Mazda 6 Forums banner

2014 Mazda3 Official Specs and Info

50K views 147 replies 28 participants last post by  Gavintech 
#1 ·

Like a Broadway premiere the 2014 Mazda3 will take a bow in New York City today. Mazda’s best-selling compact car has received a bumper-to-bumper redesign along with some significant improvements. The company’s latest C-Segment offering brings a healthy dose of style, performance and technology to an extremely competitive slice of the market.

It’s always tricky for an automaker to update a successful product. How do you improve a vehicle without destroying its essence and alienating customers? Very carefully, that’s how.

Globally this car is the Zoom-Zoom brand’s best-selling vehicle. More than 3.5 million of them have been sold in more than 120 countries around the world. Calling the 3 Mazda’s most significant product is something of an understatement. It accounts for 30 percent of the Japanese automaker’s annual sales. Like Ron Burgundy in the movie Anchorman, it’s kind of a big deal.

The first thing anyone will notice about the 2014 Mazda3 is its striking new body. It’s the latest product to wear the company’s so-called KODO design language, which means “soul of motion” in Japanese, but we’ll have to take Mazda’s word for it; we can’t keep our katakana from our hiragana, and don’t even talk to us about kanji.

As expected from a clean-sheet redesign the latest 3 shares almost nothing with its predecessor… aside from a name, of course. The car’s wheelbase has been stretched by almost two-and-a-half inches making for a grand total of 106.3; it’s also 1.6 inches wider, but the car’s overall length has actually gone down by nearly two inches.

2014-mazda3-interior.jpg

This is the latest vehicle in Mazda’s lineup to take advantage of its SKYACTIV technologies, which are designed to save fuel while preserving the brand’s famously entertaining on-road dynamics. Available as either a traditional sedan or a five-door hatchback, the 3’s body is 30 percent more rigid than its predecessor’s, but surprisingly that stiffness does NOT come with a weight penalty; the car is actually lighter, though the company has not said by how much.

North American customers will have two engines to choose from and the both run on highly refined liquid dinosaurs. The base powerplant is a 2.0-liter SKYACTIV-G (that’s “G” for gasoline) four-cylinder that delivers 155 horsepower with 150 lb-ft of torque. It features an elegant four-into-two-into-one exhaust manifold that really helps improve output as well as efficiency.
AVAILABLE 2.5L SKYACTIV

The up-market engine is a 2.5-liter SKYACTIV unit that delivers a bigger kick in the rump, 184 horses with 185 units of twist. Of course customers in other markets around the world have a much wider array of powertrain options ranging from a 1.5-liter unit to a 2.2-liter SKYACTIV-D clean diesel. Japanese buyers can even get a hybrid version of the car.

Speaking of electricity, the company will also offer fuel-saving regenerative braking courtesy of its curiously names i-ELOOP system; that’s short for “Intelligent Energy Loop.” Mazda representatives claim this is the world’s first capacitor-based version of the technology on the market. In addition to this efficiency-boosting system active grille shutters and slippery bodies help improve fuel economy. Best-in-class aerodynamics are part of the car’s winning formula. The five-door features a .275 coefficient of drag (Cd) while the sedan slithers through the wind with a score of just .255.
Read the complete story on the 2014 Mazda3 at AutoGuide.com

See less See more
#113 ·
One thing that worries me is that the 2.5L engine will be available only in the Mazda 3s Grand Touring, which is the top trim, just like in the case with the current generation Mazda3. The GT cars are loaded with features but they're a lot more expensive, but those options cost of course. According to C&D "Pricing is expected to mirror today’s, which starts at $17,495 and rises to $26,445 for a top-spec 3s hatchback". I assume $26,445 is the MSRP of the Mazda 3s GT Hatch with 2.5L engine in Skyactiv transmission. It's certainly nice to have higher grade materials, bigger wheels and brakes, and modern tech in the car, such as the nice navi screen and possibly surround sound system, but this MSRP suddenly makes me wonder if one could be better off buying a less optioned out VW Jetta GLI, VW GTI, or a Ford Focus ST, trading options for more power. I assume the model with the manual transmission may cost a bit less, the current Mazda 3s GT MSRP is $800 less with the MT.

#125 ·
They know how to get money out of me. I will not buy a car without a moonroof.

Also, it isn't all you "really" get. Just like when I bought my 6 the extras were worth it TO ME to step up to the top trim line. That being said if a moonroof was an option on the Touring trim I'd strongly consider it.

#122 ·
Getting the S touring here as well. Its got everything I want and nothing I don't. Perfect package now to decide on the exterior colors the blues look nice but then so does the silver. What do you guys think of that new "Titanium Flash" color? It kinda reminds me of a color BMW offers on the X1 Cashmere something lol

#126 · (Edited)
I'll be aiming for the 3 s Touring myself, except I might go for the Dark Crystal Blue. Right now, I still have to try out Kia's Forte SX 5 door with the 1.6T from the Veloster Turbo, which should be at dealers in about a couple week's time. Hard to believe the new 3 is only 230 lbs lighter than the 6 after all the news that it'd weight sub-3k lbs.

#130 · (Edited)
the s touring sounds like the perfect package. even though it cost more or less the same as my 6 touring, the list of features make up for it. Now if they made a S sport model around 20K bare with the 2.5. we have a winner right there.

MAZDA said:
Starting at $24,595 MSRP, the Mazda3 s Touring sedan is equipped not only with the robust SKYACTIV-G 2.5-liter engine but boasts 18-inch aluminum alloy wheels, bi-xenon headlights with manual leveling, a piano black-finish front grille, halogen fog lights, LED combination taillights, LED daytime running lights, the all-new Active Driving Display, steering wheel-mounted paddle shifters, a six-way power-adjustable driver's seat with manual lumbar adjustment, leatherette seats and door panel inserts, and variable heated front seats in addition to the features available on the i Touring with Technology Package. The five-door model starts at $25,095 MSRP.

#131 ·
Yeah, so I was right about steep pricing of the 2.5L models. The s Touring stickers at about the same price as Honda Civic SI with Navigaton. Granted, the 6MT models probably will be cheaper. 25 grand isn't a bad price for a nicely equipped compact car, but it just feels odd that 3s Touring is about the same MSRP as Mazda6 Touring.

#132 ·
If I am not mistaken, it looks like the s Touring comes with the $1600 i Touring technology package included as well as the Active Driving Display. The s Touring also seems to have bigger rims, bigger brakes , and wider tires compared to the i Touring model. By all means, the s Touring seems very well equipped. Only leather seats are missing.

#133 ·
The 3 s touring and GT are pretty steep especially when one considers that a bunch of cars in that price range have 200+hp and/or better performance. The 3's trump card is that its got the fuel efficiency and probably also better cabin materials. But with the Civic Si, GTI, Mini Cooper S and Focus ST all priced in that range and then you've got the Veloster Turbo, the upcoming Forte SX 5 door and (c)koup, and the 500 Abarth on the other side, its a bit tough to swallow the price for the "s" trims let alone the presence of the 6 and a couple other midsize cars.

#138 · (Edited)
The 3 s touring and GT are pretty steep especially when one considers that a bunch of cars in that price range have 200+hp and/or better performance. The 3's trump card is that its got the fuel efficiency and probably also better cabin materials. But with the Civic Si, GTI, Mini Cooper S and Focus ST all priced in that range and then you've got the Veloster Turbo, the upcoming Forte SX 5 door and (c)koup, and the 500 Abarth on the other side, its a bit tough to swallow the price for the "s" trims let alone the presence of the 6 and a couple other midsize cars.
I too would respectfully disagree. Yes the auto enthusiasiast such as yourself and myself will look at HP and performance but the majority shoppers will look for comfort, "sporty" feeling drive, features, and room.

6 out of those cars you listed are 2 door vehicles...how on earth you compared a 2 door car to a 4 door hatchback made to look sporty but really be fuel efficient is beyond me.

I dare say that the majority population out there will determine this car based on the looks and MPG. Once they view those things compared to the rest of the other cars out there that are either 4 door sedan/hatchback that is in the compact car range than you see that the features for price isn't "so" bad.

Only thing that leaves a sour taste in my mouth is the fact that the 3 and 6 are almost the same price both for the Touring model. But given that the looks and features aren't the same I guess you could make exceptions there.

#134 ·
The writing is on the wall. The new 2014 Mazda6 and Mazda3 need an engine option with more power, but it probably wont be coming for a while---- till the Mexico plant is up and running and the cash flow is better. Mazda needs the lower cost production facility, to help offset Japans higher costs. Oldvet

#135 ·
Agreed.

The 2.5 is good as a base engine for the 6 but for the uplevel engine on the 3 it needs to be at least in the same ball park horsepower wise as the Civic Si, GTI and the Koreans. It doesn't need to have over 230hp cause thats MS3 territory. What they could've done at least is tune the 2.5s destined to go under the hood of 3 "s" models to produce 20hp more to justify stepping up to the 2.5

#137 ·
The problem I've got really is the price of the 2.5 3 s cause I can see people cross shopping it with other cars in that price range and it just so happens that they priced right smack where the GLI/GTI, Focus ST, Cooper S, and the Veloster Turbo/ Forte 5 door 1.6T. Plus its not as light as they claim it to be, since its only 200 some odd lbs lighter than the 6

VW's and Mini's reliability record is questionable though, I'd take the Koreans before I even go to a German car brand.

#142 ·
IMHO, Mazda's 2.5L engine is a tune away from giving you 200-210HP simply by increasing the compression ratio and switching to premium fuel. Same trick is used by Honda in the 2.4L engine that's installed in Civic SI, Acura ILX, and TSX. An expert tuner could easily do it for you for a few hundred bucks. I suppose, given the popularity of Mazdas, a pre-packaged drop-in tuning chip solution may become available eventually. Mazda did not include this tune because in this age of $4 a gallon regular fuel, most people just want to run on regular and save a little at the pump.

#147 ·
The 2014 Mazda3 configurator is up and running on Mazda's web site. The only thing that interested me is to see how much is the MSRP of Mazda3 Touring S. At 25K, the MSRP is too steep. I understand that this is nicely equipped car, but I don't see how one could pay this much for a compact mazda with a fairly average mid-pack naturally aspirated engine. I might talk to a salesman to see if they will have any specials down the road, but if they don't give any rebates, I don't see how I could buy this instead of say a base VW Jetta GLI (MSRP under that I believe) a car with sport suspension and 210HP Turbo 2.0L engine.

#148 ·
Depending on the model the GLI costs more to buy up front. On top of that it'll most likely cost much more to own as the gas mileage is a world apart and the cost to own a VW/Audi is just high in general as they tend to not be all that reliable and cost a ton to repair.

The GLI is on my list too, I like it a lot, but when I look at them side by side it is the VW that costs too much. I don't let the fact that you can get a Mazda6 i, that looks pretty much exactly the same, for $6,000 less sway me. You can get a Jetta S for almost $10,000 less than a decently equipped GLI too.

I LOVE German cars! I would love to have a Jetta GLI or a GTI! Compare the 3 to the Golf/GTI lineup. Looking at what you get with a Mazda3 Touring you're going to have to pay a lot more for a similar GTI. I realize the GTI has a little more HP/torque but it is also heavier and gets significantly worse gas mileage. Not having driven the 3 yet I can't say for sure but I imagine they are equally fun to drive.

What you have is a German'ish car made by a Japanese company that performs very well but it slightly biased towards MPG instead of power. I can't say for sure I'm getting one when they come out, I may not once I have been in and driven one, but they are making exactly what people like me have been asking for. Another 15 hp would have been great too but it is what it is for now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.