idrives Build Thread - Page 10 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

 31Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #91 of 96 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
Track Racer
 
idrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: St George Utah
Posts: 670
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Thanks: 68
Thanked 61 Times in 57 Posts
Groans: 6
Groaned at 11 Times in 11 Posts
Garage
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkorpus View Post
Thank you for this wonderful build thread! I would like to know if a 19x8.5 +50 offset wheel with a 255/40/19 tire will have clearance issues on the inside, especially with the steering wheel turned all the way to one side? I am stock height right now, but I also want to make sure it would not interfere if I put on the Tanabe springs for a 1" drop. It's the same setup that @idrive built on this thread, but 5mm closer on the inside.
Howdy.
The +50 offset should not pose a problem however to be sure I will take a look and measure both sides for clearance. Only problem is that will not be for a few days as the wife has the car visiting our daughter and won't be back for a few days.
I'm thinking the rims hitting the brakes would be more of a concern that rubbing on the inside.

Today is Saturday, she'll be back Tuesday night. I'll post up Weds.

Appreciate the comments.

2018 Signature - White Pearl - Chestnut
Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
idrive is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #92 of 96 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 03:11 AM
Learners License
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by idrive View Post
Howdy.
The +50 offset should not pose a problem however to be sure I will take a look and measure both sides for clearance. Only problem is that will not be for a few days as the wife has the car visiting our daughter and won't be back for a few days.
I'm thinking the rims hitting the brakes would be more of a concern that rubbing on the inside.

Today is Saturday, she'll be back Tuesday night. I'll post up Weds.

Appreciate the comments.
Thank you for your thoughts and willingness to help!

In addition to wheels and tires, I am planning to make similar upgrades to what you did in stage 3. Would you please tell me how or why you chose the Tanabe strut tower brace over the welded one by ultra racing? Does it not matter to be one solid piece? If not, why did you go with the solid ultra racing rear anti-sway bar rather than something adjustable like the CorkSport? Finally, do you know what the stock camber specs are and how the Tanabe spring drop affected your camber? Did you have to add Camber bolts to correct for the change? If I understand correctly from reading other threads on this forum, dropping this car will result in less negative camber up front than stock and the camber bolts would be used to add back the negative camber that was lost? Is that correct?
tkorpus is offline  
post #93 of 96 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 11:08 AM Thread Starter
Track Racer
 
idrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: St George Utah
Posts: 670
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Thanks: 68
Thanked 61 Times in 57 Posts
Groans: 6
Groaned at 11 Times in 11 Posts
Garage
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkorpus View Post
Thank you for your thoughts and willingness to help!

In addition to wheels and tires, I am planning to make similar upgrades to what you did in stage 3. Would you please tell me how or why you chose the Tanabe strut tower brace over the welded one by ultra racing? Does it not matter to be one solid piece? If not, why did you go with the solid ultra racing rear anti-sway bar rather than something adjustable like the CorkSport? Finally, do you know what the stock camber specs are and how the Tanabe spring drop affected your camber? Did you have to add Camber bolts to correct for the change? If I understand correctly from reading other threads on this forum, dropping this car will result in less negative camber up front than stock and the camber bolts would be used to add back the negative camber that was lost? Is that correct?
Good questions. Part of my decision(s) were directly from having done similar modifications to my 2006 S2000 (which I have just recently sold). These options have been discussed in great detail on the S2000 forum and are the reasons for going in the directions taken
.

Regarding the tower brace, because of the dynamics of the front end, struts- springs, tires etc. one size may not always be what is best. Mounting the bar the way I have described puts the correct pressure on the brace. Remember we are not replacing anything. we are adding/increasing the support. The rear is a replacement. We're not really adding anything just making the piece stronger. I felt like trying to adjust the rear end bar would be almost impossible to keep the same dynamics.

Camber etc. This was a strange one. After finishing I took the car over to have aligned. It is/was still in spec.After double checking everything we decided to just leave it alone and keep an eye on the tires to see how they were wearing. The tires were just rotated and balanced last week and the tire wear is perfect. In fact they still look like new. This is with 9K miles on them. The car has always tracked perfectly down the road regardless of the road, flat, crowned etc.


.

2018 Signature - White Pearl - Chestnut
Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
idrive is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #94 of 96 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 02:10 PM
Learners License
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by idrive View Post
Good questions. Part of my decision(s) were directly from having done similar modifications to my 2006 S2000 (which I have just recently sold). These options have been discussed in great detail on the S2000 forum and are the reasons for going in the directions taken
.

Regarding the tower brace, because of the dynamics of the front end, struts- springs, tires etc. one size may not always be what is best. Mounting the bar the way I have described puts the correct pressure on the brace. Remember we are not replacing anything. we are adding/increasing the support. The rear is a replacement. We're not really adding anything just making the piece stronger. I felt like trying to adjust the rear end bar would be almost impossible to keep the same dynamics.

Camber etc. This was a strange one. After finishing I took the car over to have aligned. It is/was still in spec.After double checking everything we decided to just leave it alone and keep an eye on the tires to see how they were wearing. The tires were just rotated and balanced last week and the tire wear is perfect. In fact they still look like new. This is with 9K miles on them. The car has always tracked perfectly down the road regardless of the road, flat, crowned etc.


.
Thank you for your insight regarding the brace and bar. I'm not sure what you mean about difficulty with adjusting the rear end bar? There are just 2 sets of mounting holes for different stiffness settings. Do you happen to know how much stiffer the ultra racing anti-sway bar is than the stock one?

Good to know about your camber and tire wear experience. Did you happen to note the actual change in your front end camber (I presume that there must be some) even though you remained within spec? Can you tell me the camber range spec and how much your car has now (from your alignment report)? I can't help but think that by dropping the car 1", you must give up some stock negative camber, resulting in a negative performance impact, even if you remain within spec. I'm just trying to quantify this so I can decide if I want to add camber bolts. I prefer not to add them if they are unnecessary, but I will to avoid taking a performance hit.
tkorpus is offline  
post #95 of 96 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 06:05 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Illinois
Posts: 83
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Thanks: 1
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Groans: 0
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
iTrader: 0 reviews
Simple question...did you trim bump stops with your Tanabe springs?

Mike -- 2018 Signature

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
theoreticaljerk is offline  
post #96 of 96 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
Track Racer
 
idrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: St George Utah
Posts: 670
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Thanks: 68
Thanked 61 Times in 57 Posts
Groans: 6
Groaned at 11 Times in 11 Posts
Garage
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoreticaljerk View Post
Simple question...did you trim bump stops with your Tanabe springs?

No sir.

2018 Signature - White Pearl - Chestnut
Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
idrive is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to idrive For This Useful Post:
theoreticaljerk (08-09-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome