post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Garage
2019 Genesis G70

Car and Driver got their hands on a 2019 Genesis G70 and their first impression was a good one. Only real complaints were a tight rear seat and the typical grumblings regarding turbo 4cyls.

I have to be honest. If it wasn't for the spotty Genesis network, I might halfway be interested. Considering you can get the 2.0T in a 6spd manual, it makes it more tempting. Sincerely hope Mazda is developing a new 6spd manual for the 2.5T.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 12:16 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Garage
Hard to shake the early day Garbage these guys put out out of the head but I'll admit they've come a long way and make a car that could very well be worth considering. Would still like to see how they hold up over the next few years before ever making the plunge although I highly doubt that will ever happen.

For me and according the article, 95% aren't interested in the manual option as they only expect to sell approx. 5% MT's. My rowing days are over, paddles work just fine when the urge to shift manually takes over. As far as Mazda and a manual, personally I don't see it happening. The MT is headed the way of the Dodo bird. With the gradual move to autonomous driving a stick doesn't work.

2018 Signature
White Pearl - Chestnut
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 12:49 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Groans: 5
Groaned at 8 Times in 6 Posts
Agree - manuals are dying in the US, and I think we'll see them phased out in the 4th gen 6.

Mazda's stupid decision to only offer the 6MT on the base stripper model in 2018 will kill off much of the demand that was left, and create a negative feedback loop reaffirming that "customers don't want manuals anymore".

Sounds like your heart's already moved on to other cars, Michael.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 12:54 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by idrive View Post
Hard to shake the early day Garbage these guys put out out of the head but I'll admit they've come a long way and make a car that could very well be worth considering. Would still like to see how they hold up over the next few years before ever making the plunge although I highly doubt that will ever happen.

For me and according the article, 95% aren't interested in the manual option as they only expect to sell approx. 5% MT's. My rowing days are over, paddles work just fine when the urge to shift manually takes over. As far as Mazda and a manual, personally I don't see it happening. The MT is headed the way of the Dodo bird. With the gradual move to autonomous driving a stick doesn't work.
People have been talking about the death of the manual for what, 30+ years now, and it can continue to do just fine as a niche market. Obviously a few people are buying them, or they would be gone now -- if 5% of drivers buy them, the manufacturers can go on making 5% of their lineup manual.

Autonomous driving is going to be adopted much slower than most people think. Contrary to industry hype, the majority of consumers don't actually want anything to do with it (Consumers Don't Really Want Self-Driving Cars, MIT Study Finds | Bostonomix) . Living in rural Maine I can guarantee you it will NEVER work here, due to the conditions of the roads and the guarantee that even a light coating of snow will prevent the lane sensors from working. Public transportation is virtually non-existent and no one up here's going to buy a self-driving car for themselves.

Not trying to argue, just saying that manuals will be around for a LONG time yet and autonomous driving will only catch on in major cities with little to no snowfall, if at all.

Manual transmissions, wagons, and heavy metal are awesome. Zoom-Zoom \m/

2004 Mazda 6 Sport Wagon, 3.0L V6, 5MT, Steel Gray Metallic
Mods: Pinstripes removed, rear V6 emblem added

Other Mazdas owned: 2015 Mazda 5 Sport ATX (current), 2010 Mazda 6 ATX (traded), 1997 Protege MTX (sold)
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 12:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
The 2.0T Genesis are fun cars (My previous car) but I have to admit that their manual transmissions are garbage hands down. I bought mine brand new off the lot & I had Hondas with 100K+ miles that shifted better than it did on it's best day. I upgrade the the bushings, short shifter, ACT clutchkit, Fidenza Aluminum flywheel, steel braided clutch line & Redline tranny fluid. Still winter time you had to fight it into gear until it warmed up. That's my number 1 complaint was that transmission was a daily task to use.

2015 Mazda 6 Touring 6 Spd Manual Deep Crystal Blue Metallic- Cork Sport SRI w/Cold Air Box, Racing Beat Exhaust, JBR Short Shift Plate, Full Kicker Audio.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 12:58 PM

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 12 Times in 4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumVT View Post
Agree - manuals are dying in the US, and I think we'll see them phased out in the 4th gen 6.

Mazda's stupid decision to only offer the 6MT on the base stripper model in 2018 will kill off much of the demand that was left, and create a negative feedback loop reaffirming that "customers don't want manuals anymore".

Fyi, Mazda stated on many occasuins that the gearing of the 6M was not compatible with the Turbo power curve. Anyone who drove the new 6 with turbo can confirm the auto short shifts. IMO, not the best experience for a manual.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

2018 Machine Gray Mazda6 Signature
2010 Mazda CX-9 GT Dolphin w/Nav

Last edited by ocramida; 07-16-2018 at 01:01 PM.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 01:01 PM
Mazda Guru

Mentioned: 231 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Thanked 1,105 Times in 807 Posts
Groaned at 14 Times in 10 Posts
Garage
Overall, I'm impressed. The look is quite derivative, but it's tasteful, like Audi and BMW. The interior also looks nice, and driver-centric, much like the 6. Smart move offering MTX, as well as upgrading the limited-slip, Brembo brakes, and a "sport" exhaust system with the MTX.

I'm not too concerned about the overall quality and longevity of anything from Korea these days. Hyundai had their teething problems, but their quality has improved greatly. I have a few friends that are on their second or third Hyundai and swear by them, including a third Sonata owner, after running well over 150K miles on his two previous Sonatas over the past decade or so.

I'm interested in seeing the pricing, since I'm sure once it get optioned out as much as the GT Reserve and Signature, that pricing will be well over $40K, similar to the Germans.

A few things I caught that interested me...

Quote:
It had been indicated to us earlier that the manual would be a first-year-only offering, but Genesis brand chief Manfred Fitzgerald says that’s now not the case and that it will stay in the lineup as long as there’s sufficient demand for it. Something on the order of 5 percent of overall G70 sales is projected, and Fitzgerald says he “would hope 5 to 10 percent of 2.0-liter customers” will choose the stick.
I agree with this, although they may discover that the MTX take will probably drop off after the first model year. Also, no mention of the MTX with the V6...

Quote:
There is equipment you can’t have with the manual, but it’s mostly of the electronic driver-aid variety, such as adaptive cruise control and automated emergency braking, the sort of semi-autonomous features that might demand declutching to avoid stalling the engine.
You know, I never thought of this fact. And after experiencing the adaptive cruise control and emergency braking on the 6, I can now fully understand why the upper models of the 6 doesn't offer a MTX. There's probably an enormous amount of complexity with those systems alone, but also having to declutch only increases it, and how can they accelerate and slow down quickly and efficiently if the driver leaves the stick in 5th or 6th?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateweb View Post
Not trying to argue, just saying that manuals will be around for a LONG time yet and autonomous driving will only catch on in major cities with little to no snowfall, if at all.
But, if cars are soon required to have adaptive cruise and emergency braking, thanks to the government, you can kiss your MTX goodbye along with it. Nobody thought back-up cameras would ever become required by law, but they have. Same with airbags, and ABS IIRC...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2018 MAZDA 6 GRAND TOURING RESERVE - Deep Crystal Blue
"The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 01:11 PM

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 12 Times in 4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mz6GreyGhost View Post
Overall, I'm impressed. The look is quite derivative, but it's tasteful, like Audi and BMW. The interior also looks nice, and driver-centric, much like the 6. Smart move offering MTX, as well as upgrading the limited-slip, Brembo brakes, and a "sport" exhaust system with the MTX.

I'm not too concerned about the overall quality and longevity of anything from Korea these days. Hyundai had their teething problems, but their quality has improved greatly. I have a few friends that are on their second or third Hyundai and swear by them, including a third Sonata owner, after running well over 150K miles on his two previous Sonatas over the past decade or so.

I'm interested in seeing the pricing, since I'm sure once it get optioned out as much as the GT Reserve and Signature, that pricing will be well over $40K, similar to the Germans.

A few things I caught that interested me...

I agree with this, although they may discover that the MTX take will probably drop off after the first model year. Also, no mention of the MTX with the V6...

You know, I never thought of this fact. And after experiencing the adaptive cruise control and emergency braking on the 6, I can now fully understand why the upper models of the 6 doesn't offer a MTX. There's probably an enormous amount of complexity with those systems alone, but also having to declutch only increases it, and how can they accelerate and slow down quickly and efficiently if the driver leaves the stick in 5th or 6th?
For me its that derivatuve Infiniti/Mercedes/BMW/ Audi design as well as the non-symmetrical layout of the exhaust on the 4 cylinder. Call me superficial but that squared off, single-sided exhaust kills the look for me.

Pricing is probably similar if not more (given the Genesis badge) than the Stinger. I looked at the Stinger very closely when I was considering the 2018 6, and the option packages and interior finishes defintely favor the GT variants. A Premium with 4 cylinder is 40K. I expecta fully loaded stick with all available options will be about 42K. Too expensive IMO when the 6 gives you more for the money. Also I find the 6 to have a more natural, less busy design.

IMO

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

2018 Machine Gray Mazda6 Signature
2010 Mazda CX-9 GT Dolphin w/Nav
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 01:29 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mz6GreyGhost View Post

But, if cars are soon required to have adaptive cruise and emergency braking, thanks to the government, you can kiss your MTX goodbye along with it. Nobody thought back-up cameras would ever become required by law, but they have. Same with airbags, and ABS IIRC...
Maybe, guess we'll just have to see. Requiring additional safety features (airbags, backup cameras, ABS) isn't the same as killing off an entire (and beloved) segment of the automotive industry through regulation. There was never a vocal anti-airbag enthusiast segment of drivers, as far as I can remember

As for one example, the Civic Type R is ONLY available in a manual. Remember too that 80% of Europe and Japan drive manuals, so there's no international pressure to kill it off. Manual transmissions likely will die in the US, but not within the next year or two as the internet would have you believe. My guess is more like 20+.

Manual transmissions, wagons, and heavy metal are awesome. Zoom-Zoom \m/

2004 Mazda 6 Sport Wagon, 3.0L V6, 5MT, Steel Gray Metallic
Mods: Pinstripes removed, rear V6 emblem added

Other Mazdas owned: 2015 Mazda 5 Sport ATX (current), 2010 Mazda 6 ATX (traded), 1997 Protege MTX (sold)
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumVT View Post

Believe me, I'm not trying to move on. But with Mazda joining the chorus of eschewing manuals, it's hard not to. I haven't purchased a car with an AT since 1995. I would prefer to keep that streak going, but it's getting harder and harder to do that. Especially since most people prefer a Starbucks or a smartphone in their hand instead of keeping both hands on their machine. That last sentence is subjective, before I get hung for it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page