Painted the plastic MS6 exhaust shroud - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
I finished up the last of my paint touch up projects before winter sets in. If I ever get a chance to redo my work, I'll probably spend more time sanding the plastic down but it's "passable for now". A slight improvement from the OEM black finish.

It's hard to tell but it's BCM OEM body color.

Results are hard to notice. It still looks like trim plastic to me. I broke a few clips while removing the plastic shroud and had to resort to adhesive weather strip glue to compensate where the clips are missing.

Here some photos of the ordeal. If you try this yourself, check the pics of the backside of the plastic shroud and you will see what the clips look like and how many line the edges.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	back_bumper_split.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	69731   Click image for larger version

Name:	back_bumper_clip.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	69732   Click image for larger version

Name:	back_bumper_screws.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	69733   Click image for larger version

Name:	back_bumper_ws.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	69734   Click image for larger version

Name:	back_bumper_cu2.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	69735  

'06 Black Cherry Mica MS6 GT w/sunroof
Engine/drivetrain: Cobb AP (Stg.1 91 v1.02) AEM SRI w/ air straightner,
Speedie6's T.I.P, Forge BPV, Denso ITV22 spark plugs, SU Silicon Boost Tubes, silicon recirc. and vac. tubes
Saikou Michi OCC w/ 2 PCVs, CP-E Motor Mount, SU Stiff Diff bracket
Exterior: Badgeless AE style grill, 18x7.5 Kazera KZ-T Silver Rims, 215/45/18 Hankook V12 Evo
Bilstein shocks, AutoEXE Lowdown springs, SPC ball joints, Magnaflow catback, Redline Tuning hood shocks,
Interior: Lotek gauge pod w/ ProSport boost, water, volts gauges,
TWM stage 2 short shifter w/bushings, Redline short shift boot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

Here's a wide shot:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	back_bumper_painted2.JPG
Views:	1105
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	69738  

'06 Black Cherry Mica MS6 GT w/sunroof
Speedie6's T.I.P, Forge BPV, Denso ITV22 spark plugs, SU Silicon Boost Tubes, silicon recirc. and vac. tubes
Exterior: Badgeless AE style grill, 18x7.5 Kazera KZ-T Silver Rims, 215/45/18 Hankook V12 Evo
Bilstein shocks, AutoEXE Lowdown springs, SPC ball joints, Magnaflow catback, Redline Tuning hood shocks,
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 06:26 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
QUOTE (late8 @ Nov 18 2008, 05:32 PM)
Quote:
I finished up the last of my paint touch up projects before winter sets in. If I ever get a chance to redo my work, I'll probably spend more time sanding the plastic down but it's "passable for now". A slight improvement from the OEM black finish.

It's hard to tell but it's BCM OEM body color.

Results are hard to notice. It still looks like trim plastic to me. I broke a few clips while removing the plastic shroud and had to resort to adhesive weather strip glue to compensate where the clips are missing.

Here some photos of the ordeal. If you try this yourself, check the pics of the backside of the plastic shroud and you will see what the clips look like and how many line the edges.[/b]
It is hard to tell from the pictures that it is BCM. Looks good, though!

I fully agree on the clips....PITA for sure. I lost about 3 overall and used plastic epoxy to put them back on which worked great.

* Forge BPV * Cobb SF SRI w/ black SU intake tube * Cobb TIP * Side vent mounted 60mm Prosport Premium Boost Gauge
* StreetUnit Test Pipe * CX-7 antenna * Clear side markers w/super white led&#39;s * R1 Concepts Slotted Rotors/Rotora Ceramic Pads * SU Rear Engine Mount * Magnaflow CBE * TWM Stage 2 SS w/bushings</span></span></span>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

QUOTE (BlackCherryChick06 @ Nov 18 2008, 03:26 PM)
Quote:
It is hard to tell from the pictures that it is BCM. Looks good, though!

I fully agree on the clips....PITA for sure. I lost about 3 overall and used plastic epoxy to put them back on which worked great.[/b]
Thanks..It&#39;s really tough to tell what color it is until you&#39;re inches away from the car. I was hoping to see more of the mica in the paint.

According to the paint instructions, I have to wait 48 hours before I can "polish" the finish.

BTW- Yours turned out great! I wish I had more body color. 12 oz. covered three solid coats. How many coasts did you paint?

&#39;06 Black Cherry Mica MS6 GT w/sunroof
Speedie6&#39;s T.I.P, Forge BPV, Denso ITV22 spark plugs, SU Silicon Boost Tubes, silicon recirc. and vac. tubes
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 07:32 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Groans: 7
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
on the wide shot it looks like you sanded the exhaust port so that it&#39;s open at the bottom. Did you ever think to sand it to the point where it&#39;s level with the rest of the bumper? I would like to see what that looks like.

06 MS6 VRM
AP Stage 2 (Self Tuned 18 psi), PG SRI, PG TIP, TurboXS RP, ETS TMIC, Forge BPV, SU RMM, TWM Stage 1, JB SSP, Bnoon Bolt, Denso 1 step colder, Prosport Boost gauge in a Block8head Pod

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 08:02 PM Thread Starter

QUOTE (Speedtown @ Nov 18 2008, 04:32 PM)
Quote:
on the wide shot it looks like you sanded the exhaust port so that it&#39;s open at the bottom. Did you ever think to sand it to the point where it&#39;s level with the rest of the bumper? I would like to see what that looks like.[/b]
I had major frustrations with my MagnaFlow tips. I had them orginially centered within the plastic exhaust outlet but due to alignment issue with the whole exhaust piping the tips slightly melted the outter edge of the plastic exhaust port.

I bought skinner MagnaFlow tips and had them welded in but they looked like $hit in the oval outlet. You can see the slightly melted edge in the close up pic of the skinny tip. (In center of yellow rectangle).

I went back to the original tips the exhaust came with but this time I hacked the bottom of the plastic outlet out of frustration and angled the wider tips down to clear the plastic shroud.

I wanted the tips to slightly stick out but not exposed completely so I left it as is. If there was an decent aftermarket bumper for this car, I would be all of it.

I just didn&#39;t like the oval trim pieces that the car came with.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	medrt1.JPG
Views:	246
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	69748   Click image for larger version

Name:	hackjob.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	69749  

Speedie6&#39;s T.I.P, Forge BPV, Denso ITV22 spark plugs, SU Silicon Boost Tubes, silicon recirc. and vac. tubes
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 09:39 AM

QUOTE (late8 @ Nov 18 2008, 06:42 PM)
Quote:
Thanks..It&#39;s really tough to tell what color it is until you&#39;re inches away from the car. I was hoping to see more of the mica in the paint.

According to the paint instructions, I have to wait 48 hours before I can "polish" the finish.

BTW- Yours turned out great! I wish I had more body color. 12 oz. covered three solid coats. How many coasts did you paint?[/b]
I used about 3 coats of color and 3-4 coats of clear.

From the pictures, it doesn&#39;t look like there is much clear coat on your bumper pieces. I think the only way you are going to get it to "pop" like the rest of the car is to re-do it. Sand it down completely smooth, color, then clear coat. The trick with the clear coat is to lay on 3-4 pretty thick coats. You want enough layers so that when you wetsand you don&#39;t go through the clear and into the color. Once done wetsanding get some 3M rubbing compund and buff it out.

Then again, this plastic material on our bumpers seems to be a "soft" material, meaning, I noticed when painting that the paint likes to "soak into" the material. This may be one of those pieces that need to be done professionally and not with a rattle can if you want it to match the rest of the car.

This interior was pretty much bare black plastic. All the dark gunmetal pieces you see were sanded, painted, wetsanded and buffed. It&#39;s very time consuming but worth it in the end.

* Forge BPV * Cobb SF SRI w/ black SU intake tube * Cobb TIP * Side vent mounted 60mm Prosport Premium Boost Gauge
* StreetUnit Test Pipe * CX-7 antenna * Clear side markers w/super white led&#39;s * R1 Concepts Slotted Rotors/Rotora Ceramic Pads * SU Rear Engine Mount * Magnaflow CBE * TWM Stage 2 SS w/bushings</span></span></span>
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

QUOTE (BlackCherryChick06 @ Nov 19 2008, 06:39 AM)
Quote:
I used about 3 coats of color and 3-4 coats of clear.

From the pictures, it doesn&#39;t look like there is much clear coat on your bumper pieces. I think the only way you are going to get it to "pop" like the rest of the car is to re-do it. Sand it down completely smooth, color, then clear coat. The trick with the clear coat is to lay on 3-4 pretty thick coats. You want enough layers so that when you wetsand you don&#39;t go through the clear and into the color. Once done wetsanding get some 3M rubbing compund and buff it out.

Then again, this plastic material on our bumpers seems to be a "soft" material, meaning, I noticed when painting that the paint likes to "soak into" the material. This may be one of those pieces that need to be done professionally and not with a rattle can if you want it to match the rest of the car.

This interior was pretty much bare black plastic. All the dark gunmetal pieces you see were sanded, painted, wetsanded and buffed. It&#39;s very time consuming but worth it in the end.
[/b]
Thanks so much for the insight . I&#39;ll follow your advice and start all over. Wow..what car is that? I looks so beautiful inside.

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 03:01 PM

Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
looks like an eclipse

2007 MS6 GT- Sold
2011 Gen Coupe 3.8 RSpec
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 03:21 PM

pretty sure its a dodge stratus... almost the sam thing as a eclipse though.

QUOTE (Keebler @ Nov 19 2008, 12:01 PM)
Quote:
looks like an eclipse[/b]

2007 MS6 GT & 2007 6 GT WAGON
"mazda won me over with their 6 so much I bought 2 of em"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page