Some 1st gen love!! - Page 3 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 07:10 PM
Rally Racer

Mentioned: 167 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
Howdy Ray, looking great. I love your posts. I saw you enter the 6OTM contest and you commented on rear sag.
How about trying a set of Energy Suspension spring isolators. part# 9.6104G
They give about 5/8" for <$20.
Two bolts to install per side. You put them right on top of your upper factory isolators.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	spring isolator lift.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	350.2 KB
ID:	226706  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mozz-D
2004 6s Wagon 3.0, 5-speed ATX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 08:25 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFeelGood View Post
Howdy Ray, looking great. I love your posts. I saw you enter the 6OTM contest and you commented on rear sag.
How about trying a set of Energy Suspension spring isolators. part# 9.6104G
They give about 5/8" for <$20.
Two bolts to install per side. You put them right on top of your upper factory isolators.

Thanks Doc!! That's great info and I would have never known!

I'm not sure how much longer the stock set up is going to be on the car atm. I have to switch to coilovers some time this year in prep of the mods to come. I even have plans of upgrading the breaks (again) to speed 6 all around before next summer for better holding power. Beings that it's an 03 it has the smallest brakes of the bunch lol.

Regardless you should do a writeup on a cheap fix for the sagging springs for all to see.

Ray.
2003 6s
Brakemotive Drilled and slotted rotors, Modified eBay CAI, EGR reroute and optimized, TB coolant delete, Brake light mod, AWR Racing Lower dog bone, AWR Right engine mount, BIG 5 upgrade, Battery Relocated, Custom Busbars, Optima Red top, 2 12" Planet Audio BBD12, Rockville Audio 1400w 4chan amp, Rockville Audio 8000w sub amp, RX 8 seats, Custom LED side markers, Lower rear bumper lights, Transmission cooler, Derale Performance transmission filter kit, and lots more to come!!!
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

Garage
LED Fun!!

It's been a busy couple of weeks here at the house for me. Between family fun, fishing for a day, and working many projects at once, I'm making some progress on the 6. I rushed getting the seats into the car (see walkthrough) because of where they were sitting and I hadn't planned on doing the seats (or steering wheel for that matter) anytime soon. They were in the grand scheme of things but further down the road lol. I still need to finalize the seats but they function and they are out of the way of the deep freezer and they look good.

The steering wheel can wait. It's no where near as big as the seats are and no real rush on replacing it. Same as the retrofit. I'm not in a real rush to get it done because lights are working fine and I still need to gather and order parts for the build anyway lol. The way I see it, I have 3 1/2 - 4 years to get everything or most of everything done. Some things will trump others as the projects get done. I'm currently working on things that I know I won't have to change in the future or what's taking up the most space Getting seats on a spur of the moment and having them in the house with my cat kinda trumped all lol.

While working on seats by day, I started working on things that I could do that were less noisy at night. That's when these glorious pieces were developed. I should have done them a while ago because this is my kind of therapy. I can get lost for hours dealing with LEDs and custom lighting. They started out chrome last week. I mainly got them because of the clear lenses and the reflectors built into the housings. The ones I have on the car now have the reflectors built into the lenses and any custom work would have been lost behind them.

First order of things were to get the bad boys open. I used my wood burning kit with the hot knife tip on it to get them most of the way open. Between the hot knife and a regular snap blade, they came apart without a hassle.

Some 1st gen love!!-1553021729529.jpg

Once both of them were open, it was time to get the board shape and size. I needed to see what kind of room I had to work with plus I needed a templet that I could use to lay down for the shape on the plexiglass.

Some 1st gen love!!-1553021734966.jpg

After drawing many designs and testing them on a piece of floor mat that was cut to shape, I finally decided that with what little room there was, simple was best.

Some 1st gen love!!-1553021742186.jpg

Using my LED spacing tool, I was able to lay out the holes of the legs of the LEDs.

Some 1st gen love!!-1553021768205.jpg

With the design aspect of things squared away, it was time to get the housings ready and to get the plexiglass cut to shape. To remove the chrome from the housings, it was off to a bleach bath. As you can see in the pic, that bleach just eats the chrome off of the plastic.

Some 1st gen love!!-1553021816690.jpg

After about an hour the housings were chrome free ans the plexiglass was made to shape using my homemade multi tool station. I used the scroll saw to get close to shape and then finished it up with the mini router table and disk sander. This made everything so easy compared to just using a cut off wheel like how I did them in the past lol.

Some 1st gen love!!-1553023303302.jpg

Next up was drilling the holes for the LEDs. I took my paper templates and used double sided scotch tape to lay them down on top of the plexiglass. Using my dremel tool with a 1/16 bit, I hand drilled all 152 holes in the board. Once that was done, the housings were painted as well as the backs of the boards. For the front of the boards, I used black reflective tape. They covered most of the board with just leaving slivers of exposed plastic. One would have to really get close to them to see but once on the car, I don't think it will matter. With the boards prepped it was time to populate the boards with LEDs. The LEDs sit right on top of the board with as much leg as possible going through the plexi. I folded the legs over there I needed to make connections between the LEDs. Each led is folded over to the next unless it was where power and resistors needed to be.

Some 1st gen love!!-1553021941864.jpg

Starting with the folded legs, I soldered those connections up to keep the LEDs in place. Turning to the power side of things, I used some 22ga solid core wire and connected all the + where they needed to be. Finally it was the resistor placement and ground side. Using the legs of the resistors I soldered in the ground. With some small drops of superglue, everything was now complete!!

Some 1st gen love!!-1553021976329.jpg

These turned out much cleaner then what I had done in the past. Granted the ones bellow had many more LEDs as well as 2 different colors.

Some 1st gen love!!-1553021984715.jpg

Some 1st gen love!!-1553021994048.jpg

Ray.
2003 6s
Brakemotive Drilled and slotted rotors, Modified eBay CAI, EGR reroute and optimized, TB coolant delete, Brake light mod, AWR Racing Lower dog bone, AWR Right engine mount, BIG 5 upgrade, Battery Relocated, Custom Busbars, Optima Red top, 2 12" Planet Audio BBD12, Rockville Audio 1400w 4chan amp, Rockville Audio 8000w sub amp, RX 8 seats, Custom LED side markers, Lower rear bumper lights, Transmission cooler, Derale Performance transmission filter kit, and lots more to come!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

Garage
With everything soldered and looking good. It was time to seal the lights back up and get them to their final painting.

Some 1st gen love!!-1553022023721.jpg

Once dry, the lenses were cleaned up and they were done!!

Some 1st gen love!!-1552960294591.jpg

Here you can see that reflective tape really pop and set the lights off.

Some 1st gen love!!-1552960297344.jpg

Here are just the rest of the pics of everything running.

Some 1st gen love!!-1552960300257.jpg

Some 1st gen love!!-1552960302998.jpg

Some 1st gen love!!-1552960311534.jpg

While I had the sealer out, I fixed up these rear lights. They were delivered to me with the lenses coming off already due to the cheap sealant they had used. I had planed on doing my own arrays in these but I wasn't ready to run pwms in the car to give me dual brightness. When I go to do the tail lights I will have to run pwms in the back of the car anyway so I'll just address them then.

Some 1st gen love!!-1553022763655.jpg

I still have some electronics to make before I can put the side markers in. I need to order some project board and some housings. I'll probably look into the Rubbermaid snap tight things that have the rubber seal on the top. I can get those off of a shelf and they should withstand the heat of the voltage regulators and pwms.
bluedevil6 likes this.

Ray.
2003 6s
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 01:18 AM

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Garage
Very slick!!
DJ Raydiate likes this.

Alex
2004 6s Wagon MTX - grocery hauler
---}
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
{---

MODS: Tinted windows, RX8s with 225/45 R18s,
, and
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 07:31 PM
Track Racer

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Garage
I'm really liking the updates you have!Can't wait to see pics of them installed
DJ Raydiate likes this.

- 2007 Mazda 6s Sport Wagon Sport VE, A6, bought Nov 30th '18

- 2017 Chevrolet SS Nightfall Gray 6mt & LS3
- 1957 Chevrolet Sports Sedan
- 1992,1994 Infiniti G20 2.0L, 5mt
- 2000 Infiniti G20 2.0L, auto

Previous Mazdas: 89 & 2 x 92 626s (GD)

post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

Garage
It's been a slow progress on the 6 as far as working on it. I've been collecting parts over the last week's as well as finishing up the electronics side of the side markers. I don't have them installed as of yet due to not having a left side fender liner. It had never bothered me until I looked at where I could mount the control box on that side and had seen mud lol. None the less I grabbed one last weekend at the yard as well as some other cool mods for her. I'm going back out there this Sat to grab a few more mods.

Once I grab the last few things I want/need, I'll start actually working on her again. I think I have some cool little treats for the community coming up. The best part of these little things is the fact that they can be done for very cheap and are OEM parts from different vehicles.

So far what I have on hand is:
RX 8 steering wheel with clockspring
Ford fusion fog projectors
Washer squirters from a Monte Carlo.

Things yet to get:
OEM LED tail light bulbs from an Impala
Electro/hydrolic power steering pump from Valvo S40
Fog light switch from some Mazda lol (want to find a dash mount one for my open spot)

Things that I may need/still looking into:
Power steering lines from the Volvo S40. This is mainly due to how they run. They are both ran like how our high pressure side runs underneath the oil pan behind the crank pulley. If the high pressure side fits our rack, it's simple. If not then custom lines will have to be made.

Washer reservoir from the same Volvo. This would be needed due to how big ours is and where the Volvo pump sits factory. It sits right behind the front bumper on the passenger side and if IIRC, it's washer is mounted right above it. With an electric pump it doesn't really matter where it's mounted as long as you get lines to it but I kind of like the location that it sits factory.

Power steering rack, power steering rack, power steering rack. I hate how big the factory 6 turn radius is. I would like to try and get the rack out of the v6 6 that's currently in my local yard and try different racks. Parking lots are always jam packed here in Jacksonville and I feel like I'm almost going to back into a car behind me by the time I'm able to start swinging the car out lol. It's about the only thing that I hate about the car. I'm going to start crawling under many vehicles and trying their lock to lock out (where I can lol) to see if we can't get something a little better under ours. I'd be happy with another 5 or something smh IF I can find something that will bolt up to our car and column, I'll definitely be grabbing it and sharing here.

As you can see, I have some work ahead of me but all in all for the end goal, some of its needed and some is for cool factor. Such as this teaser pic

Some 1st gen love!!-1553983450040.jpg

Ray.
2003 6s
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 02:33 AM

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Garage
I too hate the turning radius of my 6. It makes the car feel a lot bigger than it is.

Alex
2004 6s Wagon MTX - grocery hauler
---}
{---

MODS: Tinted windows, RX8s with 225/45 R18s,
, and
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

Garage
So, some of the things on my list didn't pan out as planned. I don't think I'll need some of the things on my last list after doing some looking and testing around.

The Led modules that I was after were not in any of the impalas that I had seen. I think that information was wrong but I did find them in a 2011 mustang. However, after fighting the car to get them out, it comes to find out that we can't use them without major modifications.
Some 1st gen love!!-s-l1600-8-.jpg

To me they didn't look too bad but one would have to remove some of the metal around the tail light housings on the body, remove or try to relocate 1 of the studs that hold the corner lights on, and remove the overhang around the bulb socket mounts on all 4 of the lights. If one really wanted to give it a go it would have been doable but not worth my effort because eventually I'll be making my own LED tail lights.

The power steering lines were way off. The lines on the S40 will not work at all. They connect to the rack like how some A.C. lines attach to the compressor with 1 bolt in the center of a flange that has both the pressure and return lines. This isn't a big deal because it's not hard to have custom lines made or even to make my own. While on the subject of the pump, I held off on picking 1 up. That will be a little later this year where I can focus on the power steering mods. Eventually I will be replacing the factory 6 pump with the electrohydrolic pump. This will free up the power steering pump location for other fun things for those that want/need it. At 1st it will just be an idler pulley but I'm sure I could run a 2nd alternator or even something like an AMR500 supercharger it it's place. Even with an idler pulley, it should free up a little bit of hp from the engine not having to drive the power steering. There is a slight trade off because the alt will have to work a little harder due to the electric pump. It pulls 80 amps when it kicks on.

AMR500 supercharger
Some 1st gen love!!-htb12ncujpxxxxblxpxxq6xxfxxxh.jpg

The fog light switch is tricky. I think I'll just find one that looks close to our traction control switch from a different make and hope it lights up the same color lol. So far I've only seen turn signal stock switches on the mazdas currently in the junk yard. None the less I'll find something to use that looks factory.

I won't need the washer reservoir from the S40 because it's on the drivers side where our intake is.

The Rack. I haven't even tried anything for this yet. The Fusion has about the same "turns" from lock to lock on the steering wheel as ours. This was my 1st and only car that I tried so far so idk. It's a pain in the ass but I think I'm going to just drop this dream lol. While it would be nice to get a little extra, it's not anything drastic at this time for me to worry about it. I need to stay on task and keep things moving forward.

With that said, I was able to install the side markers and their control modules. I lost a week fighting the electronic side of things. The cheap pwms that I had on hand were not working correctly. I forgot that I had fought with them before and I never updated my notes. I had the correct schematics but I also had 3 others smh. Luckily I went to HIDplanet and saw where we had figured it out and found the correct schematic. I will be ordering different pwms for the future so I don't go through this again lol.

Some 1st gen love!!-1555273734373.jpg
Some 1st gen love!!-1555273748783.jpg
Some 1st gen love!!-1555273815920.jpg

I was also able to install the lower rear bumper lights. These were easy enough to install but I had to drill 2 holes on each side for them to even slid into place. It wasn't bad and can't be seen at all. I also had to use a self tapping screw and some washers to make everything stay in place. For my 03 the factory rear reflectors snapped into place like the front side markers. The led bumper lights have 2 plastic studs on them for screws I guess. Anyway that's how I got it to work lol. It was just 3 wires on the lights that I ran through one of the new holes in the bumper and up into the tail light hole. I just spliced right into the factory wiring. I soldered the wrong positives at first (and in the pic lol) but later corrected it.

Some 1st gen love!!-1555511086461.jpg
Some 1st gen love!!-1555511090902.jpg
Some 1st gen love!!-1555511212151.jpg
Some 1st gen love!!-20190414_163344.jpg
Some 1st gen love!!-20190414_163220.jpg
To me the car is starting to come together. I still have a lot of work to do but she's getting there. I will be starting a calender within the next week or so to help me stay on track as well as set times for each mod and/or maintenance. This way I'm not overwhelmed with parts laying around while more are still coming in for both my wife's Beetle and my 6. It's my son's birthday this weekend as well as Easter so the next couple of weekends will be busy with family. I can say that the next 2 months (May and June) are planned for the 6.

May:
Maintenance on the 6 for family trip to NC. 500 miles there and 500 miles back. Need to replace a CV axle (busted inner boot), the front suspension, front brakes (just started hearing the wear indicators) change the trans fluid and install a trans cooler. Then get it aligned. It shouldn't take me all month but maintenance will be my main focus. Oh and a final oil change before the trip lol.

June:
Days= New amp rack build and possible new box build. I will build a new enclosure eventually but just not sure when. My main concern at the time is the amp rack. I have everything for it taking up room except 1 switch, 2 actuators, and the slides. I'll drive around systemless for a little bit but it will be fine. The longer I take on it to make it rattle proof the better.

Nights= Retrofit. I have ordered new lenses, brackets, demon eyes, all from overseas so it will take some time to get here. I'm waiting for a sale from lightwerks to order the rest. I have mini h1 7.0s for the wife to go in her car but need some odds and ends so I'll order it all when the sale hits. I still need extensions, DS2 bulbs, mini h1 projectors and the G5r projectors. By June I will have all of the odds and ends needed to do both.

Ray.
2003 6s

Last edited by DJ Raydiate; 04-17-2019 at 11:47 AM.
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Hey gang!! I figured I'd keep this thread alive with some updates. As usual it's been busy but things are starting to settle down a little bit. The schedule I have for the car is being shifted around a little bit. Our family vacation isn't until the end of July now so it bought me some time for the maintenance. The 31st is the last day of school for my son so the car will not be needed as a daily driver. I can finally give her some downtime and get things done without worrying if I'm going to have it ready by Monday lol.

The transmission has been giving me some issues lately where it wants to take it's time to shift into drive. I have reverse instantly but drive not so much. It use to only do it when it was really cold outside but now that it's already warm in FL and it's doing it more and more, I'm a little worried about it. I'm going this weekend to get a trans cooler and I'm going to see how many V6s are in the yard and what years. I'll start by changing the fluid, installing the trans cooler with an inline filter. If that doesn't make the trans happy then I'll have no choice but to get a used tranny from the yard. If I go that route I'll split the trans open to see where and how hard it would be for a diyer to replace the screen inside the transmission.

With that said, I'm not going to worry about keeping to a schedule as of now. I'll work on the things that I can without having to have downtime. The amp rack will just wait until August when we get back from vacation.

I have been working on a little something and had some progress on the grand goal however. Awhile ago I picked a pair Ford Fusion fog projectors for $10. These work great with HIDs and are still being recommend by people on HIDPlanet for retrofitting and will work a hell of a lot better than the lower fogs that I currently have. The ones that came with the aftermarket bezels are kind of a joke and had started to rust 3 months after I installed them.
Some 1st gen love!!-1558365302364.jpg

The fusion fog lights on there own would have been great upgrade but I wanted more. The 1st thing I had to do is get them fully broken down. This would give me the access I needed to do all of the modifications I wanted to get done. Plus with them being on a car for x amount of years they could use the deep cleaning.
Some 1st gen love!!-1558365307913.jpg

Once I had everything apart, it was time to get the modifications done. Here you can see that the projector has a foreground limiter stamped into the front half of the projector. I wanted just a little bit more foreground so I needed to cut it about where the line is. The little tab on the bottom also needed to be removed. Once the tab was gone, I was able to drill a hole in the bottom of the cutoff shield as close to the projector lens as I could. I also needed to drill a hole out of the bottom of the projector to pass a connector through.
Some 1st gen love!!-20190520_111758.jpg

Some 1st gen love!!-1558365318143.jpg

Some 1st gen love!!-1558365320741.jpg

Next up was some cleaning and paint. I wanted to have passive demon eyes during the day and brilliant red demon eyes for at night. To accomplish both, the shields needed to be painted. The painted shields during the day will catch sunlight and certain angles and produce a slight red tint. They also help reflect the color of the LED and will help it stand out more. Once the paint was dry, it was a matter of attaching the LED in place. For this I wanted to be able to replace the LED if it ever went out. I was going to use JB weld but I just ended up using some aluminum hvac duct tape and black rtv. These are some of the few things that will stick to almost anything lol. I also used the rtv to seal the hole in the bottom of the projector while at it.
Some 1st gen love!!-1558365356267.jpg

Some 1st gen love!!-1558365358883.jpg

Finally, with the rtv cured and everything looking good, it was time to put the projector back together. I used more black rtv to seal the 2 halfs as well as for the lens. I will let them sit for the next couple of days befoe I mess with them again at this point.
Some 1st gen love!!-1558365371001.jpg

Some 1st gen love!!-1558365373827.jpg

I still need to pull the bezels off of the car and look at how I'm going to mount them. The fiberglass on the bezels are kind of weak at some points so I know I'll have to be careful. All and all, I'm happy with how they turned out. I'll start doing all of that this sometime week. And hey, thanks to @DrFeelGood , I know where to get the switch I need and how to wire it up
hurddawg likes this.

Ray.
2003 6s

Last edited by DJ Raydiate; 05-20-2019 at 01:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page