You seeing this, Mazda? - Page 2 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-11-2016, 01:42 PM

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Groans: 15
Groaned at 16 Times in 16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicNutrition View Post
I hate saying it as well. Same power and price as a Focus RS but in a larger car. More power then the last Fusion sport too, the only other car I considered over my MS6 purchase.
RS has more power than this thing FYI.

325 hp = snooze fest in this big heavy car & starting at $35k? Hard pass.

The only remotely fun car Mazda makes right now is the Miata IMO.

2018 Charger Hellcat
1997 Miata M Edition - Supercharged + lots more. 160 WHP FOR SALE!
2006 MAZDASPEED6 GT #3557 - SOLD!

2007 MAZDASPEED6 GT - SOLD!
The Following User Says Thank You to 2006_MS6 For This Useful Post:
SonicNutrition (01-12-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-11-2016, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedrx7 View Post
I am right there with you, no manual, it isn't even a consideration.
Always get a kick out of this line of thinking.
post #13 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-11-2016, 01:59 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006_MS6 View Post
Always get a kick out of this line of thinking.
And why is that? To me, if you can't row your own gears it's not a sports car. Period. Paddle shifting is just a lazy workaround. Nothing for me will ever replace 3 pedals and a central shifter. Anyone can drive an Automatic. Takes a dedicated person who enjoys driving to the maximum to want a manual. Problem is that in the US people want to be on their smartphones too much and suck down a cheeseburger while driving, so they don't want to be 'inconvenienced' by shifting. Where the rest of the world still sells at least 40% of their cars with manuals, it's less than 6% in the US. That should say something.

I'm very interested to see why you find this line of thinking entertaining
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-11-2016, 02:55 PM
Track Racer

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Garage
I really want to like this car but I can't! I live in metro Detroit and I see 12+ Fusions a day on my drive to/from work. This car is so common that I find it utterly boring. Granted this one has some pep in it's step but it looks just like the non-Sport versions that I see all the tim..zzzzzz! Sorry fell asleep! Heck, I saw 5 Fusions driving around on lunch today!

2018 Kia Stinger GT AWD - 3.3TT - 365hp/376ft-lbs
2016 Mazda 6 I Touring - SOLD
MR/Bose/Sat Package - Tech Package
AEM Dry Filter - CS Axle Back Exhaust - AutoExe Strut Tower Bar - AutoExe Hood Dampers - AutoExe Oil Cap
AutoExe Shift knob - AutoExe Intake Suction Kit - Tanabe NF210 Springs - KONI Sport Yellow shocks - 19' Matte Bronze TSW Nurburgring Wheels
post #15 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-11-2016, 02:57 PM

Garage
So read another article on the Fusion Sport and found 2 other nuggets:

1) As expected, only an 8SPD Auto will be available on all non-hybrid versions.

2) Something more interesting, the 2017 Fusion will utilize an open source infotainment system called SDL (SmartDeviceLink), a system Mazda seems to be looking at as well:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car And Driver
Making amends for the rocky Microsoft connectivity era, Ford helped develop open-source software called SmartDeviceLink (SDL), labeling the version it uses AppLink. Toyota recently signed on to this software, and Honda, Subaru, and Mazda are seriously considering its use, according to Ford. The fond hope is that SDL becomes the accepted industry standard for car owners to use their phone apps on the road. At January’s Consumer Electronics Show, Ford’s executive director of connected vehicle services noted, “Customers throughout the industry benefit if everybody speaks one language.” AppLink already has spread globally into some 5 million Ford vehicles, and the expectation is that 28 million will use it by the end of this decade.
For those who want to peruse the entire article, you can go here: 2017 Ford Fusion Photos and Info ? News ? Car and Driver
post #16 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-11-2016, 04:02 PM

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
3rd Gen Mazda6 continued the styling innovations from what the YF Hyundai Sonata had done to the mid-size sedan market. Now the Civic (2016 North America Car of the Year), and the new Altima ups the ante, along w/ the systems of the 2017 Fusion (yet I still prefer the 6 over the Fusion for styling). IF you see the NEW Mazda Commercials, Mazda has finally got the Family together in styling. I believe that the MX-5 and RX-Vision will provide the next styling cues for Mazda Design. Mazda is still "Zoom-Zoom", and I agree a 2.5T in the upcoming stable will prove to be a major boost. That stated, Mazda still has a long ways to go to be a volume seller, and as such, they have chosen a balanced approach to their design and features. I'm looking forward to the formal announcement of the Koeru vehicle (CX-4; CX-6 or CX-7), and hope it will bring about Mazda's next phase of innovative design that will please the Heart and Soul of Spirited Drivers like us.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #17 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-11-2016, 04:13 PM

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
Adding insult to injury: More people would rather have a Honda Accord over a Mazda 6?
Poll: Mazda6 or Honda Accord? Ľ AutoGuide.com News

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-11-2016, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael95350 View Post
And why is that? To me, if you can't row your own gears it's not a sports car. Period. Paddle shifting is just a lazy workaround. Nothing for me will ever replace 3 pedals and a central shifter. Anyone can drive an Automatic. Takes a dedicated person who enjoys driving to the maximum to want a manual. Problem is that in the US people want to be on their smartphones too much and suck down a cheeseburger while driving, so they don't want to be 'inconvenienced' by shifting. Where the rest of the world still sells at least 40% of their cars with manuals, it's less than 6% in the US. That should say something.

I'm very interested to see why you find this line of thinking entertaining
You ever notice how lots of exotics don't even offer manual anymore? It's not because they hate manual. I guess they, and the C7Z, etc are not sports cars then.

Not everyone likes driving manual, some drive in lots of traffic, etc. Many reasons out there. If my Z06 was offered w/an auto, I would have bought that over manual. Why? Because faster.

Stop generalizing.
post #19 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-11-2016, 04:24 PM

Garage
@OCTOGONPC: It's simply due to brand recognition. Honda has very carefully crafted an image over the years that they're reliable and that quality is paramount. Mazda still has the perception that overall performance is their mantra.
@2006_MS6: Look at the demographics again. The US is one of the most valuable automobile markets outside of China right now. And the US mostly shuns manuals. It's a matter of market taste and Americans just can't seem to be bothered about shifting themselves. I'd be interested to see the ratio of cars installed with paddle shifters vs. drivers that actually USE them. I bet that's somewhere in the 6% range as well.

Funny story, and true. When Porsche was asked back in the late 1980s if they would install cupholders in their cars, the engineers threw a fit. "Why would you want cupholders in a car? You're supposed to be driving it, not having a picnic in it!" The rest of the world use their cars for driving. The US seems to be one of the only countries where our automobiles seem to double as mobile offices or homes away from home. I'm guilty of it at times. If I'm running behind on field calls, I'll grab a sub and a tea and lunch while I drive. But back on track.

How engaging can a car be to drive if you limit your interaction with it? A majority of auto enthusiasts will side that the more interaction with the car, the more engaging the drive. For me, nothing makes a road more fun then being able to shift the car and have it stay where I want it rev-wise. Using a little paddle on the wheel isn't engaging. It's just a per-programmed computer algorithm. Using your left foot to engage the clutch and your right arm to select the gear is far more engaging.

Then again, maybe I'm just a 40yr old dinosaur that doesn't get it. One thing is clear. You will only get me to drive an automatic when I can no longer use a clutch.

I don't wish to draw out a debate or argue over the mater, so I'll leave this angle tabled.

Last edited by michael95350; 01-11-2016 at 04:33 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to michael95350 For This Useful Post:
OCTOGONPC (01-11-2016)
post #20 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-11-2016, 04:32 PM

Location: fargo, nd, usa, north america, earth, the milky way galxy,the universe
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Groans: 16
Groaned at 8 Times in 6 Posts
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Nprguymc
Unless ford starts shelling out Twin Turbo V6 Duratecs in the ford fusion and makes it their performance car (which it never will be the 50+ Year old Mustang with such a massive history will always hold this title) it will always have a auto transmission. This is probably a competitor with the Subaru legacy which makes 25 more ponies and the fusion has worse suspension and lacks the Mazda exhaust note. no need to worry

Born again 2004 Mazda6 I
Forged internals 2.3L
Wiesco pistons Eagle rods

"Strike me down and I'll become more powerfull than you could possibly imagine"
-Ben Kenobi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page