Around this time, Washington state decided they were going to crack down on distracted driving. I wanted a more OEM looking install than a parrot so I decided to get a GROMM kit with bluetooth hands free dongle. As it turns out, my car would need a modification on the main radio board to allow the car radio to recognize the GROMM unit.
First job was to get the radio out and disassemble it so I could find the spot the jumper needed to go...
Here's the size of the jumper that goes across the the L716 location
And now installed - lots of slow and steady breathing was required to make sure I didn't break anything in there. Stuff was REALLY tiny to work on.
After getting that sorted, I plugged in the GROMM and reinstalled the radio for a test run. In an effort to avoid holding my phone, I got a Panavise rigid mount (custom bracket made to fit the 6) and a Pro-Clip holder for my phone. I hate wires in the cabin, so I bought a flat plug and brought it out of the gap between the radio and the dash and that's connected via a long wire to the charger in the armrest socket. Super clean!
Now that I knew it worked, it was time to install the mic overhead and find a good spot for the GROMM box. I pulled the GROMM mic wire up the A pillar and brought it out at the overhead console.
It's not super OEM at the moment, but I've found a factory gray mic that I plan to wire in at a later date. That'll show up at some point.
And here it is all put back together. I'm now legal in WA state with my Android Auto with phone in a mount and stereo bluetooth connection. Not too bad for a 2004 machine!