2018 Honda Accord First Drive - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 07:26 AM Thread Starter
Sponsored Editorial Content

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
2018 Honda Accord First Drive

AccordXClub.com - The Largest 2018+ Honda Accord 10th Generation Forum, Community And Owner's Club

Quote:
The brand-new 2018 Honda Accord will probably be the best midsize sedan around when it goes on sale next month.

If that’s all you wanted to know about this comprehensively overhauled family four-door, you can stop reading right here; the single juiciest detail is right in sentence one.

Describing the new 10th-generation Accord as best-in-class is not something I take lightly since we haven’t had a chance to send it through the wringer in an AutoGuide.com comparison test. But after spending better than half a day driving, poking, and prodding this fresh-faced mid-sizer, hustling over the mountain roads of northern New Hampshire, I was slack-jawed with how well it performed and by the features it’s equipped with.

Read more about the 2018 Honda Accord Review at AutoGuide.com.

Last edited by Administrator; 01-10-2018 at 02:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 10:13 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Car and Driver estimates the base powertrain will yield a 0-60 of 6.6 seconds and 33 mpg combined. Now that's the win-win that the 2018 Camry couldn't achieve with it's 7.9 second run to 60.

This 1.5t / CVT powertrain sure seems to offer outstanding performance AND economy, finally beating the Mazda 6.

Now if the Accord weren't so ugly. I just don't get the point of all the ungainly creases and bulbousness.

2017 Mazda6 Deep Crystal Blue Touring w/ Bose/Moonroof and Premium Packages
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 11:07 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
Yeeesh!! I feel like the 3rd gen 6 styling keeps getting more sexy with age :-)

Current:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Previous: 2010 Mazda 6 i Touring
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 11:18 AM
Learners License

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Being able to see the foam inside the grille seems a little weird to me.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 02:09 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepCrystal17 View Post
This 1.5t / CVT powertrain sure seems to offer outstanding performance AND economy, finally beating the Mazda 6.
This powertrain will give you one or the other, but not both. Drive it easy, you'll get good mileage.
Start pounding it where the engine has to work and the turbo kicks in all the time, and your mileage goes south.
Pick and choose.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 09:57 AM
Mazda Guru

Mentioned: 238 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Thanked 1,139 Times in 829 Posts
Groaned at 12 Times in 8 Posts
Garage
Optional turbo-4 with 252 HP. Nice.

Available 6-speed MTX with EITHER engine. VERY nice!

Sorry Mazda, but it seems Honda cares more about driving enthusiasts. Yeah, they dropped the V6, but at least they had the decency to replace it immediately (rather than drop it altogether and not bother to do anything about it for going on 4 years now...) Having the choice of 3 pedals is simply icing on the cake.

Nicely done, Honda.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2018 MAZDA 6 GRAND TOURING RESERVE - Deep Crystal Blue
"The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzman12 View Post
This powertrain will give you one or the other, but not both. Drive it easy, you'll get good mileage.
Start pounding it where the engine has to work and the turbo kicks in all the time, and your mileage goes south.
Pick and choose.
That was true of most turbo powertrains in the past, particularly Ford's but I get the impression Honda has balanced that tradeoff better than anyone else so far. Most compact car comparison tests I've seen have the Civic with the best fuel economy despite being driven the same way as the competition.

On fuelly.com, 1,000+ 2016-2017 Civics are averaging 34.5 mpg compared to only 30.7 mpg for 2016-2017 Mazda 3's.

Unless all those Civic drivers are babying it, which I highly doubt, Honda's 1.5t / CVT powertrain appears to be delivering outstanding fuel economy (and performance) in average, everyday driving.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepCrystal17 View Post
Car and Driver estimates the base powertrain will yield a 0-60 of 6.6 seconds and 33 mpg combined. Now that's the win-win that the 2018 Camry couldn't achieve with it's 7.9 second run to 60.

Now if the Accord weren't so ugly. I just don't get the point of all the ungainly creases and bulbousness.
Car and Driver may be WAY off on their estimate. Motor Trend's review indicates a 0-60 of 7.6 seconds and they appear to have carefully measured it.

So maybe it's not a win-win but just another tradeoff like the 2018 Camry. Slower than the 6 but more efficient.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 02:06 PM
Learners License

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Accord comments

I like the way the car looks except... what is the white color object behind the grill at the bottom? I don't think it is foam.. surely not foam... what the heck?

... if you watch the video link, they don't care much for the 10sp auto that comes with the 2.0L option but maybe the manual transmission would be a very good choice instead. Without the 2.0L motor I certainly don't want a CVT transmission so it would have to be the six speed manual for me. Still not sure I want a turbo assisted motor though.

Being unsure about a turbo assisted motor and if the Accord is near $36k decked out I will look for something else anyway. If going turbo, maybe the new Kia Stinger GT...?!

Or just stick with the Mazda3 or Mazda6 at much lower cost and sure reliability ???!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page