Blasphemy? Kia Stinger / Genesis G70 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 12:04 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
Blasphemy? Kia Stinger / Genesis G70

What do the Mazda denizens think of the Kia Stinger / Genesis G70 as an upgrade/replacement for the 2016 Mazda6?

Only have 30K on my Mazda6, but beginning to start to think about what might come next. Wouldn't be for a while, I don't think. I'd get the V6 twin turbo AWD, I think. Want the power, and probably need AWD as my sole car in Colorado.

Let the discussions begin!

-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 12:31 AM

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Groans: 2
Garage
Uh figure out a way to lose or hide the Kia insignia.

All kidding aside, there is a cachet question. Mebe you could debadge. Having said that, I 'kinda like the look of the Hyundai insignia. Kia, NO.

Re the Korean cars, they certainly have the quality... you cannot fault them for that.

Now it may not be an apt comparison... but the other day I drove my Son-In-Law's 2010 Hyundai Tuscon. It was the last of the port-injected cars, 2.4 litres. I would never own that vehicle. Doors sound like they need a patch of asphaltic damping in the middle of 'em... drum pretty badly. That is fixable. What is NOT fixable, on that vehicle, was the electronic throttle calibration. On/off throttle was bad. Just toe'ing the throttle made it surge. If there is one thing I demand... it is proper throttle calibration.

Also, some of the time, my S.I.L. says, when he starts the vehicle... it will not turn left... until he first turns right, or moves the steering wheel towards the right... then it can go left. Weird.

And then, my other S.I.L. has a 2010 Hyundai Elantra. Two things wrong with that car, to my way of thinking. i) it rushes to get into 4th gear of its 4 speed A/T... and then it bogs. It sounds like it's bogging, too. It leads me to want to drive it with 3rd gear selected... i.e. preventing it from going into 4th at city speeds. ii) Lastly, the steering on that car feels like that of a game console. Totally synthetic. The worst of electrically assisted steering. Unconscionable for me.

Sorry to rant. These cars are 8 or 9 years old. Mebe the Kia or Hyundai lines have really, really pulled up their socks when it comes to the vehicle control interfaces. But those two cars, to me, show that at THAT TIME, the Koreans had not yet made it. And in that circumstance, I would NOT care what the value quotient was. It HAS TO tick off some of those kind of boxes for me to even consider the car.

Cdn17Sport6MT
Vancouver, BC Canada

Last edited by Cdn17Sport6MT; 04-16-2019 at 12:38 AM.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 12:50 AM
GWL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
A good reason to not consider purchasing a Kia/Hyundai product.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...dai-kia-fires/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 09:18 AM
Shiro Shinobi

Mentioned: 778 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2872 Post(s)
Thanked 4,058 Times in 2,850 Posts
Groaned at 16 Times in 16 Posts
Garage
1) I have heard enough horror stories from those Kia/Hyundai that I won't go near them.

2) Even if I did go near them, I'd never pay over 30k for one because, at that point, you've entered a world of better possibilities.

Current:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Sold:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, 3rd Generation

A gov't big enough to give you anything you want is big enough to take all you have.
"Camry: For Drivers Without a Soul." - Mz6GreyGhost
For your 'will these tires fit' needs:

Need a Part Number? Find it

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 01:02 PM
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to zrxsteve62 Send a message via Skype™ to zrxsteve62
I considered both of them, but they were out of my budget. Fantastic cars with great performance / bang for the buck. If I were spending that much money, I'd take either in a heartbeat. Youtube tester Savagegeese prefers the Hyundai over the Stinger for better refinement. StraightPipes testers Yuri and Jacob have a great youtube testing the Stinger doing drifting in a Las Vegas parking lot. Really impressive performance for a large car. They loved it. I love the hatchback on the Stinger, it provides near sport utility cargo capabilities (like Audi Sportback and Buick GS). Hyundai has HTRAC All wheel drive which is supposed to be really, really good. 720 watt 15 speaker Harman Sound System. Eight Speed Automatic. Huge Entertainment display, Heads up display. Great brakes. 2019 Motor Trend Car of the Year..., ..., ...

On the downside, the lower models (Stinger) are supposed to be very softly sprung for all the performance the car brings. The GT1 and GT2 have electronically controlled suspension.

2017 Snowflake White Mazda 6 Grand Touring GT Premium Package.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 02:06 PM
Mazda Guru

Mentioned: 251 Post(s)
Quoted: 831 Post(s)
Thanked 1,163 Times in 850 Posts
Groaned at 6 Times in 3 Posts
Garage
If the $$$ was there, I'd put the G70 up at the top of the list. I haven't driven one yet (and with the nearest Genesis dealer in Ithaca, 30 miles away, I've seen only one on the roads), but from all I've seen and heard, it's as fun-to-drive and soulful as the E46 was. Since the 3-series has since lost it's way, and the Japanese makes have never (and still can't) come close, I'm kinda anxious to take a G70 out for myself and see if the hype is real or not.

As for the Stinger, it's also a solid choice. It's sized more between the BMW 3- and 5-series, but the 5-door body style is IMO brilliant. I think it has a hard time simply because it's sold in the same showroom as this is:

2018 MAZDA 6 GRAND TOURING RESERVE - Deep Crystal Blue
"The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 02:51 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 12 Times in 4 Posts
The G70 is too small for my needs, and some of the interior design is "old" to my eyes. The manual is also a mediocre "money grab" play at the hearts of car guys who yearn for a stick. Every review I've read pretty much confirms the 6 speed's lame implementation.

OTOH I test drove Stinger several times (including a driving event near me where you first drive with a professional followed by taking the wheel). I like the Stinger a lot and had a similar reaction to Savagegeese review. Next to the 6 sig, its a very good looking car. However, between cost and some very cheap materials and creaks/rattles, I decided to go with the 6. Sure while RWD and hatch are VERY compelling, I dont really find the FWD 6 much of a compromise, dynamically or practically in the real world.

Is the V6 nice-well yes, but the 2.5 turbo 4 in the Sig trim is very nice for the money. I also trust Mazda engineering more than Hyundai. I'll continue to be of the opinion, that despite the obvious resource constraints, that a small, tight, engineering-minded company like Mazda is preferable to a larger everything to everyone company like Hyundai, Honda and Toyota. Despite relatively unlimited resources, giant companies have a hard time with scaling processes that contribute to consistently good, well-architected, products

IMO knock on wood but I think Mazda's size, engineering prowess and focus make it better. Said another way, Mazda on its own (without the unbrella of Ford) can't afford to make engineering mistakes that cause major defects resulting in e.g. vehicle fires given the PR and scale would bankrupt them both in brand and business. IMO.

So when I see new tech from Mazda like Skyactiv-X I believe chances are, beyond a few bugs, they will get it right. IMO.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

2018 Machine Gray Mazda6 Signature
2010 Mazda CX-9 GT Dolphin w/Nav

Last edited by ocramida; 04-16-2019 at 03:06 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to ocramida For This Useful Post:
oobeet (04-18-2019)
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 03:07 PM

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Garage
Well-put, well thought out comments.

Cdn17Sport6MT
Vancouver, BC Canada
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Yes - thanks for interesting comments and discussion!

-
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 06:49 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Vipre77 Send a message via Yahoo to Vipre77
Had a buddy with a Hyundai Tiburon and the transmission blew up. Supposedly it was a known problem but they refused warranty coverage to repair it even though the car was still within the warranty period for time and mileage. So much for Hyundai's "best warranty in the business." Since then, I've refused to even give them the time of day.

I've only driven one Kia. A Soul I rented from Enterprise while my G8 was in the body shop getting some work done after a guy at Best Buy backed into it. This was a few years ago and I'm sure it was a base model car, but it was thoroughly unimpressive in just about every way. Hated the styling. Hated all of the materials inside the cabin. Totally gutless and numb feeling in the brakes and steering. Basically, wasn't a great first impression from. I have seen some Stingers around town and it certainly is a completely different animal and looks nice inside and out. A world of difference from that crappy Soul, but you'd expect that at more than twice the price. Still... Not sure I'd spend that kind of money on a Kia, regardless how well the car has been received. They just don't have a great reputation for quality or reliability around these parts. I'd be kinda leary how it would hold up to Colorado winters. If it's just a fair-weather only car, that might be a different story, but that doesn't sound like the case for you.

His: 2018 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, Machine Grey
Hers: 2016 CX-5 Sport FWD, Reflex Blue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page