post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-29-2015, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
Exclamation Civic, is that you?

As we look forward to what the 4th Generation Mazda 6 will look like (fingers crossed for some cross-pollination with the RX-VISION Concept), I saw this vehicle in the dark of night passing by me. At night, this looked like a smaller version of the new 2016 Nissan Maxima, however it was about as large as my 6, and had a very similar silhouette. When it passed, it revealed itself to be a Honda...but which one? To my surprise I discover this was the new 2016 Honda Civic! WhAt?!?!

When I searched it on the web, I found out it just was crowned AutoGuide.com 2016 Car Of The Year. But that wasn't the biggest shocker to me...what SHOCKED ME, was this was a CIVIC! Not the Civic from my youth, but one that's been working out, and appears to be on some type of growth hormone. Whoa!

For size comparison, see the 2016 Coupe, and imagine 2 more doors:

In my opinion, the sedan looks like the love child of a Nissan Altima and Maxima (implying that Honda had no future design language it developed on its own, so it "pilfered" some from a competitor)! Aside from the busy crease lines and the "butta-face" grill, I must say I'm shocked, surprised and curious about what this means for the next Gen6 and the future of Mazda 3 development. The Coupe treatment, should it be applied to the sedan, may disrupt the progress of Mazda's "Kudos for Kodo" parade. Car And Driver has been most generous with acknowledging what we already know about How AWESOME Mazda's are, however we're all aware the volume giant the Civic has been and with this new size, and apparently better MPGs, this could prove very disrupting to Mazda's forward progress.

So, have any of you seen the new Civic? If so, what are your thoughts and opinions about the vehicle, and on what this could mean for our favorite car company? Look Forward to your replies!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by OCTOGONPC; 12-29-2015 at 05:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-29-2015, 05:48 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
I just hate the way this car looks from the rear. Other than that, I'd say Honda did a good job in the visual department.
The Following User Says Thank You to btp589 For This Useful Post:
OCTOGONPC (12-29-2015)
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-29-2015, 06:08 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Garage
The flaring of the front fenders adds to a much more interesting body line for the car to follow, looks very koduish. I applaud Honda for finally giving us something interesting to look at. Although the exterior styling of the new accord is horrendous.. Way too much like the 16' Maxima which is appalling in my opinion. Previous models of it were much prettier.

This will give the 3 some stiff competition once again. Can't wait to see what kodu 2.0 will have in store for us from a production model stand point.
The Following User Says Thank You to aneville11 For This Useful Post:
OCTOGONPC (12-29-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-29-2015, 06:25 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Garage
I think the new civic is a lot better looking than the previous generation. The only bad thing id say is the rear end. However, all looks are subjective.

As far as fun to drive goes, it probably won't be from what I've read so far.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
The Following User Says Thank You to Ocean6 For This Useful Post:
OCTOGONPC (12-29-2015)
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-29-2015, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Maxima...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneville11 View Post
... Way too much like the 16' Maxima which is appalling in my opinion. Previous models of it were much prettier...
I think the one thing Nissan missed w/ the new Maxima translation are the wheels! Just like a fresh pair of kicks make an outfit stand out, the right wheels (like the one on the Concept vehicle) changes everything!

CONCEPT:

PRODUCTION:

I'd even say the candied color adds to the appeal of such a radical design. That's why IF Honda "doubles-down" on the Civic and go bold on it, like the coupe, this car can become a game-changer (like the YF Sonata did for the mid-size segment)!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-29-2015, 08:02 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Garage
Honda really botched the previous generation (2012-2015) so they have some mending to do. Touring and SI models get a 1.5T, a first for a production Honda. The Touring is also the only model to get the full LED headlight treatment.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-29-2015, 09:37 PM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
i went to a honda dealer yesterday to pick up some parts to fix my parent's crv. while there, I checked out the new inventory a little, man, the new civic looks huge for its class, might as well be a midsize sedan. Its less boring than the previous gen, better looking, but it aint a mazda level exterior.

2014 Mazda 6 Touring Liquid Silver
[ OVT 91 octane tune ][ CS Power Series SRI+Airbox ][ Racing Beat Axleback ][Paddle Shift retrofit][ Morimoto XB35 35w 5000k HID lows ][ LED interior lights and plate lights ][ 3M FX HP Tint ][ Dipped rims and dipped trim ]

The Following User Says Thank You to Jerrycobra For This Useful Post:
OCTOGONPC (12-30-2015)
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 01:32 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Encroachment...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrycobra View Post
i went to a honda dealer yesterday to pick up some parts to fix my parent's crv. while there, I checked out the new inventory a little, man, the new civic looks huge for its class, might as well be a midsize sedan. Its less boring than the previous gen, better looking, but it aint a mazda level exterior.
When I saw it, I first thought it had to be an Accord, because of its size. I agree that it is approaching Midsize level, and maybe that will force Accord to Fullsize class, and open a new compact vehicle in the stall. Anyway, I felt it was encroaching on the car class, and we all know how many Honda will sell. Speaking of which, do you remember the price and which model you saw?

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 01:40 AM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCTOGONPC View Post
When I saw it, I first thought it had to be an Accord, because of its size. I agree that it is approaching Midsize level, and maybe that will force Accord to Fullsize class, and open a new compact vehicle in the stall. Anyway, I felt it was encroaching on the car class, and we all know how many Honda will sell. Speaking of which, do you remember the price and which model you saw?
it was around 21-22k msrp i think, if not its invoice, but it has nice alloy rims which lead me to think its an EX trim, which is on par with the mazda touring trim.

2014 Mazda 6 Touring Liquid Silver
[ OVT 91 octane tune ][ CS Power Series SRI+Airbox ][ Racing Beat Axleback ][Paddle Shift retrofit][ Morimoto XB35 35w 5000k HID lows ][ LED interior lights and plate lights ][ 3M FX HP Tint ][ Dipped rims and dipped trim ]

The Following User Says Thank You to Jerrycobra For This Useful Post:
OCTOGONPC (12-30-2015)
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 09:41 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCTOGONPC View Post
That's why IF Honda "doubles-down" on the Civic and go bold on it, like the coupe, this car can become a game-changer (like the YF Sonata did for the mid-size segment)!
I agree, I think Honda trying to place a bit more personality in their lineup is long overdue. Their cars have been bland, boring, statements of point A to B transportation for far too long. When was the last time you heard someone say their base line civic is fun to drive? Or any model outside of the Si and Accord coupe V6. Yeah the S2k back in 09.. Which we will soon see a 2nd Gen of as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to aneville11 For This Useful Post:
OCTOGONPC (12-30-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page