Rental Review: 2017 Toyota Camry LE - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 01:05 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Garage
Rental Review: 2017 Toyota Camry LE

I have always had a negative bias towards Toyota, the Camry in particular. I have considered it an overrated, vanilla car for years and cannot fathom why it would be the best selling midsize car in the United States. Admittedly, I have never driven one before now. Due to the fates, my brief trip to Boise Idaho to see a friend found me behind the wheel of a 2017 Toyota Camry LE for a few days. At least the rate was right (helps to have a co-worker whose wife is a Hertz local manager).

Admittedly, the current gen Camry is the best looking one in several years. The gaping front grille seems subdued in the base model. While the car doesn't scream for attention by looks alone, it is far less vanilla than it has been in the past. The interior was far less impressive to me and on par with my past experiences. It was a sea of hard plastics. Even the areas that looked like they would be softer and more inviting were still hard to the touch. Most of the controls were well laid out, but the cruise control was an odd anomaly. It's been a while since I've seen a dongle type interface for the cruise control. In this instance, it sits on the lower right side of the wheel.

There are two circular pads on the steering wheel. The left side controls radio functions (volume, track selection and mode) while the right side controls the DIS screen on the center of the binnacle. Don't expect much information to come from the DIS. On demand fuel economy is by bar graph, with a numerical read out for cumulative. Strangely, you can also select a digital speedo, in case the analog one isn't clear enough (which it is). Another oddity: The tripometer is a separate function via a more traditional push stalk.

The driver's seat had an 8 position electric function. You can adjust thigh, lumbar, height and back rake. It was surprisingly easy to find good lumbar support. I suppose it's to make up for the flat spot where your rump would sit. No matter how hard I tried, I could not find a comfortable long haul position that didn't make me feel like I was sinking into the seat.

The drivetrain is a mixed bag. The motor was surprisingly responsive and had some good pep. The 6 SPD automatic is another story. It did not like being pushed. Shifts got increasingly hard as the throttle was pushed farther down. The manu-matic function was completely useless when pushing the car hard. The transmission seemed happiest when given light throttle inputs so it could hurry back into ECO mode. Nevertheless, it did return some decent economy numbers. I averaged 26 city/38 highway with a 33MPG average in mixed driving. That included plenty of hills as I traveled north of Boise proper. That may have improved now that 2018 models are equipped with an 8SPD gearbox.

It's a pity that the transmission was stubborn, as I was most surprised by the handling. It was surprisingly agile and seemed limited only by the skinny stock tires it wore (205/65R16). It would be interesting to give it another go with some more aggressive tread.

Perhaps the most disappointing thing about the Camry was its lack of value. There was zero active safety on board the LE model, not even blind side assistance with the mirrors. No remote lock feature either, you had to use the key to start the car, as well as lock/unlock the doors. The stereo system had decent sound, but its compatibility with my Sony Walkman Z mp3 player was finicky at best.

In the end, I was happy to turn in the Camry and fly back home. For those who only want a reliable piece of transportation that they will never try to push hard, the Camry might suffice. If someone wants a no-frills midsize sedan with respectable fuel economy, it is a fair choice. But for those who want a base model car with a decent standard equipment package that is also modern and can exert a little soul, the Camry is an easy pass.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 01:51 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Groans: 4
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
Nice summary. I should write about the rental cars I get when I travel for work. I can repeat what you said about the new Altima I rented last week. Granted it was a base model, but it was totally “meh” and had over done styling. The interior was quiet and comfortable but pretty generic looking.

'18 Machine Gray GT Reserve
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 02:09 PM
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael95350 View Post
Another oddity: The tripometer is a separate function via a more traditional push stalk.
My thoughts exactly, after purchasing a 2016 Mazda. Couldn't figure out how to reset the trip, had to look close and see there is the old school odometer/trip reset stick in the dash.

2016 Mazda6 Touring
2011 Ford F150
1994 Ford Mustang GT
1948 Willys CJ2A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 09:04 PM

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
One thing to consider, though small, is that the car rental agencies contract with the car companies and buy a "fleet" version of the car. That's likely the reason the Camry didn't have remote entry or any other frills. I suspect that they have a special spec that gets built to a bulk price. It's not likely to be major changes in construction, but I bet there are some features that aren't installed or different items left out on the fleet versions that a dealer car would have.

Alex
2004 6s Wagon MTX - grocery hauler
---}
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
{---

MODS: Tinted windows, RX8s with 225/45 R18s,
, and
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page