Another MTX Bites the Dust - Page 2 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
idrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: St George Utah
Posts: 532
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Thanks: 61
Thanked 50 Times in 46 Posts
Groans: 6
Groaned at 10 Times in 10 Posts
Garage
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by MazdaMetalhead View Post
What's the point of posts like this? Us manual guys (and anyone who's ever driven a car, really) know full well our options are diminishing, so it really just appears you're trying to gloat or something. It's a niche market and there's always room for niche markets to thrive.

"But automatics shift faster" is such a pointless argument unless you use the car in question for professional racing. Manual transmissions make driving more fun (and safer, honestly), period. If you can't understand that, enjoy your slushbox and we'll enjoy actually driving our cars.
After your butt hurt response I guess the point of the post is to enjoy a good laugh.

I'm sorry you can't deal with the reality that the MTX is disappearing.

Guess I better keep my S2000 with the MTX so I can keep my man card.

2018 Signature - White Pearl - Chestnut
Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
idrive is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 12:06 AM
Registered User
 
MazdaMetalhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 373
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Thanks: 5
Thanked 22 Times in 22 Posts
Groans: 2
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by idrive View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MazdaMetalhead View Post
What's the point of posts like this? Us manual guys (and anyone who's ever driven a car, really) know full well our options are diminishing, so it really just appears you're trying to gloat or something. It's a niche market and there's always room for niche markets to thrive.

"But automatics shift faster" is such a pointless argument unless you use the car in question for professional racing. Manual transmissions make driving more fun (and safer, honestly), period. If you can't understand that, enjoy your slushbox and we'll enjoy actually driving our cars.
After your butt hurt response I guess the point of the post is to enjoy a good laugh.

I'm sorry you can't deal with the reality that the MTX is disappearing.

Guess I better keep my S2000 with the MTX so I can keep my man card.
No butthurt on my end at all, honest. The admission that you get a laugh out of intentionally trying to upset people who have the same interest you supposedly have says more about you than anyone else. Not sure what you're on about with the man card statement, but again, that says more about you than others.

Manual transmissions, wagons, and heavy metal are awesome. Zoom-Zoom \m/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 Mazda 6s Wagon - 3.0L V6 | 5MT | Steel Gray Metallic |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mods: NGK Iridium IX plugs | Matte black painted OEM wheels | Painted calipers (red) | Light black "smoked" headlights | R1 Concepts eLine rear rotors and pads | Rear V6 emblem added
Other Mazdas owned: 2015 Mazda 5 Sport ATX (current), 2010 Mazda 6 ATX (traded), 1997 Protege MTX (sold)
MazdaMetalhead is offline  
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 01:42 AM
Learners License
 
Brightshen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
iTrader: 0 reviews
There's nothing like a manual in a place where you can really drive, but in city traffic, I find it close to torture. My first car happened to be a manual. I drove it until I had enough money to buy a car I chose and I vowed, never again would I drive one daily, especially since my city is very hilly as well as crazy with stop and go traffic. These days most of us spend the majority of our driving time in the city and just don't want to deal with shifting. I've often wanted to pretend I'm anywhere else but in the car and don't want to deal with a stick while stuck on a hill in traffic.

Most of my friends don't even know how to drive a manual. Car makers are naturally responding to this. I wouldn't buy one again, except maybe as a second car or if I move way out and don't have to deal with traffic on any regular basis.
Brightshen is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 08:25 AM
Registered User
 
Mitchapalooza85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 210
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Thanks: 10
Thanked 15 Times in 13 Posts
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickerguy View Post
I've yet to have to actually REPLACE a MTX in any vehicle. Nor has anyone I know of, OTHER THAN through ridiculous abuse (e.g. running it dry while leaking, thus no oil, putting GL5 in it which is a huge no-no and eats the synchros, speed-shifting and bending or breaking shift forks, etc.)

Many if not most ATX vehicles will make the FIRST 100,000 miles. Not very many make the SECOND 100,000, and WHEN they fail they cost a heck of a lot more than a clutch does to replace or rebuild. Modern ATXs are in many if not most cases effectively non-repairable except by a factory depot and thus there is no "repair"; they're essentially trash when they fail and if out of warranty expensive enough that they can economically total the vehicle.
I agree

The problem with better technology in Automatics is the cost of them keep going up & up to the point where they cost as much as the Engine itself which is ridiculous. Also since they're so advanced you can't really get them rebuilt like older transmissions & if they do get rebuilt I read like only 30% of them are actually rebuilt correctly. Remember more Technology in a car = More $$$ to Buy/Repair as well.

2015 Mazda 6 Touring 6 Spd Manual Deep Crystal Blue Metallic- Cork Sport SRI w/Cold Air Box, Racing Beat Exhaust, JBR Short Shift Plate, Full Kicker Audio.
Mitchapalooza85 is offline  
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 10:56 AM
Registered User
 
tickerguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 2,427
Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Thanks: 18
Thanked 507 Times in 386 Posts
Groans: 4
Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts
iTrader: 0 reviews
Yep.

I don't WANT technology in my car. Among other things it's not replaceable or upgradeable, I'm stuck with whatever the manufacturer put in there. If I think it's ok today, I might not tomorrow as tech advances. If I buy new I keep them for a LONG time; there are three in my household right now, all bought new, and only the "6" is less than 10 years old -- with all still on the road, looking decent and running well.

I just replaced my laptop -- the former unit was made in 2011. They finally (Intel Coffee Lake) made a processor that was worth paying money to replace the former laptop in terms of feature set and improvement for the money spent. But if I buy tech in a car in 2011 and six or seven years later there's something worth buying..... I just gave up HALF the holding period and a big chunk of change over what I do today. No thanks.

Automakers would love to turn cars into "transportation as a service".. How's that working out for everyone in other fields? You're paying more and getting less; you have no equity in whatever you use and you're spending more money on a yearly basis. Adobe and Microsoft are just two examples. Are there "more advances" in newer versions? Sure, but do I need them? No. What's wrong with Photoshop CS6 that the newest "cloud" version gives me? Nothing. But Adobe LOVES YOU if you spend $40+/month -- roughly $500/year instead of $500 ONCE, and then not again for three, four, five or TEN years.

Firms that do this crap ought to be run out of business and their executives hung. But nooooo! Boobus Americanus laps this up and then wonders why if they don't have a paycheck for two weeks they're broke.

Well?
tickerguy is offline  
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 06:03 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
idrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: St George Utah
Posts: 532
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Thanks: 61
Thanked 50 Times in 46 Posts
Groans: 6
Groaned at 10 Times in 10 Posts
Garage
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickerguy View Post
Yep.

I don't WANT technology in my car. Among other things it's not replaceable or upgradeable, I'm stuck with whatever the manufacturer put in there. If I think it's ok today, I might not tomorrow as tech advances. If I buy new I keep them for a LONG time; there are three in my household right now, all bought new, and only the "6" is less than 10 years old -- with all still on the road, looking decent and running well.

I just replaced my laptop -- the former unit was made in 2011. They finally (Intel Coffee Lake) made a processor that was worth paying money to replace the former laptop in terms of feature set and improvement for the money spent. But if I buy tech in a car in 2011 and six or seven years later there's something worth buying..... I just gave up HALF the holding period and a big chunk of change over what I do today. No thanks.

Automakers would love to turn cars into "transportation as a service".. How's that working out for everyone in other fields? You're paying more and getting less; you have no equity in whatever you use and you're spending more money on a yearly basis. Adobe and Microsoft are just two examples. Are there "more advances" in newer versions? Sure, but do I need them? No. What's wrong with Photoshop CS6 that the newest "cloud" version gives me? Nothing. But Adobe LOVES YOU if you spend $40+/month -- roughly $500/year instead of $500 ONCE, and then not again for three, four, five or TEN years.

Firms that do this crap ought to be run out of business and their executives hung. But nooooo! Boobus Americanus laps this up and then wonders why if they don't have a paycheck for two weeks they're broke.

Well?
You're buying a car for the service it renders, transportation. You don't buy a car for an investment or to have equity. It's nothing short of a disposable.

Last I checked you're still free to choose what you buy. No one is holding a gun to your head making you buy the latest and greatest anything. If you want it and can afford it you buy it. If not, you don't. Seems pretty simple to me.

2018 Signature - White Pearl - Chestnut
Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
idrive is offline  
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 12:24 PM
Registered User
 
tickerguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 2,427
Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Thanks: 18
Thanked 507 Times in 386 Posts
Groans: 4
Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by idrive View Post
You're buying a car for the service it renders, transportation. You don't buy a car for an investment or to have equity. It's nothing short of a disposable.

Last I checked you're still free to choose what you buy. No one is holding a gun to your head making you buy the latest and greatest anything. If you want it and can afford it you buy it. If not, you don't. Seems pretty simple to me.
Yep. And with the way automakers are going, I may never buy a "new" vehicle again. Ever.

I have bought new vehicles because on-balance, IF YOU KEEP THEM UNTIL THEY'RE BASICALLY "Used Up" they can have a lower cost-per-mile *and* have a higher utility value over their service life. If you trade or sell them anywhere before they're 5th - 10th birthday, not so much. Part of this, however, is that nobody turns a wrench on my cars other than myself. That both contributes to the reliability factor (since I know exactly what was done, when and how) and greatly lowers carrying cost. Those who use the stealer get neither of those benefits.

Automakers hate people like me because I buy infrequently. They'd love to try to make my buying more-frequent. Well, they can try, but they will not succeed. All they will succeed in doing is turning my infrequent "new" buying behavior into never buying new.

I'll likely not live long enough for that to become impractical, but most of you here probably will.... at which point you will lose optionality entirely. I think that's terrible, but heh, it's on you folks since as you noted it's simply a matter of supply and demand.
tickerguy is offline  
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 01:18 PM
GWL
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 232
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Thanks: 8
Thanked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Groans: 1
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickerguy View Post
Yep. And with the way automakers are going, I may never buy a "new" vehicle again. Ever.

I have bought new vehicles because on-balance, IF YOU KEEP THEM UNTIL THEY'RE BASICALLY "Used Up" they can have a lower cost-per-mile *and* have a higher utility value over their service life. If you trade or sell them anywhere before they're 5th - 10th birthday, not so much. Part of this, however, is that nobody turns a wrench on my cars other than myself. That both contributes to the reliability factor (since I know exactly what was done, when and how) and greatly lowers carrying cost. Those who use the stealer get neither of those benefits.

Automakers hate people like me because I buy infrequently. They'd love to try to make my buying more-frequent. Well, they can try, but they will not succeed. All they will succeed in doing is turning my infrequent "new" buying behavior into never buying new.

I'll likely not live long enough for that to become impractical, but most of you here probably will.... at which point you will lose optionality entirely. I think that's terrible, but heh, it's on you folks since as you noted it's simply a matter of supply and demand.

I agree with you. My first Japanese made car purchase and hopefully goes past 8 years, previous 2 American cars (GM & DaimlerChrysler) haven't been able to do that without major spending (over $3000).
GWL is offline  
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
idrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: St George Utah
Posts: 532
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Thanks: 61
Thanked 50 Times in 46 Posts
Groans: 6
Groaned at 10 Times in 10 Posts
Garage
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickerguy View Post
Yep. And with the way automakers are going, I may never buy a "new" vehicle again. Ever.

I have bought new vehicles because on-balance, IF YOU KEEP THEM UNTIL THEY'RE BASICALLY "Used Up" they can have a lower cost-per-mile *and* have a higher utility value over their service life. If you trade or sell them anywhere before they're 5th - 10th birthday, not so much. Part of this, however, is that nobody turns a wrench on my cars other than myself. That both contributes to the reliability factor (since I know exactly what was done, when and how) and greatly lowers carrying cost. Those who use the stealer get neither of those benefits.

Automakers hate people like me because I buy infrequently. They'd love to try to make my buying more-frequent. Well, they can try, but they will not succeed. All they will succeed in doing is turning my infrequent "new" buying behavior into never buying new.

I'll likely not live long enough for that to become impractical, but most of you here probably will.... at which point you will lose optionality entirely. I think that's terrible, but heh, it's on you folks since as you noted it's simply a matter of supply and demand.
Clearly, the manufacturers aren't catering or going to cater to folks like yourself. They're catering to the buyers and there are plenty of them to cater to. I'm one of them. I treat myself to a new DD every two three years and a new truck every new gen.

Looking at how many new vehicles are sold every year, clearly I'm not the only one. Whether someone buys once every year or twenty years there are buyers waiting to buy. It's all about doing what floats your boat. IMO the important thing is to do what makes you happy. The rest of us are (hopefully) doing what makes us happy.

I've found that when we push our views and thoughts on other people we are quickly tuned out. As far as automobiles go, technology marches on. You can embrace it, get on board or be left behind. I don't think it really matters what you or I think about it.

.

2018 Signature - White Pearl - Chestnut
Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by idrive; 02-02-2019 at 01:31 PM.
idrive is offline  
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 11:07 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Vancouver, BC Canada
Posts: 314
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Thanks: 1
Thanked 16 Times in 16 Posts
Groans: 2
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader: 0 reviews
As for me... I prefer "simple, long-lived, basic, and (then usually) excellent value-for-$" hence I have a Sport 6mt. I simply could not abide with buying a car where I did not have access to the factory svce. manual... like BMW, for example. I could not abide with buying a car where each and every (manual) transmission part is not available for purchase - for a full rebuild-by-self or by a Tech... like you cannot do for a BMW. For me familiarity breeds comfort, happy feelings, not contempt. Truly, I have never met a car I couldn't make friends with... LOL, so I keep 'em for a long time.

Cdn17Sport6MT
Vancouver, BC Canada

Last edited by Cdn17Sport6MT; 02-04-2019 at 01:13 PM.
Cdn17Sport6MT is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome