post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
New car for the wife

So the wife is in the market for a new to her car. She's looking at all those mini crossovers now: CX-3, Honda HRV, Toyota C-HR, Kia Soul, Nissan Juke, Subaru Crosstrek, etc.

Primary goal is something that sits a little higher than the 6, isn't quite as big and gets great mpg. She's currently driving an '08 Scion xB 5spd, but wants an automatic now. Performance and driving dynamics aren't as high up on her list as are reliability and comfort. She'll have between a 30-60 minute commute depending on where her job takes her for the day.

Anybody have any experience with this segment? I'm kinda leaning towards the CX-3 just because I'm familiar with Mazda, but I am open to suggestions. I am leaning us away from the Kia since we've already done the boxy car thing, although from what I've read it does pretty well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 04:31 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasrider View Post
So the wife is in the market for a new to her car. She's looking at all those mini crossovers now: CX-3, Honda HRV, Toyota C-HR, Kia Soul, Nissan Juke, Subaru Crosstrek, etc.

Primary goal is something that sits a little higher than the 6, isn't quite as big and gets great mpg. She's currently driving an '08 Scion xB 5spd, but wants an automatic now. Performance and driving dynamics aren't as high up on her list as are reliability and comfort. She'll have between a 30-60 minute commute depending on where her job takes her for the day.

Anybody have any experience with this segment? I'm kinda leaning towards the CX-3 just because I'm familiar with Mazda, but I am open to suggestions. I am leaning us away from the Kia since we've already done the boxy car thing, although from what I've read it does pretty well.
I work for a car dealership group (which unfortunately doesn't include Mazda but does include Hyundai) and I might suggest the all-new Hyundai Kona. It's essentially the same vehicle as all the others you mentioned and it does have a 10-year warranty while also being inexpensive for a new car.

If you need used, you're probably perfectly fine going with any Honda, Toyota or Mazda as far as reliability. Subaru is extremely popular but I'm not a fan due to their slow acceleration, guaranteed rust, and head gasket issues. Nissan is a thumbs-down in my book too.

Of course, take this with a grain of salt. If someone held a gun to my head and said "You HAVE to pick a crossover to buy"--I'd tell them to just pull the trigger

Manual transmissions, wagons, and heavy metal are awesome. Zoom-Zoom \m/
2004 Mazda 6s Wagon - 3.0L V6, 5MT, Steel Gray Metallic
Mods: Pinstripes removed, rear V6 emblem added
Other Mazdas owned: 2015 Mazda 5 Sport ATX (current), 2010 Mazda 6 ATX (traded), 1997 Protege MTX (sold)
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateweb View Post
Of course, take this with a grain of salt. If someone held a gun to my head and said "You HAVE to pick a crossover to buy"--I'd tell them to just pull the trigger

Bwahaahha!! That about sums up my opinion of them too, but it's what the wife wants and honestly they're pretty reasonable for the money.

We're looking for something used in the mid-$15k range or so. Seems like the HRV or CX-3 do pretty well in the magazine comparos.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 06:41 PM

Garage
You didn't mention AWD but I assume that's a requirement?

Other Mazdas owned: 2015 Mazda 5 Sport ATX (current), 2010 Mazda 6 ATX (traded), 1997 Protege MTX (sold)
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 10:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Quote:

I'd personally go with a Toyota Rav 4 or Honda CRV. They're good cars that meet all those requirements.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 09:21 AM
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Garage
I have a friend who is on his 2nd or 3rd RAV4. Loves it, FWIW.

We have a CX-3 AWD that my kids drive, primarily. It's a decent little Mazda, and gets around 30MPG in mixed driving. It handles well in the wet & dry - hasn't seen snow yet. The CX-3 is definitely worth a look.

2017 Grand Touring, Soul Red
OEM Splash Guards
LED Courtesy Lights
LED License Plate Lights
OEM Android Auto/Carplay Retrofit
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 10:02 AM Thread Starter

Garage
AWD isn't a requirement, but I'm sure she wouldn't say no if it was affordable.

Same thing with the the slightly larger vehicles, she wouldn't turn her nose up to an HRV or CX-5 if we could find a decent example in our price range. She really just wants something small and "personal". She also likes slightly funky or unique cars - not something every other soccer mom is driving in the neighborhood. I think that's why she digs the mini-crossover segment.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 10:10 AM

Garage
Quote:
AWD isn't a requirement, but I'm sure she wouldn't say no if it was affordable.

Same thing with the the slightly larger vehicles, she wouldn't turn her nose up to an HRV or CX-5 if we could find a decent example in our price range. She really just wants something small and "personal". She also likes slightly funky or unique cars - not something every other soccer mom is driving in the neighborhood. I think that's why she digs the mini-crossover segment.
Hmm, if AWD isn't a requirement then there's truly no reason to get a crossover over a hatchback, quite honestly. Mini crossovers are literally slightly lifted hatchbacks with matte black plastic cladding around the fenders. If she really wants to be unique she should avoid crossovers (which every soccer mom IS driving around here) and get a hatchback. Or split the difference and get an Impreza 5-door (slightly crossovery hatch with AWD). If it were me, I'd point her towards the Mazda 3 hatch.

OR, and it makes me cringe to suggest this--but you could pay a couple more thousand out of your budget and get a brand new car with a warranty that she'd probably like, the all-new Nissan Kicks: https://www.nissanusa.com/vehicles/c...uvs/kicks.html

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 03:46 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Groans: 6
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Of those listed, the only real negative I can say is "avoid the Nissan (or anything else with a CVT) like the plague".

CX3's have generally been very good for us. They don't seem to have any inherent problems and are almost always here for just routine maintenance. My wife's best friend has had one for 3 years and loves it. Our Finance Manager bought one for each of his two kids.
DrFeelGood likes this.

2004 Mazda6 Sport Wagon
2017 MX5 Grand Touring
2016 CX5 Grand Touring

I work at a Mazda dealer

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 10:05 PM
Rally Racer

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Garage
I second the CVT opinion

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 6s Wagon 3.0, 5-speed ATX, Performance White (A2N)
Modifications:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page