jcme0557 - 2016 Touring (w/manual transmission) - Page 3 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by toy4x View Post
2016 and above didn't get the tools. I had the dealer look in the 3's and the 6's on the lot when I was buying my car and not one had the tools. All of them have the impression, but no tow hook.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
My bad. The thought crossed my mind as I was typing, "geez, what if Mazda doesn't include the tow eyelet? Nah, they wouldn't be that cheap..."

Sorry for the misleading info.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2016 Mazda 6 Touring (w/6-speed manual transmission)
OE fog lights/navigation card/auto-dimming mirror/
Tanabe front strut bar/
Orange Virus 91-octane tune/Racing Beat rear muffler

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

Sunrise, southbound US-51 yesterday...on my way to Chicago. (My wife took the picture, btw.) "Red sky at morning, sailors take warning." We hit snow around Madison. The Mazda did great. Arrived safe in the Windy City just in time for rush hour.

I'm on my second edit of the Orange Virus tune. The car is running very well. I notice more mid-range torque and that annoying herky-jerky modulation of clutch and gas during low speed maneuvering is gone.
kufliclicks likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tanabe front strut bar/

post #23 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 08:35 AM Thread Starter

June, 2016...

K&N Type 69 intake and filter.

I've got to be honest and say, I've had mixed results with intake kits on cars. Some don't seem to do anything but make noise, some actually seem to hurt low end performance (and make noise,) and some seem to add a little get-up-and-go...along with the noise. I have a pile of the things in my garage. Every time I buy a new car, I tell myself I'm not going to waste money on another intake! And then, I just seem to find myself out in the garage...

I chose K&N because I've been using their products for decades and have had good results. The hardest part of the install, for me, was winding the rubber seal around the edges of the heat-shield bracket. Everything else was pretty easy and straight forward. It took about a half hour to install. Very easy.

How did it work? Well, this K&N intake kit is the first one I've used in a long time that has actually worked to my liking. It doesn't sound obnoxious under full throttle, like most intakes. I use my wife as a sound tester. If she doesn't wrinkle her nose up when I stomp on the gas, I know it can't be too bad. Performance wise...K&N claims a modest (about 4-5%) increase in output above 4500 rpm.

My seat-of-the-pants impression is that this feels about right. All in all, I've been pretty pleased with this product.

Tanabe front strut bar/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 08:43 AM Thread Starter

August 2016...

I find modern cars too quiet sometimes. Its nice to not be bombarded with wind noise and tire howl and to not have to listen to a symphony of rattles and creaking on your daily drive. However, I do miss a little of the good old fashioned mechanical soundtrack that used to accompany driving a good car. It reminded you that you were being propelled through space by metal and gas and thousands of tiny explosions, all at the command of your right foot. Now a days, everything is whines and whooshes and...holy cow, manufacturers are now having to rig up artificial engine sound generators just to keep us from falling asleep from shear boredom! The Mazda 6 is a great driving car and I felt that it needed a little exhaust note to make the experience perfect.

Racing Beat Power-Pulse Rear Muffler.

I chose the Racing Beat muffler for several reasons...

I liked the idea of a single muffler assembly - as opposed to two smaller mufflers and a Y-pipe, the price was reasonable, it had good reviews, was rumored to be "not too loud," and its Racing Beat after all. What goes better with Mazda than Racing Beat?

The muffler looks well made and sturdy. It was a snap to install and everything lined up perfectly on the first try...definitely the easiest aftermarket exhaust I've ever put on. I ended up painting the big shiny can black because I didn't care for the look of polished stainless, but that was a personal thing.

How does it sound? Its just about perfect for me...a nice mellow hum at cruise, with a nice little growl when you step into it. There is no resonance or drone whatsoever. Its a wonderful system and I'm very pleased with my purchase. Does it make my car feel faster? Probably not, but I don't really care. The Racing Beat looks great and sounds perfect. What's not to love?

Tanabe front strut bar/

post #25 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

Today...

I loaded the 5th and final version of my Orange Virus ECM tune today. I haven't driven the car yet, but I'm not expecting a huge change from version 4. The email back and forth tuning process is a little involved and there were a couple of minor issues early on with hardware/software glitches...but, the actual data logging went smoothly and the tune itself has changed my M6 for the better. Most noticiple are improved throttle response, more mid-range torque, and no significant drop in mpg. I do have to run premium fuel, but I was doing that anyway. All in all, worth the money for me.

Oh, and I exchanged my incandescent back up lights for a set of LEDs...

Tanabe front strut bar/

post #26 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 07:26 PM Thread Starter

I took 6andcounting's suggestion and relocated the Sat radio antenna from the roof to the package shelf by the high mounted stop light. It works fine and it's nice to have a clean roof again, too.

Also took advantage of the spring-like weather up here and washed some of the crusty crap off my 6.

Tanabe front strut bar/

post #27 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

Backed into in a Starbucks parking lot in Baltimore by someone claiming they couldn't see my car because it was raining. They at least left a name and number. I'm 1500 miles from home so it will be several weeks till I can get this repaired. Luckily, the damage is cosmetic...well, the rear collision sensor must be out of wack because it goes off if I drive near a berm of earth on the left side of the car. ��

Tanabe front strut bar/

post #28 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 11:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Oh man sorry that happend to you. Hey I'm from Ellicott City very close to Baltimore, I was wondering if I could check out your car, I want to see how the OV Tune at work. I recently just got a 2016 Mazda 6 i touring Manuel in white and was thinking about the OV tune but wanted to see if it was worth it. Your car looks good I would love to see it. Hope you get everything worked out with the bumper.
post #29 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 11:39 PM
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Yeah, how did the OV tuning work out.

Would you recommend because it is the last thing I want to do to mine. I have the corsport exhaust, had the Corksport sri but changed back to the stock air box and AEM filter. Seems to have given me back some low end torque.

Is the OV tune super noticeable and do you think your 0 to 60 is in the lower 7 second or upper 6 second range now.

Thanks.
post #30 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost023 View Post
Oh man sorry that happend to you. Hey I'm from Ellicott City very close to Baltimore, I was wondering if I could check out your car, I want to see how the OV Tune at work. I recently just got a 2016 Mazda 6 i touring Manuel in white and was thinking about the OV tune but wanted to see if it was worth it. Your car looks good I would love to see it. Hope you get everything worked out with the bumper.
Ghost023, I'd be happy to let you check out my car...unfortunately, I left town yesterday am and am in Nashville on my way back home.

As far as the OV Tune goes, I'm happy I got it. My car runs great and pulls strong. Gas mileage is about the same, maybe a smidge better. It feels like a solid 20 hp bump. More mid-range too. Not earth shattering, but worth it for me.

Tanabe front strut bar/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page