Mazda 6 Forums banner

CA Emmisions Thread

19K views 26 replies 14 participants last post by  Toadster 
#1 ·
Hey guys! Just had my first Smog Check done sine moving out here and failed the Visual Inspection. I have an Injen CAI so I did a closed loop on one of my sensors so I wouldn't trip the CEL.

Other than putting in the stock airbox, anyone run into this problem and passed Smog Check? My old Airbox is somewhere in Connecticut so I'd basically have to find someone selling one (which they are on the buy/sell forums).

Thanks!!!!

#2 ·
Hey guys! Just had my first Smog Check done sine moving out here and failed the Visual Inspection. I have an Injen CAI so I did a closed loop on one of my sensors so I wouldn't trip the CEL.

Other than putting in the stock airbox, anyone run into this problem and passed Smog Check? My old Airbox is somewhere in Connecticut so I'd basically have to find someone selling one (which they are on the buy/sell forums).
Thanks!!!![/b]

Visual check? Show him a CARB EO number. I think they have it exempt, or pending. I'll see if I can find anything.

#3 ·
Hey franchize, you have a CP-E CAI right? Are these CARB legal in CA? Did you pass your smog check? I heard that only the Injen is CARB legal, but I'm inching toward getting a CP-E one.

Also, does anyone know how often the test comes up? Is it once every 3 years?

#4 ·
Hey franchize, you have a CP-E CAI right? Are these CARB legal in CA? Did you pass your smog check? I heard that only the Injen is CARB legal, but I'm inching toward getting a CP-E one.

Also, does anyone know how often the test comes up? Is it once every 3 years?[/b]

I'm not due for smog, until next year.

CP-E doesn't have an EO for their intakes. You will be seeing more threads about this in the coming year. I think pressure from it's customers will force the aftermarket companies to get an EO from CARB. It's not terribly difficult, and once you get 1 product line in, it makes it easier for the next. Although CARB does take a long time to process EO's, and the process will be changing shortly (more difficult).

As far as I know only the AEM line of intakes (which includes the MazdaSpeed CAI), have EO's for their Speed6 products.

EDIT: This is for 06-07 MazdaSpeed6 and Speed3

AEM EO : 21-641

http://arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/devices/eo/D-392-28.pdf

MazdaSpeed EO: D-607

http://arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/devices/eo/D-607.pdf

MazdaSpeed (MazdaSpeed3) EO: D-607-1

http://arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/devices/eo/D-607-1.pdf

#5 ·
I'm not due for smog, until next year.

CP-E doesn't have an EO for their intakes. You will be seeing more threads about this in the coming year. I think pressure from it's customers will force the aftermarket companies to get an EO from CARB. It's not terribly difficult, and once you get 1 product line in, it makes it easier for the next. Although CARB does take a long time to process EO's, and the process will be changing shortly (more difficult).

As far as I know only the AEM line of intakes (which includes the MazdaSpeed CAI), have EO's for their Speed6 products.

EDIT:

MazdaSpeed EO: GRMS-8M-H32

MazdaSpeed (MazdaSpeed3) EO: GRMS-8M-L29

http://arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/devices/eo/D-607-1.pdf[/b]
is it me or do i not see mazda 6 under the AEM EO?

#6 ·
is it me or do i not see mazda 6 under the AEM EO?[/b]
The Mazda 6 is probably under a different order/batch, if they have one. I'll see if I can find anything.

EDIT: You might get away with using the MazdaSpeed EO for the AEM intake for the Mazda 6, since they are exactly the same.

Injen Technology Co.

EO: D-476-4

RD6066 2003-2004 MAZDA PROTÉGÉ 2.0L TURBO
RD6068 2003-2004 MAZDA 6 (4 cyl)
RD6070 2003-2004 MAZDA 6 (V6)
RD6071 2003-2004 MAZDA 6 V6
http://arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/devices/eo/D-476-4.pdf

MAZDASPEED Performance Accessories

EO: D-607

GRMS-8M-D30 2006 Mazda MX-5 2.0 liter
GRMS-8M-H30 2005-2006 Mazda 6 2.3 liter manual transmission only, excludes LEV II SULEVs
GRMS-8M-H31 2003-2006 Mazda 6 3.0 liter
GRMS-8M-H32 2006 Mazda Mazdaspeed 6 2.3 liter turbocharged
GRMS-8M-K30 2004-2005 Mazda RX-8 1.3 liter
GRMS-8M-L30 2004-2005 Mazda 3 2.3 liter

EO: D-607-2

GRMS-8M-D30 2006-2007 2.0 liter Mazda MX-5
GRMS-8M-H30 2005-2007 2.3 liter Mazda 6, manual transmission only. Excludes all LEV II SULEV Mazda 6's (test groups 5TKXV02.3NG1, 6TKXV02.3NG2, 7TKXV02.3NH1)
GRMS-8M-H31 2003-2007 3.0 liter Mazda 6

http://arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/devices/eo/D-607-2.pdf

EO: D-607-3

GRMS-8M-K30 2004-2007 1.3 liter Mazda RX-8

http://arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/devices/eo/D-607-3.pdf

Advanced Engine Management

EO: D-392-28

21-487 2004 2.3L I4 Mazda 3, manual transmission only
21-488 2004 2.3L I4 Mazda 3, manual and automatic transmission
21-641 2006 2.3L turbocharged Mazdaspeed 6, manual transmission
22-482 1999-2004 1.8L Mazda Miata
22-489 2004 1.8L I4 naturally-aspirated and turbocharged Mazdaspeed Miata
21-485 2004 1.3L 2RTR Mazda RX-8

#7 ·
Good thread. With my mind always on my next mod, I overlooked the smog check issue in Cali.
Franchize, thanks for digging up the facts. It never occured to me I could fail a visual inspection without a CARB approved CAI.

#8 ·
Yeah, perhaps this should be our CA-related emission thread. Here's the link to the DMV about smog check. I highlighted the area that is pertinent to us.

Currently, smog inspections are required for all vehicles except diesel powered vehicles, electric, natural gas powered vehicles over 14,000 lbs, hybrids, motorcycles, trailers, or vehicles 1975 and older.

Vehicles registered in areas subject to the biennial smog certification program are required to submit evidence of a smog certification every other renewal period. Owners of vehicles six or less model years old will pay an annual smog abatement fee for the first six registration years instead of being required to provide a biennial smog certification. The registration renewal notice mailed to you by the department will indicate if a smog certification is required. If a smog certification is required and you have not had a smog inspection, you may still pay your registration fees to avoid any late fees. However, you will not receive your new registration or year sticker until the smog information has been received by DMV.[/b]
Does that mean that all Mazda6 (oldest Mazda6 is made in 2003) bought in CA do not have to go through Smog check until 6 years later!? Wow, that's great if it's true, because that means I don't have to do inspection until 2011!!

#9 ·
Yeah, perhaps this should be our CA-related emission thread. Here's the link to the DMV about smog check. I highlighted the area that is pertinent to us.
Does that mean that all Mazda6 (oldest Mazda6 is made in 2003) bought in CA do not have to go through Smog check until 6 years later!? Wow, that's great if it's true, because that means I don't have to do inspection until 2011!![/b]
Yup that is correct.

For the first 4 model years old, you only need to get a smog test if it's an initial registration. Meaning if you buy it new, or move to the state and get it registered.

For the years 5-6, you need a smog if it changes ownership, and any initial registration(such as moving into California).

For 7 model years old and older, you have biennial smog test (every 2 years), unless it's a pre-1976 vehicle (excempt).

http://www.smogcheck.ca.gov/ftp/pdffacts/v..._smog_check.pdf

BTW: The EO numbers are also usefull to other members around the country as most states smog laws are mirror images on California's.

#10 ·
You guys have been great with detail in this thread!
I went back to the Smog Check station yesterday (after I've already failed once) and this is when I learned about the CARB/EO deal.

Originally I installed the Injen intake a couple years ago in Connecticut. I moved to Cali and got a Smog Check, passed emissions but failed the visual.
1) "Disconnected" Vacuum Lines to Sensors/Switches
2) "Disconnected" Fuel Evaporative Controls
3) "Modified" Other Emission Related Components (I believe they're referring to the Injen)

So I went ahead and removed my Injen. I bought a stock airbox from a 6 owner on the club site. Well, he didn't ship me the duct that connects to the throttle body, for whatever reason, so I went out and bought a couple components: dryer hose and vacuum adaptor wannabe stainless pipe with 3 plugs (http://www.partsamerica.com/product_images/img/sct/8707.jpg).

I kept the injen rubber piece over the throttle body, connected it to the adaptor then connected the adaptor to the dryer hose and into the airbox *see picture attached*

That's when I went to the Smog Check station yesterday and got the low down.

After realizing how ghetto it looks, I'm a little embarassed. Though, just incase, I did buy a Spectre duct (http://www.partsamerica.com/product_images/img/sct/8741.jpg) that should go from the airbox to the throttle body. The only problem is that I'll still need to connect the valves to the hose......so I bought an adaptor kit (http://www.partsamerica.com/product_images/img/sct/8711.jpg) where I can drill a hole in the duct and connect the plug. I believe this will definitely look more stock.

I'm going to give this a shot, but if this doesn't work, is anyone willing to temporarily swap components with me just so I can pass the Smog Check? I'll swap out the Spectre parts for the stock parts......once I pass the test......we'll swap em back. I'll buy you some beer :). I won't be around this weekend (Fri-Sun) but I can do this during the week this week or next. As soon as possible would be fantastic. I live in Santa Clarita, about 7 miles from Magic Mountain. I work in Chatsworth. We can meet up somewhere or do it at my house.

Thanks a million!!!!

Attachments

#11 ·
1) "Disconnected" Vacuum Lines to Sensors/Switches
2) "Disconnected" Fuel Evaporative Controls[/b]
i think those 2 are what i'm confused with? when you said you "did a closed loop on one of your sensors" what exactly does that mean? if you connect the Injen the way it was deslgned to be connected, it has a CARB approval and you should need to do any trickery. did you scan the car to see if there were any pending codes that weren't throwing the light? just trying to figure some things out.

#12 ·
i think those 2 are what i'm confused with? when you said you "did a closed loop on one of your sensors" what exactly does that mean? if you connect the Injen the way it was deslgned to be connected, it has a CARB approval and you should need to do any trickery. did you scan the car to see if there were any pending codes that weren't throwing the light? just trying to figure some things out.[/b]
When I got this Injen, it was when the CEL codes were being thrown on. This particular model was a prototype that I bought off someone on the 6club that doesn't throw the CEL on all the time. Occasionally the light will go on....but only when I'm low on gas, going uphill with the AC on lol.

The "closed loop" thing I was talking about earlier has to do with the green connector that's on the stock Airbox. You have to unplug it to remove the airbox but there's nowhere to plug it into on the Injen, so I pretty much left it hanging.

1)....I'm not sure why he says it's disconnected. It was plugged into the Intake.
2)....Fuel Evap Controls....I have no clue what that is.

Thanks for your help!

#13 ·
I'm still a little confused. The Injen CAI is CARB legal, so what exactly is the problem??? Can't you just print out the CARB sticker and that's end of story?

I'm planning to get a CAI, but it seems like it's a lot of trouble after the 7 year period.

BTW: what's the update? Did you swap intake yet?

#14 ·
OOOOOR

You could talk to local "tuner" type people and find a station that will just pass you w/o all this bullshit.

Now if you have "morals" or are worried about karma or something. Just consider this. YOUR vehicle is being failed, while huge V12 suv's are driving around getting 10 or less MPG and doing 100x worse than you ever will. In fact your vehicle is probably doing the same as it did stock. So just find a shop that will skip the visual... and possible skip the whole process and just write you up!

I'm all for the Cali smog laws to help reduce pollution but they crack down on the tuner population really hard... and I have a feeling we are a VERY VERY VERY small chunk of the smog problem when compared to all the huge trucks and SUVS... I see big ass trucks dump out thick black smoke every day... while i've never seen a decent import do that...

#15 ·
I just got an update from Fujita about them going for a CARB EO#. Here's the email I sent them and at the bottom is there response, which I take a pretty possitive.

=====================================================

About 3 months ago I bought CAI for my Mazda6 V6 and am very pleased with it. I belong to mazda6club.com and some members are concerned with passing California's Smog Check. Some members have failed just the visual inspection with an installed CAI. We've found that AEM has been able to get around this with the CARB EO, and I'm wondering what your plans are to support the people who have purchased your CAI concerning Smog Checks. I personally won't have to deal with it for another 3 years, but it's on the menu. Below is some information from one of the members concerning CPE and AEM with CARB EO.

==============================================================================

This is for 06-07 MazdaSpeed6 and Speed3

MazdaSpeed EO: D-607

MazdaSpeed (MazdaSpeed3) EO: D-607-1

http://arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/devices/eo/D-607-1.pdf

=================================================================

Again, can you tell me what your plans are in reference to your CAI's and California's Smog tests?
Will you be applying for a CARB EO in the near future? Please let me know so I can pass the word along to the club as I've been responsible for refering people to purchase your particular CAI recently. Please respond soonest so I can pass any news you may have to the rest of the club members.

Thank you and keep up the good work and great products.

Bob

==============================================================

Fujita's Response:

We are currently in the process of getting ARB approval and receiving our EO #. Since we are a new company it takes a little longer. The approval process is in the hands of the air resource board, we cannot rush them. We will provide the ARB EO # to the people that purchase our intake with proof of purchase.

==============================================================

I'm gonna email them back and see how long their talking about, but here's another CAI producer that is doing the right thing.

Just thought you all would like to know.

#16 ·
i know this thread is old but i just recently bought a fujita CAI (using as SRI for now) but do we have an update on this??? i have an 05 and i purchased it in CA does anyone know when i should be expecting a smog check?

oh and one last question about that whole closed loop thing. i did notice that after installing an intake there isnt a spot for the green connector to connect to anymore and mine is also dangling. does it matter if its dangling or should i remove the piece off the old airbox and connect it to the green connector? i thought i read somehwere its not necessary but just makes for more of a complete install. anyone care to chime in???

#17 ·
I'm considering the CPE catted DP for my MS6 which deletes the second cat (where TP/RP go). Since the 2nd cat is after the O2 sensor, there's no problem with CEL's. but does anyone know have any experience (1st or 2nd hand) with whether I'll fail visual. Unlike a CAI, it would not be obvious to the smog shop, unless they knew to be looking for the 2nd cat. Since the DP is such a PITA install (5-6 hr install IIRC), I'm not thrilled with idea of having to swapping it in and out every other year for smog check.

#20 ·
Visual check? Show him a CARB EO number. I think they have it exempt, or pending. I'll see if I can find anything.[/b]

my CARB number is still pending. No number = no pass.

#22 ·

i might sound really stupid right now, but doesn't this mean its approved in cali no?[/b]

if you read further in that document, its all correct upto 2004 with the 6. 05+ are out of luck at the moment.

#23 ·
QUOTE (franchize @ Jun 25 2007, 05:34 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1050574
Visual check? Show him a CARB EO number. I think they have it exempt, or pending. I'll see if I can find anything.[/b]
Injen sent me the CARB sticker for my intake... you have to show them proof of purchase and they'll send it to you

#24 ·
QUOTE (exftw @ May 10 2008, 09:36 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1344739
if you read further in that document, its all correct upto 2004 with the 6. 05+ are out of luck at the moment.[/b]
Injen didn't ask what year my 6 was, I just sent them a picture of it on my car and got a CARB sticker. The test station won't know the difference.

#26 ·
they won't even look at it in Cali if it has a CEL. if it doesn't have a CEL on, they do the test and scan the computer as it needs a certain # of miles after the reset or they will fail it as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.