MazdaMetalhead's Wagon Build Thread - Page 2 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Groans: 2
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
Tonight was headlight "restoration." I saw a few places online where people were using toothpaste and a toothbrush with acceptable results. I think wet sanding is a lot of hard work, so I just went over the headlight with toothpaste and a brush, then followed that up with rubbing compound. Since I'm going to tint the lights with light smoke vinyl, I didn't care about perfection and I also didn't spray a UV clear coat. You can definitely tell there's more clarity and also more of a neutral instead of yellowish tone. Works for me!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181121_195337_1542853872359.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	580.5 KB
ID:	225380   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181121_202458_1542853890832.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	579.3 KB
ID:	225382  

Manual transmissions, wagons, and heavy metal are awesome. Zoom-Zoom \m/
2004 Mazda 6s Wagon - 3.0L V6 | 5MT | Steel Gray Metallic |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mods: Matte black painted OEM wheels | Painted calipers (red) | Light black "smoked" headlights | R1 Concepts eLine rear rotors and pads | Rear V6 emblem added
Other Mazdas owned: 2015 Mazda 5 Sport ATX (current), 2010 Mazda 6 ATX (traded), 1997 Protege MTX (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 01:34 AM

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Garage
Looks good. I did my Mazda P5 lenses with fine car polish a rag and a makita 1/4 sheet sander. It worked pretty darn well.

Alex
2004 6s Wagon MTX - grocery hauler
---}
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
{---

MODS: Tinted windows, RX8s with 225/45 R18s,
, and
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 09:31 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by waughoo View Post
Looks good. I did my Mazda P5 lenses with fine car polish a rag and a makita 1/4 sheet sander. It worked pretty darn well.
Thanks! As the old saying goes, there's more than one way to skin a headlight! Or something...
bluedevil6 likes this.

Mods: Matte black painted OEM wheels | Painted calipers (red) | Light black "smoked" headlights | R1 Concepts eLine rear rotors and pads | Rear V6 emblem added
Other Mazdas owned: 2015 Mazda 5 Sport ATX (current), 2010 Mazda 6 ATX (traded), 1997 Protege MTX (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Last week I "smoked" my headlights so I wouldn't have to clearcoat them after restoration. I'm assuming the tint vinyl will act as the UV protectant. It went on OK although I can't say it's a fun job. There are a bunch of small bubbles but you can only see them close up and they should go away in the summer sun (which is a long, LONG way off).

This pic is from this morning before I took it get the annual safety inspection. It passed--woo hoo!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Headlights.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	224.1 KB
ID:	225486  

post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 11:25 AM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MazdaMetalhead View Post
Last week I "smoked" my headlights so I wouldn't have to clearcoat them after restoration. I'm assuming the tint vinyl will act as the UV protectant. It went on OK although I can't say it's a fun job. There are a bunch of small bubbles but you can only see them close up and they should go away in the summer sun (which is a long, LONG way off).

This pic is from this morning before I took it get the annual safety inspection. It passed--woo hoo!

Those look really good, I like that they’re darker but not completely black.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2007 6 Hatch 3.0 V6 ATX

Mods tinted windows, trans cooler, triple gauge dash pod, EGR tube delete, TB coolant bypass, gutted exhaust w/ MagnaFlow muffler
Still Want lowering springs, sway bars, subframe brace, strut tower brace
Places to find me-
->
<- ->
<-
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevil6 View Post
Those look really good, I like that they’re darker but not completely black.
Thanks, I got the lightest "black" I could because any darker might be a visibility issue and I didn't want to keep them from passing inspection (or reduce my visibility at night when driving my kids around). I like them. Makes the 6 look a little more stealthy or something.
bluedevil6 likes this.

post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 11:12 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I'm painting my rims and calipers 2 at a time, but divided by driver and passenger sides, since I have directional wheels that I wanted to rotate. I used Rust-Oleum matte black wheel spray paint and Por 15 brush-on red caliper paint. On this first rim I went without primer to see if I could get away with it. I felt like I had to use more paint than I would have with primer, so the rest will be primered. It'll be interesting to see how they compare over time.

Anyways, I think I'm liking it. The wheel finish is more of what I'd consider a satin than a matte, which is actually what I was hoping for. I haven't clear coated because I don't believe Rust-Oleum makes a matte wheel clearcoat. Plus, damage can be easily repainted in the future with just the paint.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20181205_213216_1544065782102.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	177.9 KB
ID:	225542  

post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 11:26 PM

Garage
@MazdaMetalhead that looks good the red calipers with the black wheels is a really good combination. You have me reconsidering my choice of blue brake parts lol. Could I ask how much the por 15 caliper paint cost, just looking for a comparison to the duplicolor kit at autozone

2007 6 Hatch 3.0 V6 ATX

Mods tinted windows, trans cooler, triple gauge dash pod, EGR tube delete, TB coolant bypass, gutted exhaust w/ MagnaFlow muffler
Places to find me-
->
<- ->
<-
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 11:31 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevil6 View Post
@MazdaMetalhead that looks good the red calipers with the black wheels is a really good combination. You have me reconsidering my choice of blue brake parts lol. Could I ask how much the por 15 caliper paint cost, just looking for a comparison to the duplicolor kit at autozone.
It's under $14 at Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/POR-15-42806-.../dp/B00IK21RFW

I just used a couple of my kids' paint brushes to apply it. Anything I do you know it's going to be cheap, haha

post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 08:13 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MazdaMetalhead View Post
. Anything I do you know it's going to be cheap, haha

I completely understand lol same here when I painted mine blue I just bought the $7 vht spray can caliper paint I’ve redone them twice (with the same single can) and they’re already chipping and peeling again, thanks for the link

MazdaMetalhead likes this.

2007 6 Hatch 3.0 V6 ATX

Places to find me-
->
<- ->
<-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page