It's been a busy couple of weeks here at the house for me. Between family fun, fishing for a day, and working many projects at once, I'm making some progress on the 6. I rushed getting the seats into the car (see walkthrough
) because of where they were sitting and I hadn't planned on doing the seats (or steering wheel for that matter) anytime soon. They were in the grand scheme of things but further down the road lol. I still need to finalize the seats but they function and they are out of the way of the deep freezer and they look good.
The steering wheel can wait. It's no where near as big as the seats are and no real rush on replacing it. Same as the retrofit. I'm not in a real rush to get it done because lights are working fine and I still need to gather and order parts for the build anyway lol. The way I see it, I have 3 1/2 - 4 years to get everything or most of everything done. Some things will trump others as the projects get done. I'm currently working on things that I know I won't have to change in the future or what's taking up the most space
Getting seats on a spur of the moment and having them in the house with my cat kinda trumped all lol.
While working on seats by day, I started working on things that I could do that were less noisy at night. That's when these glorious pieces were developed. I should have done them a while ago because this is my kind of therapy. I can get lost for hours dealing with LEDs and custom lighting. They started out chrome last week. I mainly got them because of the clear lenses and the reflectors built into the housings. The ones I have on the car now have the reflectors built into the lenses and any custom work would have been lost behind them.
First order of things were to get the bad boys open. I used my wood burning kit with the hot knife tip on it to get them most of the way open. Between the hot knife and a regular snap blade, they came apart without a hassle.
Once both of them were open, it was time to get the board shape and size. I needed to see what kind of room I had to work with plus I needed a templet that I could use to lay down for the shape on the plexiglass.
After drawing many designs and testing them on a piece of floor mat that was cut to shape, I finally decided that with what little room there was, simple was best.
Using my LED spacing tool, I was able to lay out the holes of the legs of the LEDs.
With the design aspect of things squared away, it was time to get the housings ready and to get the plexiglass cut to shape. To remove the chrome from the housings, it was off to a bleach bath. As you can see in the pic, that bleach just eats the chrome off of the plastic.
After about an hour the housings were chrome free ans the plexiglass was made to shape using my homemade multi tool station. I used the scroll saw to get close to shape and then finished it up with the mini router table and disk sander. This made everything so easy compared to just using a cut off wheel like how I did them in the past lol.
Next up was drilling the holes for the LEDs. I took my paper templates and used double sided scotch tape to lay them down on top of the plexiglass. Using my dremel tool with a 1/16 bit, I hand drilled all 152 holes in the board. Once that was done, the housings were painted as well as the backs of the boards. For the front of the boards, I used black reflective tape. They covered most of the board with just leaving slivers of exposed plastic. One would have to really get close to them to see but once on the car, I don't think it will matter. With the boards prepped it was time to populate the boards with LEDs. The LEDs sit right on top of the board with as much leg as possible going through the plexi. I folded the legs over there I needed to make connections between the LEDs. Each led is folded over to the next unless it was where power and resistors needed to be.
Starting with the folded legs, I soldered those connections up to keep the LEDs in place. Turning to the power side of things, I used some 22ga solid core wire and connected all the + where they needed to be. Finally it was the resistor placement and ground side. Using the legs of the resistors I soldered in the ground. With some small drops of superglue, everything was now complete!!
These turned out much cleaner then what I had done in the past. Granted the ones bellow had many more LEDs as well as 2 different colors.