Just test drove a 2018 3 Touring 6MT - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
Just test drove a 2018 3 Touring 6MT

And it was awesome! Our 5 had a lift gate safety recall so I drove this 2.5L 3 while waiting at the dealership. What an amazing little car! I've never driven a 3 and I loved its power and handling, and its gorgeous looks too. The shifts were great and corners were fun as hell. I'm not in the market to buy another vehicle, but I'm baffled why anyone would buy a Civic, Corolla, etc. when the 3 exists...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180816_152837891_1534450496096.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	818.1 KB
ID:	223302  

Manual transmissions, wagons, and heavy metal are awesome. Zoom-Zoom \m/
2004 Mazda 6s Wagon - 3.0L V6, 5MT, Steel Gray Metallic
Mods: Pinstripes removed, rear V6 emblem added
Other Mazdas owned: 2015 Mazda 5 Sport ATX (current), 2010 Mazda 6 ATX (traded), 1997 Protege MTX (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 04:58 PM

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 781 Post(s)
Groans: 4
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts
If it wasn't for the fact that my "6" was actually CHEAPER than the equivalent-trim "3" I would own a 3 Hatch.

But it was, despite being a materially-larger vehicle with a more-powerful engine. I would have absolutely adored it as a wagon, but as it stands I'm very happy with my sedan.

Nonetheless, a 3-hatch, if it had been at the same price-point as my "6", I would have bought immediately instead. I just could not justify paying more and getting less, even if not much more.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

Garage
How was the 6 less than the 3? The 3 was loaded and the 6 was base? The 3 I drove was around $21kish if I remember. But yeah, I definitely wouldn't spend more on a 3 than a 6.

And a 3 wagon would be amazing.

Other Mazdas owned: 2015 Mazda 5 Sport ATX (current), 2010 Mazda 6 ATX (traded), 1997 Protege MTX (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 05:58 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 4 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateweb View Post
How was the 6 less than the 3? The 3 was loaded and the 6 was base? The 3 I drove was around $21kish if I remember. But yeah, I definitely wouldn't spend more on a 3 than a 6.

How did the 3 feel compared to your current wagon? mainly, what did you think of the engine, and the feel/gearing of the newer 6 speed?

did the 3 feel more refined and stable compared to the 6? which chassis do you prefer?

I've driven a 2L base Mazda 3 along with my 2.5L 6, and I thought it was a fantastic handling car. slow, but genuinely good for a 2L and great fun to drive. the suspension felt sharper and more buttoned down VS. the softer 6.

2015 Mazda 6 GS-L Touring - Liquid Silver Metallic - Auto
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 06:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Groans: 5
I just bought a 17 3GT 6mt sedan and its the same size as my 06 Hatch and every bit as powerful. The Bose is loud and kicks good, but cant feel it in my ass like the Bose sub bolted to the frame of the hatch. It doesnt stick quite as well as the 6, but i think its cause of the tires. The newer 6 wasnt on my list since you cant get an MT on the GT, which is a travesty.

2006 6 Hatch Grand Touring 5spd Sunroof

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Inline View Post

How did the 3 feel compared to your current wagon? mainly, what did you think of the engine, and the feel/gearing of the newer 6 speed?

did the 3 feel more refined and stable compared to the 6? which chassis do you prefer?

I've driven a 2L base Mazda 3 along with my 2.5L 6, and I thought it was a fantastic handling car. slow, but genuinely good for a 2L and great fun to drive. the suspension felt sharper and more buttoned down VS. the softer 6.
The 3 was a much different beast than my V6 wagon as it's much lighter and shorter. As such it feels a lot stickier than the wagon. 1st and 2nd gear feel extremely fast compared to the wagon and you almost can't help but chirp the wheels in the 3, which is a lot of fun. The wagon is more powerful overall but the 3 is very torquey at lower speeds and is a blast to drive.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 08:25 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Groans: 3
I had a similar experience when I test drove the 3 GT 6spd MT, it felt refined, handled well and was easy to drive. It was a bit sharper than the 6 to be sure since it's smaller and lighter. My only gripe was that it was kind of cramped compared to the Civic hatch and even the prior gen 3 due to the more sloping rear roofline. That is where I can see why someone would choose the competitors over it if they really needed the utility and the space. Otherwise, the 3 is much more polished and refined in comparison to the Civic and Corolla.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 09:14 PM

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 781 Post(s)
Groans: 4
Quote:

Mazda 3 5-door, stick, sport: $19,345 base.

NOW the 6-Sport, stick is MSRP $21,950. But I paid under $19k and there were NO deals on the 3 in a Sport/stick trim when I bought mine. At all. The "3" in a 5-door, hatch and stick, sport trim would have not only been almost $1,000 more than I paid it ALSO would have precluded replacing the stereo since it had the "burnt toast" display and not a double-din that I could pull out and replace.

Today it would be easy; I'd do the 3 5-door (hatch), no contest. I don't actually NEED the additional length and the hatch + folded rear seats is plenty of cargo space. And I'd still go "sport" because I just can't get my arms around $1,500 for the Blows stereo. No way, no how.

How they get "33mpg" on the highway for the 2018 "6" is beyond me; I easily achieve 37/38, and that's with an *average* speed across the tank of ~68mph (70mph speed limits, typical actual speed 75mph.) What the hell did they do to destroy its economy?

I'm quite interested in the "3" when the HX engine comes out for it. I'll give it a year to make sure there isn't anything catastrophically wrong with it, but if not I want one -- with a stick. That ought to be a 50mpg highway vehicle; I'll sell my "6" when it shows up or, if I can't get a price I like maybe I'll give it to my kid if her Jetta is getting nasty by then.

BTW when I had my "6" in for the door sill recall they gave me a "3" as a loaner. It was an ATX Touring. I liked it, but the ATX was uninspiring. With a stick I would have liked it a LOT.
nateweb likes this.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 09:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Groans: 2
Tickerguy (or Others): in brief, what does the door sill recal comprise, and do you know which model years of 6 it corresponds to?

Cdn17Sport6MT
Vancouver, BC Canada
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 09:42 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 4 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Inline View Post

The 3 was a much different beast than my V6 wagon as it's much lighter and shorter. As such it feels a lot stickier than the wagon. 1st and 2nd gear feel extremely fast compared to the wagon and you almost can't help but chirp the wheels in the 3, which is a lot of fun. The wagon is more powerful overall but the 3 is very torquey at lower speeds and is a blast to drive.
Totally agreed, the 2.5 really got a nice punch to it in the low end. It would feel fantastic with a 91 octane tune.

2015 Mazda 6 GS-L Touring - Liquid Silver Metallic - Auto
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page