Some 1st gen love!! - Page 2 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 12:44 PM

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
Some 1st gen love!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Raydiate View Post
Wow, haven't updated in quite a while. The car still lives and I'm still around. Not much got done with the car last year. This year and the up coming years are going to get interesting.

Since my last post, I did get the injectors in and sorted out. The car ran like a champ with fresh clean rebuilt injectors, new plugs, new coils, and a good cleaning of the intake manifold both upper and lower. She did great for a few months after until about 3 weeks before Christmas. That's when some untimely stuff started to happen. The battery light started to come on and go off randomly. It had a mind of its own. I went and popped the hood to discover that my battery had started to swell up and was leaking everywhere!!! Stressed out that the battery has taking a dump at the worst time of the year, I looked into changing the battery setup. I had a spare battery laying around that I kept from my 97 eclipse. Hey a battery is a battery right lol. The post were on the wrong side compared to the stock 6 battery. Beings that it was the same brand that I just took out of the car, I kind of didn't want to put it in. I made a call to my brother that day and asked him to see if his father in law still had some Optima Red tops laying around the shop from when they changed all of the generator batteries. Luck so has it that he did and brought 1 home for me that day!!!. Still the battery would not go in without having to do some sort of modifications due to the way the posts were set up.

This wasn't a big deal because when I put the audio in the car, I made custom battery mounted busbars.
Attachment 226366
Attachment 226368

Beings that I had these and had 0ga wire ran to the trunk of the car, I decided to relocate the battery to the trunk. I took the busbars off of the battery terminals and screwed them to a piece of wood to hold them down. Found some nice places to zip tie the wood to the car so that it wasn't just flopping around in there. Definitely didn't want that to happen.
Attachment 226370

This is just a temporary solution until I make some new busbars and clean up the wiring. I have some 1/2 PVC sheet that I will be making cleaner looking wiring solutions. I'll basically be making my own SMD style fuse holders. Just need to get the copper plate at this point. No need to pay 90 bucks for something that I can make for a fraction of the price. They will look something like this
Attachment 226372

I'll do one big one with both ground and power to replace the busbars in the front and then the same for the rear near the battery.
Attachment 226374

I like things looking nicer than what I have it now. The way I look at it now is function over looks. Things will get cleaned up and mounted properly in the next coming months.

After doing all of this, the car fired right up and ran like a champ. Took it out for a test drive and all was good.... until the battery light came on. Flabbergasted that it came on and went off again, I got my volt meter back out and started running test. At the front busbars I was getting 14.6 with the car running. I went to the trunk and tested the battery. 14.5. Shaking my head at trying to figure out what was going on while having the meter still hooked up to the battery, that's when it showed it's true colors. The meter pegged out at the 20 volt setting!!! This was a sign that the alt was on its way out. It was keeping the battery charged so I was still able to drive it around if I had to. I didn't really like having to drive the car that way but beings that it was Christmas, I kinda had to. Changing the alt out was not on my list of things I wanted to do during the holidays lol.

I drove it on and off when I needed to like that until last weekend (Feb 2019). I would only drive the car when I had to go pick my son up from school. Any other time I needed to drive, I would wait until my wife got home from work so I could take her little bug to do whatever I needed to do. If I was anything other than a stay at home dad and had to drive the car daily, I would have changed it sooner but it was fine.

Now that the battery and alt are all good now, I can get some other maintenance done as well as some fun stuff. Still wanting to do the retrofit but it's not a pressing matter. I have a complete front suspension kit ready to go on the car as of now from Detroit Axle. Now I know these are not the best but it was an entire front end kit for less that 300 bucks.( I don't remember what I paid for them) I got it off of either eBay or Amazon. What this kit will allow me to do is have the front end nice and tight for a little while. As parts start to fade, I'll replace them in pairs with better brand or oem components. The drivers side CV axle is shot so that will be done at the same time. The only things I don't have yet to do the job right is trans fluid, filter and gasket set, and I'm wanting to replace the 16yo front and rear springs. The rear sags bad and will bottom out if I have passengers in the rear. With the added weight of the subs and enclosure and the amps on a suspended amp rack, these rear springs have no fighting chance. Can someone say coilover time lol.

Great update! The Detroit axle stuff is pretty good I used a complete set (odds are the same one you have) and Iíve put 13,000 trouble free miles on mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2007 6 Hatch 3.0 V6 ATX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mods tinted windows, trans cooler, triple gauge dash pod, EGR tube delete, TB coolant bypass, gutted exhaust w/ MagnaFlow muffler
To Come lowering springs, sway bars, subframe brace, strut tower brace
Places to find me-
->
<- ->
<- ->
<-

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Garage
I have some DA on my car as of now but I only got about 20k out of them. Went with them again but for the entire front now. If I can get another 20k out of them for now, I'll be happy. I will be looking to replace them with something more sturdier later on as stated. The boots for the joints just didn't hold up over time. I think it's the rubber compound that they use. Either that or they don't like FL weather lol.

Ray.

2003 Mazda 6s

Brakemotive Drilled and slotted rotors, Modified eBay CAI, EGR reroute and optimized, TB coolant delete, AWR Racing Lower dog bone, AWR Right engine mount, BIG 5 upgrade, Battery Relocated, Custom Busbars, Optima Red top, 2 12" Planet Audio BBD12, Rockville Audio 1400w 4chan amp, Rockville Audio 8000w sub amp, and lots more to come!!!

Last edited by DJ Raydiate; 02-11-2019 at 02:13 PM.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

Garage
So, today I tried to paint my engine cover. I'll have to redo it because so much was just wrong with it. The tape left a residue behind, I missed some of the lines that I was going for, and the colors are not what I'm after. I went ahead and finished it up anyway just to get an idea of what it could be. Sometime next week I'll strip it down and wet sand it again and start over. For the most part, it turned out ok but just not happy with the turn out.

Some 1st gen love!!-1550179683251.jpg

As you can see, the tape did not come clean like it had said. I'll try the green frog tape next to see how that is plus may let the black coat sit overnight before I tape it off for the red. The black will be changed to a flat or semi-gloss and I'm looking for a darker red. Either a blood or some sort of burgundy.

Some 1st gen love!!-1550181854750.jpg

This tape turned out to be a hard nope lol.

Ray.

2003 Mazda 6s

Brakemotive Drilled and slotted rotors, Modified eBay CAI, EGR reroute and optimized, TB coolant delete, AWR Racing Lower dog bone, AWR Right engine mount, BIG 5 upgrade, Battery Relocated, Custom Busbars, Optima Red top, 2 12" Planet Audio BBD12, Rockville Audio 1400w 4chan amp, Rockville Audio 8000w sub amp, and lots more to come!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 11:15 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Like what you are doing, keep it up! I also plan on doing the morimoto swap too so I'm keeping an eye on your progress!
DJ Raydiate likes this.

- 2007 Mazda6 Sport Wagon VE, A6, bought Nov 30th '18

- 2017 Chevrolet SS Nightfall Gray 6mt & LS3
- 1957 Chevrolet Sports Sedan
- 1992,1994 Infiniti G20 2.0L, 5mt
- 2000 Infiniti G20 2.0L, auto

Previous Mazdas: 89 & 2 x 92 626s

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Headlight fun!

Today I decided that it would be a good day to take the headlights off of the car. I've had hid bulbs and ballast ready to go into the fogs but just haven't had the time. My son has a 4 day weekend home from school so I didn't need to drive the car. I also wanted to take the bezels out of the lights to get them ready for paint.

Some 1st gen love!!-1550271856658.jpg

The passenger side low beam light wasn't able to be aligned correctly due to the adjuster being broken at some point. The ball holder was broken and the projector would just wobble. Last year I used some wire to hold it in place until I could get out to a yard and get a new adjuster socket. While it held it in place, I still wanted to get it fixed and didn't want to pay for a whole headlight when I just needed 1 part.

Some 1st gen love!!-1550271859449.jpg
Some 1st gen love!!-1550271863043.jpg
Some 1st gen love!!-1550271934017.jpg

With that taken care of, it was on to installing the hid bulbs and ballasts into the fog lights (No pics of this) . I sealed back up the lights after I removed both bezels. I'll run naked for a little bit lol. I needed to make new ballast plates to accommodate the new ballast on each light. I wanted to use some aluminum that I have laying around but I didn't have any cutoff wheels for the grinder and my pneumatic cutoff just recently died on me. So using a sheet pan that I got out of the kitchen, I made up new plates. This will be a temp fix because when it's all said and done, I'll have 4 ballasts on each side. I'm going to have to order up some amp extensions and find new spots on each side to hold all of the ballasts.

Some 1st gen love!!-1550271941476.jpg

Test fitting the lights back into the car was a pain dealing with 2 igniters flopping around lol. I got them in place to see how everything would sit. The new plate on the drivers side hits the CAI just slightly. I'm sure it's going to rub while driving but I'll trim a little off to make a small recess so it doesn't interfere with the CAI. The passenger side had plenty of room.

Some 1st gen love!!-1550271949832.jpg
Some 1st gen love!!-1550271953700.jpg

Not bad for a half a days work. I need to clean the bezels up a little and try to repair them. The passenger bezel has a nice little wart on it where the fog light is. At some point in it's life it was way out of adjustment and just burned the shit out of it. The drivers has just a small blemish that I can clean up with some sand paper.

Some 1st gen love!!-1550271956781.jpg
Some 1st gen love!!-1550271960726.jpg

I need to go out and get some bleach so I can dechrome the bezels, try and remove and body work the wart on the passenger side, and then paint them up. I'm hoping that when I'm ready for the actual retrofit, all wiring, painting, and whatever else that deals with the HIDs will be done and all I would have to do is swap projectors out, put new sealant in, and new lenses. Tomorrow I'll get out there and finish soldering the wiring harness up and get the car back to where it's drivable again. I'm thinking of going ahead and wire the 3rd set of ballasts in and running some H1 hids pnp style lol. It would be the final set for the headlights so idk.

Ray.

2003 Mazda 6s

post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurddawg View Post
Like what you are doing, keep it up! I also plan on doing the morimoto swap too so I'm keeping an eye on your progress!
Thanks! While I like Morimoto, I'll end up only using projectors and bulbs from them. The ballasts I have I got dirt cheap and they have been holding up very well and I've had no issues at all from them. If I can save here and there then it's just extra that I could spend elsewhere lol.

Ray.

2003 Mazda 6s

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page