Kufliclicks' 2015 Liquid Silver 6 Touring - Page 4 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-14-2016, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by my95tsi View Post
That's really odd yours came with chrome covers. They looks oddly similar to the ones sold on Aliexpress. I wonder if some bought the set, put the covers on and returned it for unknown reasons?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Spec-D could have bought the kit from somewhere else and repackaged it. It wouldn't be the first time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 04:39 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Exciting news! Last week, I ordered a set of wheels and tires from a local Discount Tire. Delivery will take 4-6 weeks, so I will install those with my coilovers then. I waited a long time and did a lot of research, but I am done making decisions.

Here's what we have to look forward to:

Enkei PF07 18x8.5+35
Man, these wheels are Curious Gorgeous! I am dropping down from the stock 19s to save weight and money on tires, but going with the 8.5 width for a more aggressive stance. Gunmetal was also high on my list, since it complements the Liquid Silver so well. As a fan of fatter spokes, these caught my eye early. I put it off, since Enkei is a more expensive brand, but I ultimately decided to buy what I wanted.

Michelin Pilot Super Sport 245/45/18
So, what would be the point of buying nice wheels and skimping on tires? I was between a few brands, but I knew I wanted summer tires with good rain grip. I was between this, the Continental ExtremeContact, and the BFGoodrich Sport COMP2. I read a ton of reviews, and the dealer himself ran the Super Sport. He even went as far as to show me what they looked like on his car. Sounds like a winner to me.

I am confident with these brands, and can't wait for May. I am going to slap these on with a set of Megan Racing coilovers; I'll have a brand new car!

Until then, cheers!
jcme0557 likes this.
post #33 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 08:31 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Those look great. Can't wait to see them on your car.
kufliclicks likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2016 Mazda 6 Touring (w/6-speed manual transmission)
OE fog lights/navigation card/auto-dimming mirror/
Tanabe front strut bar/
Orange Virus 91-octane tune/Racing Beat rear muffler

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 07:58 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Looks great! How does she ride on those 245 tires and the lowered siuspension? Twin Cities have some brutal roads.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2016 Mazda 6 Touring (w/6-speed manual transmission)
OE fog lights/navigation card/auto-dimming mirror/
Tanabe front strut bar/
Orange Virus 91-octane tune/Racing Beat rear muffler

post #35 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcme0557 View Post
Looks great! How does she ride on those 245 tires and the lowered suspension? Twin Cities have some brutal roads.
The tires are a dream compared to the old Dunlops. I had about 26,000 miles on them, and they were already worn almost to the wear bars. The rain handling tanked and the road noise was terrible. I set the coilovers to a stiffness setting of 9 in the front and 11 in the back. For reference, I remember reading somewhere that OEM compared to about a 5 on these springs. This was recommended by a friend of mine, but it takes some getting used to. The bumps are harder than before, so I might soften up. I haven't been able to align the wheels yet either, but I am setting up an appointment for next week. Once the car is aligned, I will have a better idea. Otherwise, the car handles better and accelerates much quicker. Between the wheel and tire, I lost about 10lbs per corner.
The Following User Says Thank You to kufliclicks For This Useful Post:
jcme0557 (05-12-2017)
post #36 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-29-2018, 02:15 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Hey everyone! Sorry for the long hiatus, but I took some time away from the internet and then procrastinated typing up my updates. I also lost the pictures I took when my phone went, but I'll try to make up for it this summer.

Summer 2017:
I picked up a set of Megan Racing Coilovers second-hand from Jomar23M6 on this forum. If it weren't for price and opportunity, I probably would have just stuck to the Corksport Lowering Springs. To finish off the suspension upgrades, I wanted a set of summer wheels and tires. They had to be light, perform well in both dry and wet conditions, and look sexy. After much deliberation, I decided on Enkei PF07s wrapped in Michelin Pilot Super Sports. I was on the fence about picking up a rear sway bar and rear motor mount, but I pulled the trigger on these ones. I also picked up a set of camber bolts and rear camber arms in preparation for the alignment. Over one Sunday at the beginning of May, a team of legitimate mechanics and I (mostly them) put everything on the car. We ended up at a 3-4" drop. I adjusted the coilovers to be very stiff with the big drop, and loved how responsive the car had become. I ran into issues with the Minneapolis roads and harshness of the RMM under load, but everything else was perfect.

Here she is on the same day:

Winter 2017:
Since I didn't want to deal with potholes and "snowplowing", I decided to raise the car to a 2" drop. The RMM added incredible engine feedback and lightning quick shifts, but I was not willing to deal with the vibrations all winter. I removed it and swapped back in the stock RMM. I have it for sale here. I am toying with the idea of trying out Corksport's RMM v2, since it reportedly has less harshness. Also, I swapped my summer wheels back for the stock 19" rims with Dunlops. At this point in time, I had 24k miles on the Dunlops. During a rainstorm a few days later, I experienced some hydroplaning. I called Dunlop and complained about the quick wear on the tires, and they sent me to a nearby shop for a check-up. Dunlop agreed with me that their tires suck and credited 40% towards a new set of tires. Unfortunately, the stock tires are a weird size and very few winter tires exist in it. I decided on Pirelli Ice Zeroes, which cost just under $500 with labor. These tires don't have the best ride, but they carve through snow and ice like no one's business. I originally didn't believe the hype surrounding winter tires, but now I won't go a season without them. Nothing feels better than driving through an area with stranded cars and not losing grip. In the future, I might consider getting a set of cheap steelies in a more normal size to save on tires.

Spring 2018:
This season, I am going to get some cosmetic mods out of the way. I have an appointment on Monday for a resonator delete at a local body shop. Barring an outrageous estimate, I will be getting this done the same day. I already love the growl of the Racing Beat exhaust with the short ram intake. I am hoping for something a little more loud and not so ricey, but we'll see. My friend and I have a separate appointment on June 15th at a tint shop. My 6 and his white 2014 Chrysler 300 are getting tinted and black vinyl roof wraps. I have seen pictures on other silver 3rd gens, and I think it would look great. To match, I plan on blacking out or removing some emblems, as well as pick up a dark lip spoiler. Specifics haven't been decided yet. I am also having trouble deciding on if I should wait for the Corksport Turbo Kit, as they seem to have gone dark recently. I would happily shell out the money, but the OVTune is my backup plan. I'm really looking forward to this stuff, and I can't wait to post pictures!

Please feel free to hit me with questions here or DM. Thanks!
Zeffer likes this.
post #37 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-24-2018, 11:03 PM Thread Starter

Garage
On the morning of April 30th, I dropped my car off at a body shop for a resonator delete estimate. They told me they would get it on the lift by lunch, which should have been a red flag that I was about to be bent over a table. I was skeptical, but in a hurry and on my way to work. A few hours later they called me with a $300 estimate. The number was shocking, and I was expecting something about half that price. I was already having a tough day at work and didn't want to pick up my car without the mod. I pulled the trigger, and they cut out the resonator and replaced it with straight pipe.

I've had the resonator delete for a few weeks, and I absolutely love the sound. No regrets. You can hear the engine clearly, but it's only loud with the pedal to the floor. There is almost no droning, which was my big fear with this mod. I also noticed the whistle from my cold air intake is louder, but this could be my imagination. I do have to say that the cold start is obnoxious to passers-by, since I park in an indoor structure at home. Outdoors it is still loud but tolerable. I lost the video I took, so I will take another soon.

Here's a picture of the resonator with a key fob for size comparison. This thing is huge! No wonder the car is so quiet.

Lastly, I updated the OP. I will continue to update with my mods and future plans.
post #38 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 01:22 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kufliclicks View Post
On the morning of April 30th, I dropped my car off at a body shop for a resonator delete estimate. They told me they would get it on the lift by lunch, which should have been a red flag that I was about to be bent over a table. I was skeptical, but in a hurry and on my way to work. A few hours later they called me with a $300 estimate. The number was shocking, and I was expecting something about half that price. I was already having a tough day at work and didn't want to pick up my car without the mod. I pulled the trigger, and they cut out the resonator and replaced it with straight pipe.

I've had the resonator delete for a few weeks, and I absolutely love the sound. No regrets. You can hear the engine clearly, but it's only loud with the pedal to the floor. There is almost no droning, which was my big fear with this mod. I also noticed the whistle from my cold air intake is louder, but this could be my imagination. I do have to say that the cold start is obnoxious to passers-by, since I park in an indoor structure at home. Outdoors it is still loud but tolerable. I lost the video I took, so I will take another soon.

Here's a picture of the resonator with a key fob for size comparison. This thing is huge! No wonder the car is so quiet.

Lastly, I updated the OP. I will continue to update with my mods and future plans.
Please post a video/audio of the cold start. Any difference in Butt performance?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

*2014 M6GT, Maxie G, stock as she can be.
*2009 Mazda 3 Sport - Sold
*1993 Mazda Protégé, Sell Pending*
post #39 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-02-2018, 02:11 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I cut together a rough video of my exhaust note with cold start, warm start, revs, and a quick 0-60.

VIDEO HERE

I wouldn't say there was a change in performance, even on the butt dyno. The car definitely sounds faster than it is though, haha.
93blkongreenpro likes this.
post #40 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-05-2018, 04:17 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Back on June 15th, I brought my car into a professional tint shop for a black vinyl roof wrap and some tint. I want to put up pictures, but there hasn't been a good day to wash my car and it is very dirty. I jumped on ebay and bought a bunch of supplies to start washing myself. Since then however, the weather has been very rainy and muggy. I have a teaser picture from my apartment's gross garage, with better ones coming in the future. I went with 35% tint on the front windows and 20% in the back. The tint came out way darker than the samples provided to us showed, but it still looks good. In hindsight, I would do 35% all around.

I also just yesterday purchased an OVTune! Very, very exciting stuff. I combed the forums here several times, and big, big thanks to solar365 (yes, I read that post SEVERAL times). I decided the Corksport turbo kit wasn't worth waiting on, since they have mostly gone dark about it. They even deleted the original blog post detailing the kit! If I decide I want to go faster in a Mazda, I'll just buy an RX8

Here are the tune objectives I asked for:
- 93 octane summer tune
- Higher rev limit
- Bouncing rev limiter
- Increase low end torque at 50% throttle or more
- Maximize high end power
- Set EGR valve to closed almost all the time. Only have it function enough to keep the valve working properly
- Eliminate touchy throttle pedal at light throttle application as a result of using higher Octane

I will have to do some more research, since I wanted to look into a 91 octane economy tune for winter. How would you even tune for snow and ice? I have so many questions.

Last edited by kufliclicks; 07-05-2018 at 04:24 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page