Debating - Signature vs Accord Touring (CPO) - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Debating - Signature vs Accord Touring (CPO)

Howdy peoples, newb here from NJ. Current ride is a Chevy SS that is serving as my commuter scooter. I'm wanting to relegate it to garage queen status and in a few months think I'll be ready to pull the trigger on another ride. The plan is to get something that I can kill with miles (I drive 20-25K miles a year) for 4 years, and then it becomes the 1st car for my son when he gets his license. I've test driven both the 6 (GT, they didn't have a Signature for test driving) and Accord Touring. In both cases, I'll be looking for CPO's - let someone else take the depreciation hit, and the CPO warranty is a good selling point to me. Pros and cons to each, but I'm leaning Mazda. All in all, I think it's a better driver, but curious to read more here and see what you all have to say about your 6's.

Signature
Pros: Much better looking ride, and love the interior quality. Really a notch up in the materials department from the Accord. About $2-3K cheaper than the Accord for CPO's with about 5K miles on the odometer.
Cons: Interior feels more cramped. Bose - no thanks. Have it in my SS and Bose will put their name on anything, doesn't mean it's quality. In the GT I test drove, the engine noise was a bit more than I was expecting (not sure if the Signature has better sound insulation). The 6 speed seems a little sleepy (then again, I'm used to driving a stick in the SS).

Accord Touring
Pros: More spacious, more safety tech (not something I'm concerned about for me, but will be the kiddo's first car). Combo of the 2.0T and 10 speed transmission seems a little more lively off the line. Slight bump in MPG, and much better stereo.
Cons: See them EVERYWHERE - don't like being one of the masses (see Chevy SS). Not crazy about the wheel designs. The body color painted plastic on the trunk on every Accord I've seen (that runs between the tailights and around the 'H' badge) doesn't match the paint on the rest of the car - bugs me to no end! Once you see it, you can't unsee it. About $2-3K more expensive, and usually on a car with about 10K miles. Not as big a deal since the Accord usually has better resale value.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 08:41 PM
Track Racer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Groans: 2
Garage
You drove a GT... Please excuse my ignorance, but was it a 2.5 turbo, or was it the normally aspirated 2.5?

Cdn17Sport6MT
Vancouver, BC Canada
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdn17Sport6MT View Post
You drove a GT... Please excuse my ignorance, but was it a 2.5 turbo, or was it the normally aspirated 2.5?
It was the 2.5T.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 09:41 PM
Track Racer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Groans: 2
Garage
I tried a 2.0T Accord Sport, with 6MT. Found it to be a nice car. Reasonably powerful... but more on the top-end, as opposed to right off the line. The 2.5T Mazda will have more useable power... i.e. torque, down low, but will feel a bit winded at the upper mid ranges, and the top-end.

10 speed A/T versus 6 speed A/T: the former will have more shift-events over its life. Ea. shift event is a wear-event, putting wear materials into the ATF. 6 speeds on the Mazda are not bad... might last longer?

The Mazda body thickness, I suspect, is less than the Honda. Mazda paint is very fragile - but I have heard that Honda Accords, too, are suffering in the paint department. I don't know for sure, but by way of rust proofednesss, I suspect the Honda is a mite better than the Mazda.

I find my Mazda carpets exceedingly thin, poorboy by way of pile thickness and feel. But others, too, out there are not great. Was in a 2010 five series BMW the other day... decent looking carpet... but poor pile feel. Was surprised.

As for me, I have a naturally aspirated 2.5.. model year 2017. I believe the new-standard, out there, is 4 cyl. turbo... and I wish I had one.

But for longevity, I am very comfortable having bought my 2017 6MT.

Cdn17Sport6MT
Vancouver, BC Canada

Last edited by Cdn17Sport6MT; 08-13-2019 at 09:44 PM.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 10:31 PM
Track Racer

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Groans: 6
Groaned at 11 Times in 11 Posts
Garage
What year(s) are you looking at? Assuming 2018?

Bose - Did you get a chance to adjust the sound settings? Makes a huge difference.

Insulation between GT and Sig. - Not positive but pretty sure they're the same.

Sleepy - Did you put the trans in Sport Mode? Changes the shift points, really wakes it up, noticeably much peppier, sporty.

Our '18 Sig is averaging right close to 30 mpg with a combination city-highway. You can use 87 octane or pickup another 23 HP running 93 octane.

Really couldn't be any happier with the car.

2018 Signature - White Pearl - Chestnut
Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by idrive; 08-13-2019 at 10:34 PM.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 10:36 PM
Track Racer

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Garage
Sorry upfront but I'm not going to be too helpful given that both of these cars are a great choice for someone looking for a more connected driving experience than your average. Still love my (manual) 6, especially now that I have a fresh coat of wax on it and a good interior cleaning. With the extended warranty the CPO models typically come with you should be OK with either one and both are solidly build and most likely be reliable with the nod to Mazda since the engine/transmission and most of the car have been tried and true for a number of years now. Honda's engine and 10 speed are very new designs and not proven yet. Too close to call on specs/logic that I would think that with test drives one or the other would have spoken to you. That's how I bought all my cars- create a short list and go drive 'em. Maybe take them out again in the same day?

Did you see this comparison?
blenny8483 likes this.

2017.5 Mazda6 Touring 6sp. manual Deep Crystal Blue, Fog Lights

Last edited by LIMazda6; 08-13-2019 at 11:21 PM. Reason: Added video:
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 03:06 AM
Track Racer

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Garage
They are both safe, reliable cars but when I was 16 I hated driving a car that looking like I was driving my parent's car, I'd love to be given a Mazda as a teen. I do understand that's not your first concern but you will be driving it too. The M6 is so much fun to drive, it's such a stylish car and it's nice have something a little different than every other car out there. I'm so happy I bought mine instead of the Hondas, and Fords I was initially looking at.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 06:59 AM
Track Racer

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
It is great to have something unique (6 Signature, or a 6 in general) as there aren't a lot of them on the roads, at least where I live...but I think there is some value in owning a car that is more ubiquitous...I would think any issues would be identified sooner when there are more on the road. More aftermarket/performance parts available, more online support as well.

I have sat in, but not driven, a new Accord and I do like the interior on my 6 better...it looks nicer but I am not 100% it is of actual higher quality.

We have a 2006 Accord also at home and I am impressed with how well it has aged and how it still works pretty good!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 09:55 AM
Learners License

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
That's a tough call. I didn't even look at the Accord or Camry because they are so popular. I see many more Camrys here in St. Louis than I do the new Accords. IMO the Accords' and Camrys' front ends are ugly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdn17Sport6MT View Post
I find my Mazda carpets exceedingly thin, poorboy by way of pile thickness and feel. But others, too, out there are not great. Was in a 2010 five series BMW the other day... decent looking carpet... but poor pile feel. Was surprised.
I don't know about the floor mats in your 17 but the ones that came in my 18 are the thickest pile carpeted floor mats I have ever seen in a vehicle. My BF's 18 Sport bought at different dealership had the same exact thick floor mats as well. Maybe they changed them when they did the refresh. They have 3/4-1" of pile to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIMazda6 View Post
Too close to call on specs/logic that I would think that with test drives one or the other would have spoken to you. That's how I bought all my cars- create a short list and go drive 'em. Maybe take them out again in the same day?
I did the same thing. When I was on the fence between a 18 Fusion Titanium AWD or my 18 6 Signature. I made a pros and cons list and then decided on what pros/cons were more important than others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTEyes View Post
It is great to have something unique (6 Signature, or a 6 in general) as there aren't a lot of them on the roads, at least where I live...but I think there is some value in owning a car that is more ubiquitous
I agree about owning a vehicle that not many others have. I miss my 2013 Buick Regal Turbo because of that. The 6 is the closest thing that is in my price point that was close to the level of refinement and engaging as to drive. I should have never gotten rid of that car 2 years ago but I do love my 6 just as much. All my other vehicles have been cookie cutter ones.

MINE 2018 Mazda6 Signature Machine Gray Metallic/Deep Chestnut Nappa Leather
HIS 2018 Mazda6 Sport Manual Sonic Silver Metallic/Black Cloth
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 10:02 AM
Shiro Shinobi

Mentioned: 786 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2906 Post(s)
Thanked 4,068 Times in 2,857 Posts
Groaned at 16 Times in 16 Posts
Garage
In my opinion:

The Accord is for going A to B, the Mazda is for DRIVING. If you enjoy driving, get a Mazda, if you're just looking to get somewhere, still get a Mazda because they're just as reliable, just as safe, better quality and way nicer looking.

But I digress. Of course you're going to get very biased opinions on this site, but I think all of us here can agree that we love our cars and got them for the fun feeling of driving them just about anywhere. I have had mine for over 6.5 years and have put over 160k miles on it and I still love driving it every single day.

Current:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Sold:
, 3rd Generation

A gov't big enough to give you anything you want is big enough to take all you have.
"Camry: For Drivers Without a Soul." - Mz6GreyGhost
For your 'will these tires fit' needs:

Need a Part Number? Find it

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page