Another MTX Bites the Dust - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 03:11 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Groans: 6
Groaned at 10 Times in 10 Posts
Garage
Another MTX Bites the Dust

For those that will only buy a car with a Manual there will be no reason to look at a 2019+ BMW 3 series.

The Manual is no longer an option. Auto trans only. Without quoting exactly, one of the reasons is the ATX shifts faster and more efficiently than the MTX.

One by one... days are numbered folks.

2018 Signature - White Pearl - Chestnut
Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 08:59 AM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Groans: 19
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Garage
Try to remember that modern automatics are far more capable of sport driving too. WHen I was a younger man, I was die hard manual only. For cars like my 1st gen V6 you simply have to have a manual as the automatics are dramatically slower. But for cars like the 3 series, V8 sports cars and so forth, the modern automatic is just a better all around transmission.

2004 Mazda 6s 3.0 5dr. 5spd never ending money vacuum project:
CP-E headers w/catted mid + Magnaflow carback/AEM CAI/3.7L TB/Speed6 springs/RX-8 wheels
AWR 70D Enginemount/CP-E Dogbone/Custom urethane stock trans mount
Ralco shortshifter/Bose w/Auxmod/sharkfin antenna/lots of little things...
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 10:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
Try to remember that modern automatics are far more capable of sport driving too. WHen I was a younger man, I was die hard manual only. For cars like my 1st gen V6 you simply have to have a manual as the automatics are dramatically slower. But for cars like the 3 series, V8 sports cars and so forth, the modern automatic is just a better all around transmission.
My weekend/summer car is a Mustang V-8 with manual (20+ years now), so I come from a place of experience. Sorry, NOT "better" in terms of fun and for me - connects me to the car like no "better shifting" automatic can. I'll continue to buy and seek out manuals, so if BMW gets rid of them, I wouldn't even consider to buy. Same with Mazda - hope they're listening.

2017.5 Mazda6 Touring 6sp. manual Deep Crystal Blue, Fog Lights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 12:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Groans: 2
The BMW M3 & M4 "Pure" model likely will be 6MT RWD... MY 2020...

More fun + more long-lived, yes. Anachronistic, off-the-ark technology, yes. Inferior, stoplight-to-stoplight, yes. Still worth buying, yes. Sorry, perverse love affair. Look at my Username hehe.

Cdn17Sport6MT
Vancouver, BC Canada

Last edited by Cdn17Sport6MT; 01-19-2019 at 12:48 PM.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 02:18 PM

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Groans: 4
Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts
I've yet to have to actually REPLACE a MTX in any vehicle. Nor has anyone I know of, OTHER THAN through ridiculous abuse (e.g. running it dry while leaking, thus no oil, putting GL5 in it which is a huge no-no and eats the synchros, speed-shifting and bending or breaking shift forks, etc.)

Now clutches are wear items, but that's subjective too. I own a TDI Jetta (well, my kid does now) with 250,000 miles on the STOCK clutch. It's "enhanced" somewhat on power too, and the factory clutch is known to be limited in torque-holding capacity. Yet.... it hasn't burnt up yet and the gearbox itself is just fine. The output seals are weeping a bit so WHEN the clutch eventually fails I'll change those when I have the gearbox out and it's easy (they're cheap too.) Go figure.

Many if not most ATX vehicles will make the FIRST 100,000 miles. Not very many make the SECOND 100,000, and WHEN they fail they cost a heck of a lot more than a clutch does to replace or rebuild. Modern ATXs are in many if not most cases effectively non-repairable except by a factory depot and thus there is no "repair"; they're essentially trash when they fail and if out of warranty expensive enough that they can economically total the vehicle.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Groans: 6
Groaned at 10 Times in 10 Posts
Garage
While I'm not going to comment which is better, which is easier, cheaper to repair, maintain, the bottom line is they are being phased out.

I will say the modern ATX goes much further than 100K unless abused obviously. Our fleet Ford ATX's which IMO are probably not the best (ATX's) of the bunch routinely go 250K+ miles before being replaced. About 40% make it the full 350K miles which is the point of when we replace the entire vehicle.

These are no longer your grandad's ATX's.

I will say.. I find it incredibly short sided that a person would only buy a vehicle that has a MTX but hey, it's your choice, at least for now.

2018 Signature - White Pearl - Chestnut
Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 03:28 PM

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
I've always considered it a matter of engagement with the vehicle. Yes, I've driven modern automatics (BMW, for one), and while they're just dandy for what they do, I still prefer that engagement.

Old guy out...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 03:48 PM
Mazda Guru

Mentioned: 240 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Thanked 1,146 Times in 836 Posts
Groans: 0
Groaned at 12 Times in 8 Posts
Garage
This is turning into the age-old Ford vs. Chevy battle. Everyone has their favorite, but there's no real winner.

But, if ATXs are getting better and better, while fewer and fewer drivers actually know how to drive MTX (let alone want to everyday), you can't fault automakers for making a business decision.

Yes, I love driving a manual. Always have, always will. But, I'm also perfectly driving an ATX also. It doesn't make me less of a driving enthusiast, or anything else for that matter.

Pretty soon, it won't make a damn difference, since we'll soon be stuck in electric econoboxes that think they can drive better than a human can...

2018 MAZDA 6 GRAND TOURING RESERVE - Deep Crystal Blue
"The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 04:44 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Groans: 2
Garage
What's the point of posts like this? Us manual guys (and anyone who's ever driven a car, really) know full well our options are diminishing, so it really just appears you're trying to gloat or something. It's a niche market and there's always room for niche markets to thrive.

"But automatics shift faster" is such a pointless argument unless you use the car in question for professional racing. Manual transmissions make driving more fun (and safer, honestly), period. If you can't understand that, enjoy your slushbox and we'll enjoy actually driving our cars.

Manual transmissions, wagons, and heavy metal are awesome. Zoom-Zoom \m/

2004 Mazda 6s Wagon - 3.0L V6 | 5MT | Steel Gray Metallic |

Mods: NGK Iridium IX plugs | Matte black painted OEM wheels | Painted calipers (red) | Light black "smoked" headlights | R1 Concepts eLine rear rotors and pads | Rear V6 emblem added
Other Mazdas owned: 2015 Mazda 5 Sport ATX (current), 2010 Mazda 6 ATX (traded), 1997 Protege MTX (sold)
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 04:45 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Honda is still promoting manual. Honda is Teaching the Next Generation How to Drive Stick - The Drive

My ex liked driving my foxbody with a t5 so we went and got her a Civic SI which only comes with a six speed. I drove it home and she learned from there.

BMW's are gay. Most of their sporty customers moved onto Audi anyways. Car maker that brags about driver experience killing stick is just pounding nails in their coffin. My best friend had an M3 with the SMG trans which is an actual computer shifted/clutched manual. That has a shifter and no clutch pedal. On the street that car was as fast as an 04 z06, but I thought it was just kind of queer to not have the third pedal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page