Mazda 6 has difficulty starting (cranks 8-10 times) - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Exclamation Mazda 6 has difficulty starting (cranks 8-10 times)

Hi there, my 2007 Mazda 6 GS 4-door 2.3L takes a while to start. It starts, but it takes at least 2-3 attempts with 7-8 cranks each. Sometimes after running, it will start instantly 8 times in a row. No problems when the car is running, not that I can tell.

I will probably be replacing the spark plugs anyway, but I think it might be the fuel system because I made the mistake of running it down to empty a few times. I suppose it could also be a bad starter.

Does it start after the "key on position" trick to create some fuel pressure? Sometimes yes, when the key is left "on" for about 30 seconds. Sometimes it still takes at least 7-8 cranks.

I've been quoted about $600 to replace the fuel pump by my mechanic, and I don't really think I want to pay $600 for a $2000 car, since there are additional repairs too (suspension, and eventually transmission). I will be replacing the car in February anyway. But it would be nice if I could replace or clean the fuel pump/filter in the meantime.

I'm looking to see if I can fix it myself. Found a video on youtube and it doesn't look too difficult to remove.

I was wondering if I could get a fuel pump from a scrapyard or similar for $100-200. I'm seeing some very cheap fuel pumps on ebay, which are likely fake.

IS THERE ANY WAY OF CLEANING the fuel pump and filter after removing it from the car? Anything else I should try?

Other things to check on my list:
  • Fuel relay
  • Spark plugs
  • Starter
  • Starter solenoid
  • Fuel pump connectors

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 12:13 AM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Groans: 6
Groaned at 10 Times in 10 Posts
Garage
It's not the starter or it wouldn't crank.

I don't know that car well but I would start by replacing the fuel filter. Are you sure there are no leaks in the fuel line anywhere?

If you think it could be plugs (I doubt it) pull one and check it out.

EDIT: Is this a Diesel?

2018 Signature - White Pearl - Chestnut
Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by idrive; 06-22-2019 at 08:07 AM.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 08:19 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Garage
I know the guys is controversial, but this might help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 06:18 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcoulombe View Post
I know the guys is controversial, but this might help.

If I may ask, why is this guy controversial? Does he have some "false" information​ on his videos?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 06:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archerfish View Post
If I may ask, why is this guy controversial? Does he have some "false" information​ on his videos?

Let's say he has strong opinions and that he loves Toyota a lot. But I find him entertaining and think he can give lots of useful tips. You just have to take his opinions with a grain of salt.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 11:44 AM
Learners License

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Garage
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
Learners License

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xalint6 View Post
If it is in fact your fuel pump you can get one from
Wow, thanks for the useful information. I'll definitely be checking this out. What's the difference in quality between those pumps listed? I have a mind to get the SPECTRA PREMIUM SP8719M $178.79 which is listed as the cheapest "daily driver".

I definitely have a feeling it's the fuel pump, because it happened immediately after I'd been driving on Empty for a good period of time. Maybe that or fuel injectors getting messed up from all the bad fuel, who knows.

I will put in new spark plugs and see if that helps it start reliably first.. No idea what the mass airflow sensor is or how to fix it, I'm afraid...
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 10:34 AM
Learners License

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Well you can take a look here
on how to clean a mass air flow sensor follow those directions only. In the same video it shows you how to clean your throttle body DO NOT follow those directions. Its always best to take the throttle body off and clean it instead of spraying the heck out of it while its on the engine and getting it half clean. As far as the spark plugs go take them out and look at them see how they look before replacing them. I know there fairly cheap by why replace if there is no need. You could try a good cleaner like techron if you think your injectors are plugged. I hope you get it worked out these cars are wonderful once you getting them running correctly. I have had many different models and makes over the years and 3 or 4 Mazda and I always like them best. The handling in these cars are fantastic.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 02:49 PM
Rally Racer

Mentioned: 171 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Garage
This sounds like a fuel pressure issue. Before spending hundreds on trying things I would probably go the road of testing. A fuel pressure tester can be had for under $30 and may save you more in the end.
OTC's Fuel Pressure Test Kit
Fuel pumps do go out and they may cause the symptoms you describe. If you do replace it make sure that you get the in tank strainer with it, as that is effectively your filter.
Other things that may be involved with the fault include: injectors, pressure regulator, pulsation damper, leaky fuel line (internally causing pressure bleed off) and wiring.

For reference, my v6 takes 3-4 cylinder compressions to start with a new battery and 4-6 cylinders to start with an older battery. I have had my fuel pressure tested both statically and dynamically (while driving), all within specs.

Check your factory service manual for procedures.

Good luck.

Mozz-D
2004 6s Wagon 3.0, 5-speed ATX
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 02:42 AM Thread Starter
Learners License

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xalint6 View Post
Well you can take a look here n how to clean a mass air flow sensor follow those directions only. In the same video it shows you how to clean your throttle body DO NOT follow those directions. Its always best to take the throttle body off and clean it instead of spraying the heck out of it while its on the engine and getting it half clean. As far as the spark plugs go take them out and look at them see how they look before replacing them. I know there fairly cheap by why replace if there is no need. You could try a good cleaner like techron if you think your injectors are plugged. I hope you get it worked out these cars are wonderful once you getting them running correctly. I have had many different models and makes over the years and 3 or 4 Mazda and I always like them best. The handling in these cars are fantastic.
Thanks for your advice, but I'm basically stuck right now. What I need is an accurate diagnosis. I just spent $300 last month replacing swaybar links, I can't spend $300/month on this old car, it makes no sense at all.

The car is a really fun drive even with the fairly low power. However, at 115k miles, everything on this car is falling apart.
  • The transmission is a lemon, very costly to fix.
  • Suspension broke,
  • steering and brakes make noise.
  • It often won't really go into park which means it won't start back up
  • There's a strange chemical smell in the cabin when using the vents, so the car can't really be used in winter
  • And now I can't even reliably start the car, without spending $600+ for a new fuel pump and starter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page