It's ok, because I was still able to move it. I'll have to get new screws however. Even with the tank gone it was very, very difficult to work in there. The passenger side was out, so I replaced both with brighter bulbs. Only, I dropped the driver side bulb and it's way down in the assembly, the old bulb, which works, is sharing the assembly with the new bulb. Obviously not ideal. But I did get the new passenger side in just fine, only that the assembly screw-on cap dropped down into the wheel well area when I was screwing it back on. I'm all done for tonight and will deal with it tomorrow. Is it easier to just take the front wheels off? Changing headlights on this car absolutely sucks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190107_224404_1546920236221.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	573.2 KB
ID:	225982  

Manual transmissions, wagons, and heavy metal are awesome. Zoom-Zoom \m/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 Mazda 6s Wagon - 3.0L V6 | 5MT | Steel Gray Metallic |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mods: NGK Iridium IX plugs | Matte black painted OEM wheels | Painted calipers (red) | Light black "smoked" headlights | R1 Concepts eLine rear rotors and pads | Rear V6 emblem added
Other Mazdas owned: 2015 Mazda 5 Sport ATX (current), 2010 Mazda 6 ATX (traded), 1997 Protege MTX (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 01:19 AM
Learners License

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Groans: 0
I like what you've done with you car! Look forward to future updates
MazdaMetalhead likes this.

- 2007 Mazda6 Sport Wagon VE, A6, bought Nov 30th '18

- 2017 Chevrolet SS NGM 6mt & LS3
- 1957 Chevrolet Sports Sedan
- 1992,1994 Infiniti G20 2.0L, 5mt

Previous Mazdas: 89 & 2 x 92 626s

post #33 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 06:03 AM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Garage
MazdaMetalhead's Wagon Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by MazdaMetalhead View Post
Changed the lowbeams tonight. Can't say I'm a fan. Anyone who says you don't have to move the coolant tank out of the way is insane, haha. So removing the three tank screws, all three of them broke off. It's ok, because I was still able to move it. I'll have to get new screws however. Even with the tank gone it was very, very difficult to work in there. The passenger side was out, so I replaced both with brighter bulbs. Only, I dropped the driver side bulb and it's way down in the assembly, the old bulb, which works, is sharing the assembly with the new bulb. Obviously not ideal. But I did get the new passenger side in just fine, only that the assembly screw-on cap dropped down into the wheel well area when I was screwing it back on. I'm all done for tonight and will deal with it tomorrow. Is it easier to just take the front wheels off? Changing headlights on this car absolutely sucks!

When I did my bulbs I found it easiest to partially remove the wheel well liner for both sides. You donít necessarily HAVE to take the wheels off but it does make it much easier, you can take enough of the tabs out and push it over behind the wheel enough to get access to the lights without taking off the wheels if you donít want to take the time to get the wheels off.

Completely agree Mazda made it nearly impossible to change the headlight bulbs on these.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2007 6 Hatch 3.0 V6 ATX

Mods tinted windows, trans cooler, triple gauge dash pod, EGR tube delete, TB coolant bypass, gutted exhaust w/ MagnaFlow muffler
Still Want lowering springs, sway bars, subframe brace, strut tower brace
Places to find me-
->
<- ->
<-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Only took me like 2-2.5 hours over three nights to get the stupid plenum off to change the coils, plugs and gaskets, haha. But what a sense of accomplishment when it finally pops off! I have other plans tonight so I'll get to the easier parts. This job sucks &#x1f601;
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20190110_204400_1547172127709.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	587.1 KB
ID:	226010  
bluedevil6 and Kalalicious like this.

Mods: NGK Iridium IX plugs | Matte black painted OEM wheels | Painted calipers (red) | Light black "smoked" headlights | R1 Concepts eLine rear rotors and pads | Rear V6 emblem added
Other Mazdas owned: 2015 Mazda 5 Sport ATX (current), 2010 Mazda 6 ATX (traded), 1997 Protege MTX (sold)
post #35 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 12:09 AM

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Garage
I agree... this was one of my first jobs and it was a bugger! It was so nice to have all cylinders reliably firing though.

Alex
2004 6s Wagon MTX - grocery hauler
---}
{---

MODS: Tinted windows, RX8s with 225/45 R18s,
, and
post #36 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 09:26 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by waughoo View Post
I agree... this was one of my first jobs and it was a bugger! It was so nice to have all cylinders reliably firing though.
It's a gigantic pain in the ass, but I figure at 160k I'm not going to be taking off the plenum again. I've already done the PCV valve, so once I do the coils, plugs and gaskets that's it, it's not coming off again, haha.

I also cleaned the throttle body and MAF sensor while I was in there with the CRC kit. The wagon runs like a top already, although it does use a little more oil than I'd like, but I figure all this stuff will put it in top shape so I won't have to really touch the engine again for the next couple years (knock on wood).

post #37 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 09:51 AM

Garage
Not sure about you but for me the first time I had that thing off the hardest part was the EGR, but that has since been eliminated and the coolant tee because I broke it, also gone lol

Kalalicious likes this.

2007 6 Hatch 3.0 V6 ATX

Mods tinted windows, trans cooler, triple gauge dash pod, EGR tube delete, TB coolant bypass, gutted exhaust w/ MagnaFlow muffler
Places to find me-
->
<- ->
<-
post #38 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 02:26 PM

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Garage
As for the EGR, I just left it hanging in the breeze when I took off my plenum. Although I had it off here recently just because I wanted to bench clean it. The pipe to the exhaust came off reasonably smoothly with little fuss. However, I suspect I was lucky.

Alex
2004 6s Wagon MTX - grocery hauler
---}
{---

MODS: Tinted windows, RX8s with 225/45 R18s,
, and
post #39 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Finished up last night! Brand new coils and NGK iridium plugs. Haven't driven it yet but it idled just fine. And other good news--tomorrow I'm picking up a set of '15 6 rims from a kid who's selling them for $150!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_20190111-233720_1547308077281.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	14.1 KB
ID:	226034  

post #40 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 12:03 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MazdaMetalhead View Post
Finished up last night! Brand new coils and NGK iridium plugs. Haven't driven it yet but it idled just fine. And other good news--tomorrow I'm picking up a set of '15 6 rims from a kid who's selling them for $150!

Those wheels are going to look awesome, are you going to leave them that color?

2007 6 Hatch 3.0 V6 ATX

Places to find me-
->
<- ->
<-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page