Pricing and Packaging Released for 19' Mazda3 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Garage
Pricing and Packaging Released for 19' Mazda3

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/01/23/...#slide-7474733

Pretty big jump in pricing from 18's but 2.0L Skyactiv has been dropped for the 2.5 standard. Manual transmission only available in one Hatchback variant. No information on alternative engine options, either.. I'm excited to see what's in store for the progressive updates through the 19MY.
The Following User Says Thank You to aneville11 For This Useful Post:
MilR (01-24-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 04:51 PM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneville11 View Post
https://www.autoblog.com/2019/01/23/...#slide-7474733

Pretty big jump in pricing from 18's but 2.0L Skyactiv has been dropped for the 2.5 standard. Manual transmission only available in one Hatchback variant. No information on alternative engine options, either.. I'm excited to see what's in store for the progressive updates through the 19MY.

They also dropped the Sport, Touring and Grand Touring trim levels for (base), Select (sedan only), Preferred and Premium (which is the only trim option where you can get a manual... strange). Manual also will NOT be available with AWD. The only standalone options outside the trims will be color palate choices.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...hback-pricing/
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 09:32 AM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Groans: 2
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
Not surprising they gutted the MT options from the last gen. Too bad, though. High $20s is real steep for an economy (even if it's "semi-luxury") hatch with a stick, even though it will have plenty of amenities. Very confident pricing on Mazda's part--it'll be interesting to see what kind of discounts these end up having.

Manual transmissions, wagons, and heavy metal are awesome. Zoom-Zoom \m/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 Mazda 6s Wagon - 3.0L V6 | 5MT | Steel Gray Metallic |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mods: 2015 OEM 17" 6 rims | NGK Iridium IX plugs | Matte black painted OEM wheels (winters) | Red painted calipers | Light black "smoked" headlights | R1 Concepts eLine rear rotors and pads | Rear V6 emblem added
Other Mazdas owned: 2015 Mazda 5 Sport ATX (current), 2010 Mazda 6 ATX (traded), 1997 Protege MTX (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 10:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Garage
'Boy am I glad I bought my Cdn spec. '17 Mazda6 Sport 6MT for about $Cdn 22k in Feb '17! Yes, "decontented" relative to a Touring or GT (but it has back up cam, seat heaters - 4 seats, heated mirrors, rain sensing wipers, etc... all features targeted at "The Great White North" says me, living in the Pacific Northwest climate, hehe). It sure represented value, in my mind. Bear in mind 1$Cdn = .74$US currently... but wages are lower in Canada vs the 'States.

Cdn17Sport6MT
Vancouver, BC Canada

Last edited by Cdn17Sport6MT; 01-24-2019 at 12:54 PM.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 10:46 AM

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 895 Post(s)
Groans: 4
Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts
$28+k for a stick in the "3"? Uh...... what are they smoking over there?

The $2,500+ cost add for the hatch is obnoxious as well.
LIMazda6 likes this.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 12:30 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Vipre77 Send a message via Yahoo to Vipre77
Manual and automatic are the same price? Used to be sticks were $500-$1000 cheaper than the automatic version. They must not be selling enough of them to get enough economy of scale on the parts. I assume that with the stick you'll also lose the radar cruise control and just get regular cruise control instead since the car won't be able to change gears for you to speed up and slow down automatically as this system is intended to work.

These MSRP's for the FWD versions don't seem that much different than they were when I bought my 07 Mazda 3s GT. After adjusting for inflation, these prices might even be cheaper.

I wonder if this will be the death of the CX-3. With an AWD 3, there's really very little compelling reason left to choose the CX-3 instead unless you really like the styling or shorter wheelbase on the CX-3 better. I told my sales guy as much when I bought my CX-3 that I couldn't figure out why they bothered to offer a FWD version of the CX-3 because without AWD, the 3 is a better car in nearly every meaningful way for about the same price. He said, "Yeah, I can't argue with that at all..." I think if the CX-3 lives for another generation, they'll have to do something with this car to set it apart from the rest of their line-up.

His: 2018 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, Machine Grey
Hers: 2016 CX-5 Sport FWD, Reflex Blue
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 08:51 AM

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 895 Post(s)
Groans: 4
Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts
MTXs are less expensive to make (by quite a lot) than an ATX. That's especially true for a modern ATX with its computer controls and such. It SHOULD be less expensive.

One place where they really did cheese the existing MTXs in the "6" is in the flywheel/clutch assembly; they used a DMF, which is usually only found on diesels (SMF flywheels rattle something crazy on diesels at idle, which people find extraordinarily annoying.) There's no reason for them to have done that other than to not have to engineer and manufacture a different flywheel assembly.

Does it really matter in driving experience? Not really, but it is part of the reason you can get idle surging on the "6" when in gear under certain conditions (think in very slow traffic) and also can be a bit odd on launch (which I notice, but many people won't.)
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 02:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickerguy View Post

One place where they really did cheese the existing MTXs in the "6" is in the flywheel/clutch assembly; they used a DMF, which is usually only found on diesels (SMF flywheels rattle something crazy on diesels at idle, which people find extraordinarily annoying.) There's no reason for them to have done that other than to not have to engineer and manufacture a different flywheel assembly.

Does it really matter in driving experience? Not really, but it is part of the reason you can get idle surging on the "6" when in gear under certain conditions (think in very slow traffic) and also can be a bit odd on launch (which I notice, but many people won't.)
To quote you, Tickerguy, you must mean that as Mazda already offered a dual mass flywheel (DMF) with their turbodiesel engine (not sure if that is 2.0 or 2.5 litres - it is not offered in North America) - then they presumably just offered that with the Skyactiv-G 2.5 - our engine - when equipped with the 6MT transmission...

As for me, the other day I was in stop and go traffic, just inching along, queuing for a bridge... and I managed most of the distance up to when the traffic started moving again - to remain in 1st gear. I did experience some "rubber-banding" of the driveline... but I found that with careful manipulation of the throttle this was pretty well held-at-bay. As for a normal "let out the clutch" circumstance I'm not sure I can feel "weirdness"... and I am in most circumstances barely giving it a tick above idle, by way of throttle, when I am getting underway. Clutch is fully engaged, pretty-near right-away... more or less at walking speed I would gauge.

If memory serves, when Ford created a 2 door Focus SVT originally, they had a 2 litre engine I think... and a Cosworth developed head (?) ... and a 6MT Getrag 'box... and I think they mentioned that a DMF was being used. So I don't think DMF's are used only on diesels. I have, though, heard that DMF's are not as long-lived as SMF's are. 'Hope that mine lasts and lasts, though!

Cdn17Sport6MT
Vancouver, BC Canada
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 03:09 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipre77 View Post
I wonder if this will be the death of the CX-3.
Not a chance! Logically you would think so, but crossovers are just too in demand right now. Small crossovers and AWD hatches actually have totally different customer bases. Someone looking for a crossover, I don't think, would EVER consider a hatchback so no manufacturer would replace a crossover with a hatch. Now, if gas goes back up over $4, it'll be a whole different landscape (again).

Manual transmissions, wagons, and heavy metal are awesome. Zoom-Zoom \m/

2004 Mazda 6s Wagon - 3.0L V6 | 5MT | Steel Gray Metallic |

Mods: 2015 OEM 17" 6 rims | NGK Iridium IX plugs | Matte black painted OEM wheels (winters) | Red painted calipers | Light black "smoked" headlights | R1 Concepts eLine rear rotors and pads | Rear V6 emblem added
Other Mazdas owned: 2015 Mazda 5 Sport ATX (current), 2010 Mazda 6 ATX (traded), 1997 Protege MTX (sold)
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipre77 View Post
I wonder if this will be the death of the CX-3.
I said the same thing when they announced AWD.

I've been selling Mazda's for a total of about 4 years & have delivered ONE new CX-3. Mostly due to the fact that Mazda never offers more than a $500 rebate outside of qualifying incentives. They'll almost definitely be discontinued in the North American market. The Euro's love their city skates though, so I'd assume it will continue outside of the US for another 4 or 5 model years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page