post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 02:04 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 12 Times in 4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael95350 View Post
Especially since most people prefer a Starbucks or a smartphone in their hand instead of keeping both hands on their machine. That last sentence is subjective, before I get hung for it
Given that I see this happening in the majority of cars I see during my commute, I would say your observation is more objective.
Then again you left of shaving, combing hair, brushing teeth...

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

2018 Machine Gray Mazda6 Signature
2010 Mazda CX-9 GT Dolphin w/Nav
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 02:30 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
Have you checked out the new 2.0T (or even the 1.5T) Accord with the manual? Mazdas are way better looking but the newest Accord is very roomy and plenty fast.

Manual transmissions, wagons, and heavy metal are awesome. Zoom-Zoom \m/
2004 Mazda 6s Wagon - 3.0L V6, 5MT, Steel Gray Metallic
Mods: Pinstripes removed, rear V6 emblem added
Other Mazdas owned: 2015 Mazda 5 Sport ATX (current), 2010 Mazda 6 ATX (traded), 1997 Protege MTX (sold)
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 02:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Groans: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateweb View Post
Remember too that 80% of Europe and Japan drive manuals, so there's no international pressure to kill it off. Manual transmissions likely will die in the US, but not within the next year or two as the internet would have you believe. My guess is more like 20+.
I'm not sure it is 80% in Japan. I think it is much less there.

Cdn17Sport6MT
Vancouver, BC Canada
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 02:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Groans: 2
I drove both 1.5 and 2.0 T 6MT Accords and felt a bit meh. Have to spin 'em up for power. The Mazda6 2.5T - bottom end torque and immediate availability of "grunt" reputedly - are markedly better i've heard - in day to day use.

Cdn17Sport6MT
Vancouver, BC Canada
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 02:13 AM
Track Racer

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Garage
Quote:
Have you checked out the new 2.0T (or even the 1.5T) Accord with the manual? Mazdas are way better looking but the newest Accord is very roomy and plenty fast.

I agree. I drove pretty much the whole car fleet waiting for recall service to be completed on my van. I thought both the 6/MT and 10/AT were great. I thought that car really got a move on. To be honest I haven't driven the Mazda turbo but that should happen fairly soon.

As far as styling I think the Accord has moved from what I like a bit but it is still pretty sharp.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 6s Wagon 3.0, 5-speed ATX, Performance White (A2N)
Modifications:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 10:01 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Groaned at 4 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
The 1.5T is best reserved for the civic IMO. Plus it has some serious fuel dilution issues causing engine damage which has left a lot of CRV owners complaining. Mazda's engine technology is clearly far better sorted out, as it does not have such issues with it's DI system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdn17Sport6MT View Post
I drove both 1.5 and 2.0 T 6MT Accords and felt a bit meh. Have to spin 'em up for power. The Mazda6 2.5T - bottom end torque and immediate availability of "grunt" reputedly - are markedly better i've heard - in day to day use.
That's the nature of Honda's engine. It's a more linear powerband and will make better power up top. Mazda's 2.5 is better for daily driving. The Accord 2.0T is still faster than the Mazda, for whatever reason.

2015 Mazda 6 GS-L Touring - Liquid Silver Metallic - Auto
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 11:18 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Groaned at 4 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by idrive View Post
Hard to shake the early day Garbage these guys put out out of the head but I'll admit they've come a long way and make a car that could very well be worth considering. Would still like to see how they hold up over the next few years before ever making the plunge although I highly doubt that will ever happen.
Couldn't agree more. They have come a very long way in a very short period of time though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrive View Post
For me and according the article, 95% aren't interested in the manual option as they only expect to sell approx. 5% MT's. My rowing days are over, paddles work just fine when the urge to shift manually takes over. As far as Mazda and a manual, personally I don't see it happening. The MT is headed the way of the Dodo bird. With the gradual move to autonomous driving a stick doesn't work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumVT View Post
Mazda's stupid decision to only offer the 6MT on the base stripper model in 2018 will kill off much of the demand that was left, and create a negative feedback loop reaffirming that "customers don't want manuals anymore"
And what percentage of that 5% do you think want a manual transmission with the upper-level trims? There is obviously a good reason why Mazda, along with other manufacturers do this. BMW has said this before and I highly doubt Mazda would state any differently - If people buy the manuals, we will keep making them. Blame our mindless consumers, not Mazda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocramida View Post
Fyi, Mazda stated on many occasuins that the gearing of the 6M was not compatible with the Turbo power curve. Anyone who drove the new 6 with turbo can confirm the auto short shifts. IMO, not the best experience for a manual.
I agree - this makes sense. The auto transmissions quick shifts is just a better pairing to the power delivery of the 2.5T. Plus, Mazda would need to beef up the manual gearboxes internals to handle all the extra torque, and the turbo engine is only available in the upper trim levels where almost no buyer is interested in rowing their own. Why would Mazda bother if all these variables are against manual transmissions?

2015 Mazda 6 GS-L Touring - Liquid Silver Metallic - Auto
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 12:43 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Garage
Reminds me back 20 years a go when the new Yamaha YZ400 dirt bike came out. Was the 1st four stroke engine in a racing dirt bike. All the others were two stroke.

The dealers sold out their allocations and would get calls wanting one which of course they couldn't supply. Needless to say we (the dealers) threw a fit with Yamaha telling them we could sell a lot more if they would up the supply to which Yamaha replied, 1 person calls 20 different dealers which makes you think that we would sell 20 more when in reality it was only one.

Kind of the same thinking in that the MT folks are more vocal, truly makes it seems there's more demand than there is. I think the car manufacturers know what is in their best interest and their best interest is making money. That's what they're going to supply/make.

2018 Signature - White Pearl - Chestnut
Build Thread:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page