13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 10:29 PM

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Groans: 4
Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts
There's good and bad with the Sky-X not coming to the US first. The good is that if there are problems we'll find out about them, and maybe not get the engine at all.

The bad is that if there aren't problems we don't get it right away, and maybe not at all.

The existing SkyActiv engine has been insanely good to me. If the -X is anywhere near that good it will be a nuclear weapon right on top of Elon Musk's house -- and head.

Never mind all the other "conventional" manufacturers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 01:05 PM
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechZeke View Post
I don't want to be the first one "testing" Skyactiv X. The reliability of the Skyactiv X is unknown, and they still have to turbo charge it.

I hit my head a few times since getting this car, I'm not gonna lie.

I remember early in college I really wanted a crossover. Then, I started an internship where the company vehicles were CUVs(large and small) and I just didn't like them. I'm officially a sedan man.

The space argument against sedans is a bit overblown, in my opinion. The 6 trunk can hold a ton of crap; even more with the seats down. The only real advantage with a larger crossover is if you're carrying very wide/tall items which for 99% of people is 0.1% of the time. If you're carrying normal things like luggage or stuff to go to the beach, you can easily do it even with 3 other people in the car.

Heck, I went up to a college retreat with 4 of us in the car plus all of our crap in a Kia Forte. But everyone needs a CUV...

I agree with the space in cars comment. I drive a Corolla, and my wife has a mid-sized CUV. I can fit two sets of golf clubs and two pull carts in the trunk of the car, and have to fold the rear seats down in the CUV. The car also provides non visibility of the contents.

I was never a proponent of having cargo and passenger space in one area. Just find wagons and SUV's/CUV's noisier than sedans. If I'm going to buy a two box vehicle, I'd personally go with a minivan. I've heard the arguments of the "coolness" factor. Personally think purchasing an SUV, when a minivan does a superior job for a family, is, umm, ok not dumb as that's insulting, but non cognizant of purchasing the correct tool for the job. IMO, of course.
TechZeke likes this.
post #53 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 01:10 PM
Learners License

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
As I read my original comment, sounds like I'm making a negative comment towards my wife and I. I am, in a way, as I always tease her for purchasing a CUV. We did own two minivans when our three kids were younger. I personally do not like driving the CUV. Don't like the driving height whereas that appears to be one of the prime reasons they sell well. And it's an automatic. lol.
TechZeke likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #54 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 05:49 PM
Learners License

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
They won't ever turbocharge the active x as it has a supercharger as standard.
post #55 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 06:11 PM

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Groans: 4
Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts
There's nothing technologically preventing putting a turbo on the -X engine; the supercharger is there for consistency in flow. In addition there's no detonation problem with it either if you're operating in compression ignition mode (which is a huge problem with spark-ignition engines) so just as with a diesel the power limit if they DO turbocharge it is a function of how much power it can make before something expensive breaks.

However, it may not be possible to meet emissions numbers with a turbo in compression-ignition mode, and if so that would preclude them from doing it from the factory...... and the complexity of the control system may make it uneconomic for third party tuners and such to jump in as well (never mind that I have no idea what sort of margin is there for durability if you start cranking output up.)
post #56 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 05:06 PM
Learners License

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
All of the major magazines/sites have first drive reviews this week from a press event Mazda hosted in Pasadena. Mostly raves, notable for the handling.

I was at the auto show release in L.A. and got to sit in the new 3. Coming from my 2015 base/sport 6, I've always felt the 3 didn't quite have enough length to express the lines of the sedan properly. Those curves are tight and a little dowdy. In the 2019 3, they did away with the hard crease lines and rely more on reflection lines the car gives off, especially while moving. Sitting indoors, it felt like it lost some of the Mazda family resemblance. That wheel-well curve dating back at least to the RX-8. On the other hand, it gained something different and elegant. The hatch is a little radical, doesn't rely on that side panel line, crazy rear quarter, and I kind of liked it! With rear-view cameras, and mirrors set properly, I'm not too concerned about visibility. Would have to do some serious test drives.

Overall, the 6 was the biggest car I've ever owned (different story I may post in another thread), so both my wife and I would probably be more comfortable zipping around in a 3. But having gone to the 6 and almost gotten used to it, it'll be hard to step back/down at this point. Will probably decide on the next car in the next year or so, after a 2019 6 comes out. Excited to see how much of the new 3 affects the 6.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page