Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Electrical problem

Hello all,
First time using the Mazda 6 Club.
I am trying to figure out a weird electrical issue with daughters 2008 Mazda 6.
So, the other night she told me that the Taillights and parking lights were out.
I checked the next day and found that fuse 31 in the fuse box under the hood was blown.
I replaced the fuse and the lights came back on and thought we were good to go.
My daughter then took the car out and found that as soon as she switched on the Tail lights the dashboard would freak out (all lights on and the Tach and speedometer drop to 0) but the car is still running.
So I went through and did some troubleshooting and could not yet find the problem.
I did confirm that if I remove fuse 31, and switch on the Taillights (obviously they are not lit) then the issue does not happen.
I also confirmed that the car does not need to be running to recreate the dashboard all lights on when switching on the Taillights.
I guess I am thinking a faulty wire or short of some sort, but I would think a short would blow the fuse again immediately as soon as power is applied to the circuit.
Any thoughts?
Thanks very much in advance for your input.
Tony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 05:40 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Groans: 6
Groaned at 10 Times in 10 Posts
Garage
Are all the bulbs in the tail lights working? No burned out bulb(s)?

Have you checked the brake pedal switch?

Just trying to think of some obvious spots that are part of what brings the cause about and keep this at the top of the page.

2018 Signature - White Pearl - Chestnut
Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 09:07 PM

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Welcome aboard.

Perhaps a bad ground? These cars can be prone to that.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Learners License

Thanks for the input.
There was one tail light bulb blown that I had known about before, I replaced it at the same time I replaced the fuse.
I have since gone through and unplugged all the tail lights as part of troubleshooting but the problem still happens even when unplugged.
The other thing that has been happening with the car over the last year plus has been the low-beam headlight bulb will blow every couple months.
It's usually just one side at a time but it does alternate between sides.
Thanks, everyone for your input.
Tony
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 03:35 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Garage
So it happens with the tail lights unplugged? Did you unplug the ones in the center? Tag lights? It almost sounds as if there is water somewhere inside the lights. I was going to ask about water in the tail lights but if they are unplugged then I don't think it's that lol. However there are other lights on that circuit. Does it happen only when the headlights are on or parking lights?

If it does it with the parking lights then anything that comes on with the running lights would need to be checked.

If It doesn't do it until the headlights are on, look towards the headlights. On my 03, the insulation on the wires inside the headlights are cracked down to bare wires in some spots, when i go to do my retrofit i will be rewiring them to take care of that issue.

If there is no water to be seen, I'd start looking at each plug and any wiring near them. Sometimes these fray over time if there are tight bends near the bulbs/plugs.

Good luck because it sure does sound like you have your work cut out for you.
DrFeelGood likes this.

Ray.
2003 6s
Brakemotive Drilled and slotted rotors, Modified eBay CAI, EGR reroute and optimized, TB coolant delete, Brake light mod, AWR Racing Lower dog bone, AWR Right engine mount, BIG 5 upgrade, Battery Relocated, Custom Busbars, Optima Red top, 2 12" Planet Audio BBD12, Rockville Audio 1400w 4chan amp, Rockville Audio 8000w sub amp, RX 8 seats, Custom LED side markers, Lower rear bumper lights, Transmission cooler, Derale Performance transmission filter kit, and lots more to come!!!
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 03:45 PM
Rally Racer

Mentioned: 165 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Garage
Electrical problems can be a beast indeed. Go for the obvious things first as @DJ Raydiate suggests. Bad bulb sockets, water in bulbs/connectors etc. After that it comes down to testing impedance on every circuit. Basically if there is a wire on the circuit running somewhere you will have to test it with an ohmmeter to see if there is a break. [sigh]

As far as the headlights go, if you touch them with anything that has oil (eg. hands) they will fail very quickly. I clean all my bulbs with acetone and install them with fresh nitrile gloves or while holding them in the acetone towelette.

Good luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mozz-D
2004 6s Wagon 3.0, 5-speed ATX
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Thanks everyone for your replies.
So I am still digging into this issue, the problem only occurs when the parking light switch is on.
I drove it around with the switch on and both the tach and speedometer will drop down and up intermittently and all the dash lights will light up and go out at same time.
Its very strange, car does not stall out or hesitate when it occurs.
So today, I removed the Tail light, parking light, license plate light fuse (#31), confirmed that 12V is applied to the right connector pin.
I then did a continuity check on both fuse pins and the left side reads nearly 0 Ohms (meter is beeping).
I then removed the other fuse right below that is (#32) same rating of 10A, it is listed in the manual as Dashboard illumination, and I get the same results, left side reads nearly 0 Ohms (meter is beeping).
So based on these results I would think I have some type of short, but when both fuses are in and the car is running and turn the parking switch, these fuses do not blow.
I have experience with electronics, so I'm no stranger to using a meter and measuring voltage and ohms etc..., but this is strange.
I even pulled out the Tail relay which is right next to these two fuses and have same results as far as the continuity check on the left fuse pin.
I even did some random checks on some of the other fuses in the fuse box and they do not read continuity and any side of the connection.
Am I missing something obvious or unique with this circuit?
Thanks in advance for your input.
Tony
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Hello all,
Good News, problem solved.
There were 2 other bulbs in the same circuit that I did not know were there.
There are two mini parking lights tucked up above the high beam lights, they are mini buld types.
I could not see them at first because my headlight lens were abit foggy, which I now have cleaned/restored with toothpaste.
Both of these bulbs were burnt out, I removed both bulds and then tested the car and the problem was gone.
I replaced the bulbs with new ones (Sylvania 2825) and all is good.
I had thought that the lights on the side (orange lens) were the front parking lights, but those are the "Side Marker lights".
Can't explain why burnt bulds would cause this issue, I did a quick ohms check on the bulbs and no short detected.
Anyhow, all is working good now and I feel a hell alot better.
Thank you all again for your input, it was very much appreciated.
Tony
dcoulombe, DrFeelGood and idrive like this.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 08:53 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajasap3 View Post

Can't explain why burnt bulds would cause this issue, I did a quick ohms check on the bulbs and no short detected.
Sometimes it's weird. I remember my neighbor, his dashboard will flicker until they found out that it's because of the wrong bulb capacity that was installed by the technician. So it was like this, 10 Watts is required but 20 Watts was installed.

Congratulations for fixing it.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Hello all,
Well, the issue has come back.
I thought I was done with it.
Was working fine for about 6 days when my daughter was driving home from the store last night and it came back.
I checked it again myself today and yup, same thing.
If the taillight/parking lights are not switched on then it's OK.
I confirmed that all the lights are on, no fuse is blown.
The last thing I did, when I thought I fixed it, replaced the two burnt out parking light bulbs.
I did try and remove the new bulbs that are in there but no change still happens.
If I remove the #31 fuse which does not allow any of the taillight/parking lights to come on then there is no issue when I turn the switch on.
I have a tough time believing there is a short in the circuit since all the lights are on and fuse is not blown.
Maybe there is an electrical control module that is malfunctioning under load?
Scratching my head.
Anybody have any ideas, I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks
Tony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page