post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Delay in acceleration

I noticed when I floor it it takes a second to actually respond to that and start to rev up... is there anything I can do about it I heard grounding the throttle body but not much else?? Help please
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 11:38 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Groans: 2
Garage
Yeah thats the drive by wire electronic TB. Here is a good article /promo explaining the drive by wire system. There are throttle controllers on the market that allow one to adjust the amount of voltage the sensors see. I don't have anything like that or have even looked into it for our 6 but there might be one out there for it.

Ray.
2003 6s
Brakemotive Drilled and slotted rotors, Modified eBay CAI, EGR reroute and optimized, TB coolant delete, Brake light mod, AWR Racing Lower dog bone, AWR Right engine mount, BIG 5 upgrade, Battery Relocated, Custom Busbars, Optima Red top, 2 12" Planet Audio BBD12, Rockville Audio 1400w 4chan amp, Rockville Audio 8000w sub amp, RX 8 seats, Custom LED side markers, Lower rear bumper lights, Transmission cooler, Derale Performance transmission filter kit, and lots more to come!!!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 01:02 PM
Rally Racer

Mentioned: 175 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzby View Post
I noticed when I floor it it takes a second to actually respond to that and start to rev up... is there anything I can do about it I heard grounding the throttle body but not much else?? Help please
What @DJ Raydiate said is accurate. There are aftermarket controllers that modify the signal sent to the throttle body. For me it is alittle beyone my trust level to give my throttle function to an aftermarket add-on. A manufacturer that may work for you is PedalBox

There is also a delay imposed by the rotational mass. Greater inertia makes it less likely to stall when engaging the clutch. This also slows REV response. The delay can be remedied with a lighter flywheel but it makes it more likely to stall when starting if you don't get it right. This point is largely moot with an automatic.
Good luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mozz-D
2004 6s Wagon 3.0, 5-speed ATX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFeelGood View Post
Quote:
What @DJ Raydiate said is accurate. There are aftermarket controllers that modify the signal sent to the throttle body. For me it is alittle beyone my trust level to give my throttle function to an aftermarket add-on. A manufacturer that may work for you is PedalBox

There is also a delay imposed by the rotational mass. Greater inertia makes it less likely to stall when engaging the clutch. This also slows REV response. The delay can be remedied with a lighter flywheel but it makes it more likely to stall when starting if you don't get it right. This point is largely moot with an automatic.
Good luck.

Unfortunately they don’t have my engine on there which sucks but I appreciate the help guys I’m just trying to find a way to get better respond because getting to 5k rpm in first gear from flooring it it takes a while but after that it’s not bad but any other time highway speeds to floor it it’s too much delay to get going I can suck it up but if there’s something I can do about it I’m open to options
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 02:58 PM
Rally Racer

Mentioned: 175 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Garage
Quote:
Unfortunately they donít have my engine on there which sucks but I appreciate the help guys Iím just trying to find a way to get better respond because getting to 5k rpm in first gear from flooring it it takes a while but after that itís not bad but any other time highway speeds to floor it itís too much delay to get going I can suck it up but if thereís something I can do about it Iím open to options
I am wondering if you have another issue. Are you running a V6?
Mine just explodes through 1st gear. I have often thought it was too short with the 5speed ATX. A clogged exhaust will also prevent revving. Did you have any misfire codes at one point? P0300?
If you had a video (with audio) showing what you mean it would he me out for sure.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mozz-D
2004 6s Wagon 3.0, 5-speed ATX
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFeelGood View Post
Quote:
Unfortunately they don’t have my engine on there which sucks but I appreciate the help guys I’m just trying to find a way to get better respond because getting to 5k rpm in first gear from flooring it it takes a while but after that it’s not bad but any other time highway speeds to floor it it’s too much delay to get going I can suck it up but if there’s something I can do about it I’m open to options
I am wondering if you have another issue. Are you running a V6?
Mine just explodes through 1st gear. I have often thought it was too short with the 5speed ATX. A clogged exhaust will also prevent revving. Did you have any misfire codes at one point? P0300?
If you had a video (with audio) showing what you mean it would he me out for sure.
It’s automatic... v6 and when I floor it from a complete stop it takes a second or two to get up there I had a misfire while flooring it when I first got it at 103k miles but that was it wasn’t a permanent misfire just a random one but don’t get my wrong rolling from maybe 15 mph 1st gear does blow through it but from the stop not so much.
I’m up to date with maintenance but this has always been a problem and the engine is taken care of .. this isn’t my first v6 Mazda 6 wagon either same issue with that one
I’ll get a video today to show you though
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

I took the video but how do I add it to here ?
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 06:37 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I took the video but how do I add it to here ?

Uploading to YouTube and sharing the link here would be the simplest, IMHO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DJ Raydiate likes this.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 04:22 PM
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Have a v6 its more then likely Mass air flow sensor. I know exactly the feeling your talking about. You push the gas and it almost like it pauses. Just clean that and the throttle body. If its not those things believe me by now they need a good cleaning. Of course this is assuming you checked you spark plugs are good condition.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 05:03 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Groans: 2
Garage
I do this every season just to keep everything happy. If you don't know they last time your TB was calibrated, it's a good chance that it's due. Now if this doesn't help, then you have underlying conditions as stated.

V6 Auto owners, Do this NOW! Lag, Hesitation, Abrupt shifts (FIXED)
Does your 6 suffer from:
Passing gear lag, takes it sweet time to drop a gear and accelerate
Abrupt downshift (skipping gears like 3->1, 4->2, 6->3)
Jerking off idle while rolling on and off the throttle i.e. traffic jams
Abrupt engagement under light throttle
Non-linear control of engine speed for minor throttle changes
I've owned my 6 for just about a year now and have a VERY SIMPLE CURE for these conditions. Reset the Throttle Curve! Original is here: http://forum.mazda6club.com/3-0l-v6/...fts-fixed.html

HOW TO RESET THROTTLE CURVE:
Drive car to warm engine and drive train
Stop car and leave transmission in Park (Manual trans, leave it in gear).
Turn Ignition Switch OFF
Let off throttle pedal completely
Turn Ignition Switch on to Run position BUT DO NOT START!!
Slowly, consistently and at the even rate, depress the throttle pedal completely to the floor. BE SMOOTH!!!
Once down completely, Slowly, consistently and at the same rate, RELEASE the throttle pedal completely from the floor.
Once at the top, remove your foot and turn the Ignition Key OFF!
Done!
- Repeat every 90 days or when you notice it not playing nice!!

As you all know the servo sounding noise under the hood when the key is turned off is the Throttle Body Calibrating itself for idle and partial throttle load. Over time, most of us NEVER use full throttle as much as we use idle and partial throttle. This is my theory but it seems as if the ECM looses track of the linear curve from idle to WOT and makes decisions based upon a non-linear curve. This simple process has corrected my car making it so much more pleasant to drive. Doing this every 3 months is now a MUST!!

I've done this to several TBW vehicles, Toyota, Nissan, Ford, and Mazda 3. It seems to help all of them. Give it a try and report back.

Results may vary but it works well on this combination: 2006, AJ 3.0 & AW6A-EL 6 Spd
THIS DOES NOT FIX; stumble, misfire, CEL Faults, poor tune.

TAG: Throttle By Wire, LAG, Abrupt engagement, being a Jerk!

Ray.
2003 6s
Brakemotive Drilled and slotted rotors, Modified eBay CAI, EGR reroute and optimized, TB coolant delete, Brake light mod, AWR Racing Lower dog bone, AWR Right engine mount, BIG 5 upgrade, Battery Relocated, Custom Busbars, Optima Red top, 2 12" Planet Audio BBD12, Rockville Audio 1400w 4chan amp, Rockville Audio 8000w sub amp, RX 8 seats, Custom LED side markers, Lower rear bumper lights, Transmission cooler, Derale Performance transmission filter kit, and lots more to come!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page