New Member in Cleveland Ohio; First Mazda - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
New Member in Cleveland Ohio; First Mazda

Hi! I just acquired a 2007 Mazda 6 for my college age son. I look forward to learning about this vehicle on this forum. I have never owned a Mazda before. I am very active on forums for my other vehicles: VW Passat, Honda Odyssey, and Honda Accord.
I will poke around these Mazda 6 forums to learn the basics. Eventually I will post specific questions on the appropriate 1st generation forum that my searches fail to answer. I live in Cleveland Ohio. I do most of my own DIY maintenance and repairs on my other vehicles, and expect I will also with this Mazda 6. First order of business will for me to learn how to do all the basic maintenance tasks: oil change, transmission fluid, power steering, brakes, coolant, etc.... I have ordered a Haynes and Chilton service manual, for starters.
The vehicle also has 4 stored engine fault codes pertaining to thermostat and intake air temperature and flow (P0113, P0126, P0128, P0102). I will search around here to learn about these. The car runs well; quite a bit of body rust around the wheel wells. I bought it from the original owner and have all the maintenance records.
I look forward to learning from you all on this forum. Take care.

2007 Mazda 6 I Sedan Touring
2.3L VVT I4 engine
5-speed Sport auto transmission
164,000 miles
Cleveland, Ohio USA

Last edited by Thscott; 08-13-2019 at 11:40 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 11:48 AM
Shiro Shinobi

Mentioned: 786 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2907 Post(s)
Thanked 4,068 Times in 2,857 Posts
Groaned at 16 Times in 16 Posts
Garage
Welcome to the forum!

Congrats on your purchase; the 6 is a wonderful car to have for college.

Unfortunately the wheel well rust is a plague on these cars but they do great otherwise.

Let us know how the code searching goes and if you've got any questions

Current:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Sold:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, 3rd Generation

A gov't big enough to give you anything you want is big enough to take all you have.
"Camry: For Drivers Without a Soul." - Mz6GreyGhost
For your 'will these tires fit' needs:

Need a Part Number? Find it

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Thank you Byakuya. For general questions I may have while here in the Newbie forum, should I append them to this thread or start a new thread? How soon would it be appropriate for me to shift over the the Mazda 6 1st Gen forums? I see that there is a general 1st gen forum, a 1st gen technical forum, and a 1st gen DIY forum. I want to follow your protocol. Thanks.

2.3L VVT I4 engine
164,000 miles
Cleveland, Ohio USA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 01:14 PM
Shiro Shinobi

Mentioned: 786 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2907 Post(s)
Thanked 4,068 Times in 2,857 Posts
Groaned at 16 Times in 16 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thscott View Post
Thank you Byakuya. For general questions I may have while here in the Newbie forum, should I append them to this thread or start a new thread? How soon would it be appropriate for me to shift over the the Mazda 6 1st Gen forums? I see that there is a general 1st gen forum, a 1st gen technical forum, and a 1st gen DIY forum. I want to follow your protocol. Thanks.
Don't sweat it too much, we're pretty easy going here and I plan to keep it that way.

I tell people that the back-end database usually updates your privileges within 24 hours of your first post, at which time you'll have access to the remainder of the forum sans classifieds, which opens at 50 posts.

The DIY section is for posting information on how to complete a job, not for asking questions, so anywhere in the appropriate 1st gen section would be great.

You're welcome to keep any questions in here if you'd like, but more people with the right knowledge might see it in the correct section. Bear in mind that, as much as it pains me, the 1st generation group on this forum is dwindling, so you may not get an immediate response.

Oh, and the site is currently undergoing some serious maintenance by the owners/operators, so not everything is working 100%.

Current:
, Sold:
, 3rd Generation

A gov't big enough to give you anything you want is big enough to take all you have.
"Camry: For Drivers Without a Soul." - Mz6GreyGhost
For your 'will these tires fit' needs:

Need a Part Number? Find it

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 11:00 AM
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
2007 V6 here. I've been lurking these forums for years. Tons of great info here. I got my hands on the worskhop manual for the Mazda 6 and I suggest you find a copy, too, as it will help your son avoid pricey trips to a mechanic who probably isn't all that familiar with a 12 year old car. The manual + this forum has helped me diagnose (and fix) just about anything that comes up with the car.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Today, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
Learners License

Thanks. I've been learning a lot here already. I will search for the shop service manual. I got the Haynes manual I ordered. It is somewhat helpful, but seems to be more written for the 6 cylinder engine, not the 2.3L 4 cylinder engine. Here are 3 questions I have not yet found the answer to:

Is there a serviceable fuel filter or is it part of the fuel pump?

Is there a serviceable transmission fluid filter, or is it inside the transmission pan?
When changing the valve cover gasket, are there also spark plug tube gaskets that have to be replaced?

Thanks.

2.3L VVT I4 engine
164,000 miles
Cleveland, Ohio USA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page