post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Groans: 2
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
My '88 Daytona

I bought my sweet Dodge Daytona back in December for $700. T-tops, 5-speed manual. While not fast, as a lover of the '80s and heavy metal, I couldn't pass it up. I did the matte black vinyl, some bondo, paint touchups, painted the wheels, changed the plugs and wires, and installed the power window switch. I had never worked on a car before and now I can't stop, haha. Any other Mopar fans here?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2018-10-01 Instagram(2).jpg
Views:	53
Size:	266.0 KB
ID:	224236   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2018-10-01 Instagram(1).jpg
Views:	44
Size:	317.8 KB
ID:	224238   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2018-10-01 Instagram.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	224240  
DrFeelGood likes this.

Manual transmissions, wagons, and heavy metal are awesome. Zoom-Zoom \m/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 Mazda 6s Wagon - 3.0L V6 | 5MT | Steel Gray Metallic |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mods: 2015 OEM 17" 6 rims | NGK Iridium IX plugs | Matte black painted OEM wheels (winters) | Red painted calipers | Light black "smoked" headlights | R1 Concepts eLine rear rotors and pads | Rear V6 emblem added
Other Mazdas owned: 2015 Mazda 5 Sport ATX (current), 2010 Mazda 6 ATX (traded), 1997 Protege MTX (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 09:36 PM
Rally Racer

Mentioned: 172 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Garage
Nice. In high school I tooled around in a Dodge Omni GLHS with the turbo controller out of the Shelby Daytona automatic. That sucker would give you 16 lbs of boost for almost 2 seconds as a peak. Never really seen torque steer quite like that but it was crazy fast for the time.

Mozz-D
2004 6s Wagon 3.0, 5-speed ATX
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFeelGood View Post
Nice. In high school I tooled around in a Dodge Omni GLHS with the turbo controller out of the Shelby Daytona automatic. That sucker would give you 16 lbs of boost for almost 2 seconds as a peak. Never really seen torque steer quite like that but it was crazy fast for the time.
Awesome!
I think Omnis are great. My parents bought an 89 (I think?) when I was really young. When we moved back to Maine my dad would let us sit on his lap and drive the Omni on the lake when it was frozen in winter.

Mods: 2015 OEM 17" 6 rims | NGK Iridium IX plugs | Matte black painted OEM wheels (winters) | Red painted calipers | Light black "smoked" headlights | R1 Concepts eLine rear rotors and pads | Rear V6 emblem added
Other Mazdas owned: 2015 Mazda 5 Sport ATX (current), 2010 Mazda 6 ATX (traded), 1997 Protege MTX (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 10:32 PM
Rally Racer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MazdaMetalhead View Post
Awesome!
I think Omnis are great. My parents bought an 89 (I think?) when I was really young. When we moved back to Maine my dad would let us sit on his lap and drive the Omni on the lake when it was frozen in winter.
What a great memory. Driving on a frozen lake would freak me out! I would do it however because the science says it's okay.
MazdaMetalhead likes this.

Mozz-D
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 08:59 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
What a great memory. Driving on a frozen lake would freak me out! I would do it however because the science says it's okay.
I was too young to be afraid of the ice breaking, I just was just thrilled to be "driving." What makes me more nervous is that people will drill big holes in the ice and sit in a heated shack while ice fishing. THAT seems risky.

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 09:17 AM

Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Garage
My first car was a 1963 Valiant wagon. 4th car was a 1964 Valiant coupe. Have a 1966 Valiant coupe in the garage awaiting a restore. Good memories in that generation of A-body.

I always liked the styling of the 80s era Daytona, even if there wasn't much substance behind the looks. Have fun!
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael95350 View Post
My first car was a 1963 Valiant wagon. 4th car was a 1964 Valiant coupe. Have a 1966 Valiant coupe in the garage awaiting a restore. Good memories in that generation of A-body.

I always liked the styling of the 80s era Daytona, even if there wasn't much substance behind the looks. Have fun!
Nice! The Valiants were so dignified looking. So classic.

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Oh yeah, and you probably can't really see the license plate but it reads "JDS-PRST," after legendary heavy metal band Judas Priest.

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 11:40 AM
Rally Racer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael95350 View Post

[insert shock emoji here] Not much substance you say?

The Daytona Shelby Turbo Z (turbo II) was a beast. You had to go to Porsche 944, Nissan 280ZX, RX7 Turbo II, or Camaro Z28 to get performance like that and certainly not for the price. At a 174HP in turbo II trim and up in the 190's HP for the final iteration (Turbo IV). I will say there was a lot to be desired and driving one of these early turbo cars was like trying to tame a rabid Tasmanian Devil when the boost came on but if you didn't torque steer into incoming and end up as a yard sale of Mopar debris it was immensely thrilling.

MazdaMetalhead likes this.

Mozz-D
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
[insert shock emoji here] Not much substance you say?

The Daytona Shelby Turbo Z (turbo II) was a beast. You had to go to Porsche 944, Nissan 280ZX, RX7 Turbo II, or Camaro Z28 to get performance like that and certainly not for the price. At a 174HP in turbo II trim and up in the 190's HP for the final iteration (Turbo IV). I will say there was a lot to be desired and driving one of these early turbo cars was like trying to tame a rabid Tasmanian Devil when the boost came on but if you didn't torque steer into incoming and end up as a yard sale of Mopar debris it was immensely thrilling.

The Shelby Daytonas were 100% badass. If I recall, they were eating the V8s of the era (which were pathetic mostly) for breakfast since they were so light. Sadly, I only have the base 2.5L, which is a reliable engine and was in a TON of Mopar models at the time so parts are easy to order. Strangely, I actually like the look of my Daytona without the plastic body kits the turbos had.

At the end of its life, the Daytona was offered with a V6 option. I would LOVE to hear/drive that, although they're probably pretty rare. And they wouldn't have the popup headlights, which are a big selling point for me, haha.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page