Doug DeMuro's take on the new Mazda3 Sedan - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Groans: 2
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zu4N-1s1rEs

I don't really agree with (what I believe to be) Doug's really harsh rating system... or necessarily his general focus in his car reviews but some of this is interesting, I believe. He does't say alot about the engine or transmission. He does talk about the chassis quietness...

Cdn17Sport6MT
Vancouver, BC Canada
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 03:09 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Garage
I have to agree that the hatchback looks weird. I've had my M6 a few months, but I just discovered the little storage box to the left of the steering wheel. I put about $1 worth of change and a tiny LED light in it, it's nice to easily get change for a drive through. It's a weird little thing, but I dig it.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 07:10 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brightshen View Post
I have to agree that the hatchback looks weird. I've had my M6 a few months, but I just discovered the little storage box to the left of the steering wheel. I put about $1 worth of change and a tiny LED light in it, it's nice to easily get change for a drive through. It's a weird little thing, but I dig it.
Saw a black 2019 Mazda 3 hatchback this afternoon as I left work(my office building is literally next door to a Mazda dealer). The guy driving it had just bought it.

I have to say that pictures don't do it justice. The hatch design is definitely different and I wasn't a fan of it at first; after seeing it in-person brand new, in the Texas sun, on the road, I have to say it looks pretty damn good.

2018 Mazda 6

Grand Touring Reserve
Deep Crystal Blue Exterior
Black Interior
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 10:22 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Groans: 5
Garage
I’m not a fan. Agree his rating scale is whack. Even his “favorite” compact car (Kia Soul) only gets a 52/100. He seems to rate all cars against high end vehicles and not within each class. And granted all reviews have some personal bias, his is really strong. He needs more objectivity.

I really like the new 3, the HV back in particular. I hope all the neat little details will make it to the next gen 6.

'18 Machine Gray GT Reserve
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 11:03 PM
GWL

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trippp View Post
I’m not a fan. Agree his rating scale is whack. Even his “favorite” compact car (Kia Soul) only gets a 52/100. He seems to rate all cars against high end vehicles and not within each class. And granted all reviews have some personal bias, his is really strong. He needs more objectivity.

I really like the new 3, the HV back in particular. I hope all the neat little details will make it to the next gen 6.

Yes, no kidding.
He says 0-60mph in 7.0 seconds and gets 2/10.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 03:06 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechZeke View Post
Saw a black 2019 Mazda 3 hatchback this afternoon as I left work(my office building is literally next door to a Mazda dealer). The guy driving it had just bought it.

I have to say that pictures don't do it justice. The hatch design is definitely different and I wasn't a fan of it at first; after seeing it person brand new, in the Texas sun, on the road, I have to say looks pretty damn good.
I haven't seen any in person, but I have heard other people say that as well. I guess I just really like the 16'-17' design, the 18s' started getting rounder and it seems that trend will continue. I like some edges, just my personal taste .
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 09:46 AM

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Groans: 20
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Garage
Of course he rates high end cars better, he would not be allowed to review them if he did not. He found a niche and filled it, but his reviews are very biased towards his personal tastes.

2004 Mazda 6s 3.0 5dr. 5spd never ending money vacuum project:
CP-E headers w/catted mid + Magnaflow carback/AEM CAI/3.7L TB/Speed6 springs/RX-8 wheels
AWR 70D Enginemount/CP-E Dogbone/Custom urethane stock trans mount
Ralco shortshifter/Bose w/Auxmod/sharkfin antenna/lots of little things...
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 10:01 AM
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trippp View Post
So, that's kind of the whole deal with his rating system. All cars are scored on the same scale, so yes, a $27k compact sedan will only get a 50, because it's being scored against literally everything. I agree that it is inconsistent with the class-based comparison reviews that seemingly every other automotive journalist uses, but again, maybe that's the point: to make himself stand out, even if people disagree with the approach.

It seems counter-intuitive, but if you take it in context, I think it's a bit refreshing.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 10:03 AM
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
...but his reviews are very biased towards his personal tastes.
It's called the "Doug Score". I don't think he's hiding the fact that it's subjectively biased.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 10:10 AM

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Groans: 20
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Garage
There is no such thing as an "objective review" because it is impossible for humans to turn off selective bias and personal preference.

That being said, comparing all cars in one ratings scale simply benefits his target audience of well off car buyers. Pandering to those that spend more money is the way it is, corporations like profit a lot more than good vibes. For me, in my personal opinion, the last place I would be looking if I were buying is online/newspaper car reviews. They are all heavily biased and they are paid for by the marketing/sales departments. I could care less what Doug Demuro or anyone like him says, but again, this is MY opinion and personal feelings. I have an obvious bias against the review industry, just as he has an obvious bias towards high end cars.

2004 Mazda 6s 3.0 5dr. 5spd never ending money vacuum project:
CP-E headers w/catted mid + Magnaflow carback/AEM CAI/3.7L TB/Speed6 springs/RX-8 wheels
AWR 70D Enginemount/CP-E Dogbone/Custom urethane stock trans mount
Ralco shortshifter/Bose w/Auxmod/sharkfin antenna/lots of little things...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page