Just over 1 year of ownership & about to hit 50k miles!!! BUT... - Page 2 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 09:12 AM
Shiro Shinobi

Mentioned: 786 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2907 Post(s)
Thanked 4,068 Times in 2,857 Posts
Groans: 0
Groaned at 16 Times in 16 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archerfish View Post
If I may confirm it, you replaced your front brake pads at 55,000 miles?

I only have 40,000 km and I need to replace it now, front and rear pads, I'm just waiting for it to arrive.
Front pads and rotors at 55k, yup. Though the pads easily had another 15 - 20k miles in them, I was tired of the warped rotors.

But also put 55k miles on the car in under 2 years with it being 95% highway driving, so the pads weren't being used much.

As other evidence, I've had these same pads/rotors on now for over 100k miles and they've still got some life in them

Current:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Sold:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, 3rd Generation

A gov't big enough to give you anything you want is big enough to take all you have.
"Camry: For Drivers Without a Soul." - Mz6GreyGhost
For your 'will these tires fit' needs:

Need a Part Number? Find it

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 09:41 AM
Track Racer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byakuya View Post
Front pads and rotors at 55k, yup. Though the pads easily had another 15 - 20k miles in them, I was tired of the warped rotors.

But also put 55k miles on the car in under 2 years with it being 95% highway driving, so the pads weren't being used much.

As other evidence, I've had these same pads/rotors on now for over 100k miles and they've still got some life in them
What could be wrong with my brake pads? Perhaps I should blame my driving style.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 11:46 AM
Mazda Guru

Mentioned: 101 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Groans: 6
Groaned at 11 Times in 10 Posts
Archerfish -- Probably.

I've got 180k on my "6" now -- on second set of brakes. They're still serviceable but probably have another ~20k miles worth of life left in them.

It's not hard to burn through a set of brakes in 20k miles or less. You won't like what it does to your fuel economy doing that (every bit of braking you do is heat that you must dissipate, and you paid for that energy in the form of gas) but.... it's your choice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 11:58 AM
Shiro Shinobi

Mentioned: 786 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2907 Post(s)
Thanked 4,068 Times in 2,857 Posts
Groaned at 16 Times in 16 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickerguy View Post
Archerfish -- Probably.

I've got 180k on my "6" now -- on second set of brakes. They're still serviceable but probably have another ~20k miles worth of life left in them.

It's not hard to burn through a set of brakes in 20k miles or less. You won't like what it does to your fuel economy doing that (every bit of braking you do is heat that you must dissipate, and you paid for that energy in the form of gas) but.... it's your choice.
What he said.

I roll to stops as often as I can, I approach turns at the highest speed I can without hitting brakes, I drive (usually) as calmly as I can because it's too easy to get stressed with a long commute and never worth it.

Current:
, Sold:
, 3rd Generation

A gov't big enough to give you anything you want is big enough to take all you have.
"Camry: For Drivers Without a Soul." - Mz6GreyGhost
For your 'will these tires fit' needs:

Need a Part Number? Find it

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 06:56 PM
Track Racer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickerguy View Post
Archerfish -- Probably.

180,000 and this is in miles and not kilometers?!? That means, the average is 90k.

I only raced the car thrice so that might have caused it.

I'm hoping that EBC Green is better than stock. The stock pads cost way more than the aftermarket ones. Well, what else can I expect from stealership (I got that word here).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byakuya View Post
What he said.

I roll to stops as often as I can, I approach turns at the highest speed I can without hitting brakes, I drive (usually) as calmly as I can because it's too easy to get stressed with a long commute and never worth it.
I also do this, but some drivers brake too early and so I have to brake too.

In our local place, we have a lot of "uneducated" driver. Many will stay and hog the overtaking lane and they run way below 80 kph!

Another annoying thing, some of them, if not most of them, will enter your lane very, very, and painfully slow as they merge. There was an instance that I have to slam on the brakes!

It's difficult to use the cruise control and maintain a speed of 83 kph as some are running at 60! I understand trucks, but cars?

Then again, I have to adjust. The world will not adjust for me. I need to drive slow, like the rest of them.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 01:51 PM
Mazda Guru

Mentioned: 101 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Groans: 6
Groaned at 11 Times in 10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archerfish View Post
180,000 and this is in miles and not kilometers?!? That means, the average is 90k.
Yep, and I changed the first set of brakes because I expected to have to do it in the middle of the summer, which is a serious pain in the neck around here due to the summer heat. I'd rather do the job in the off seasons, so I did it 10-20k miles early.

I think I'll get into fall before the current set runs out..... but it'll be close. I rotate my tires when I change my oil, so I get a good opportunity to look at the brake pad condition every ~7k miles or so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page