EPA Numbers Revealed for CX5 Diesel - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-09-2018, 10:45 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Garage
EPA Numbers Revealed for CX5 Diesel

The EPA has recently revealed their fuel economy estimates for the CX5 equipped with the long-awaited Sky-Activ D diesel. Unfortunately, the numbers aren't very impressive.

Diesel Estimates (FWD) 28 city/31 highway

N/A Gas Estimates (FWD) 25 city/31 highway

By those figures, there's a modest 12% gain in city economy but absolutely no gain in highway economy. This could be part of the reason that Mazda has been slow to introduce the configuration to the US.

Read more about it here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-09-2018, 11:45 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Garage
I think part of the problem (if you want to call it that) is the Sky Active Petrol is so efficient there's just not much advantage to having a diesel instead.

Other issue with a diesel here in the States in general is they're really not that popular. Diesel gas isn't always readily available in certain areas and it's generally as much or more than regular gasoline.

I'll be surprised if they really help add much to their sales #'s. I know it's not something I'm interested in.

2018 Signature
White Pearl - Chestnut
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 01:08 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Groaned at 3 Times in 1 Post
Kind of dissapointing, considering diesels usually shine on the highway and aren't supposed to be more efficient in the city. But considering the sheer amount of torque the oil-burner makes, that would still be my choice - just not in the CX-5. 31MPG is extremely unimpressive for 185HP. My 528i, which has 240HP/221ft/lb of torque, weighs anywhere from 500-700lb more than the CX-5, and uses an engine that was new in 2006 gets a solid 32MPG on the highway. The 2015 Mazda 6 on the other hand gets 26/37MPG which is significantly better than the CX-5 despite not weighing much less, making it an excellent candidate for the oil burner.

2015 Mazda 6 GS-L Touring - Liquid Silver Metallic W/ Black Leatherette Interior - Auto

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 08:01 AM
Mazda Guru

Mentioned: 231 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Thanked 1,105 Times in 807 Posts
Groaned at 14 Times in 10 Posts
Garage
Diesels has been famously tested "poorly" by the EPA, then tend to do much better in real-world driving. Ask a former VW diesel owner.

Anyway, I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for the diesel to hit the US market anytime soon, since Mazda hasn't officially released hp and torque specs, and we all remember that they promised a diesel 6 with the 3rd-gen debut 5 years ago...

2018 MAZDA 6 GRAND TOURING RESERVE - Deep Crystal Blue
"The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 12:12 PM

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Groaned at 3 Times in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mz6GreyGhost View Post
Diesels has been famously tested "poorly" by the EPA, then tend to do much better in real-world driving. Ask a former VW diesel owner.

Anyway, I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for the diesel to hit the US market anytime soon, since Mazda hasn't officially released hp and torque specs, and we all remember that they promised a diesel 6 with the 3rd-gen debut 5 years ago...
Mazda spent a long-time trying to figure out a way to make their diesel engine perform well without needing to add that after-blue treatment shit that other diesels use. Looks like they finally figured it out and were ready to release the oil burner to the NA market, but the VW scandal came around and they delayed things again. Plus Diesel was always frowned upon in the NA market even before the VW scandal, so I guess they were hesitant to bring it here. I would expect the power figures to be the same as everywhere else - 175HP and 310ft/lb of torque.

2015 Mazda 6 GS-L Touring - Liquid Silver Metallic W/ Black Leatherette Interior - Auto

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 12:52 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
Not to be downer, but I'd bet money they're not going to bring the diesel here. The added expense for an additional engine line couldn't possibly be profitable for them when there's virtually no demand for it, and virtually no mpg benefit either if the findings are correct.

Manual transmissions, wagons, and heavy metal are awesome. Zoom-Zoom \m/

2004 Mazda 6 Sport Wagon, 3.0L V6, 5MT, Steel Gray Metallic
Mods: Pinstripes removed, rear V6 emblem added

Other Mazdas owned: 2015 Mazda 5 Sport ATX (current), 2010 Mazda 6 ATX (traded), 1997 Protege MTX (sold)
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 01:38 PM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Truth be told, it would be far less costly and much more profitable if they just used the regular gasoline turbo motor from the CX-9/Mazda 6 since it gets the same amount of torque with more hp with just a small hit to the city fuel economy. And since it can be mated to AWD in the CX-9, they could offer both fwd and awd for the CX-5 for minimal cost.

Last edited by Dougspeed; 08-10-2018 at 01:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page