Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
My first new car

Have owned ~18 cars & motorcycles in my life, all purchased used. Now retired, I in market for my first new car:
Features I want:
All the electronic safety goodies
360 camera
Heads up Display
Android Auto
Engine >= 2.0T, mechanic friendly

Features I do not want:
Panoramic sunroof
AWD

Desired, not mandatory:
Pushbutton type transmission shifting
Non-tablet type screen
17" wheels (vs 19")
Use Regular gas
Drowsiness monitoring
Lotsa cabin storage such as pockets and cupholders

Cars I'm considering:
TLX, Accord, Camry, A6, Maxima, Altima, Mazda 6, Fusion, Genesis G70 & G80, Sonata

Presently drive 03 Infinity I35, and other than the Nissan 3.5 engine, the car has been very reliable.

I'm curious about the Mazda 6 turbo vs non-turbo in terms of ability to access engine components for maintenance. Any first hand experience here would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 02:18 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Groans: 2
Garage
I think the 17" wheels, versus 19" wheels, may be problematic with the Mazda6 turbo (though you state it as a preference versus a must). The latter (turbo) is on the higher trim levels that automatically give you 19" alloys. As for me, I would go for the Turbo because I believe it has upped the game considerably, for the Mazda6.

The Mazda6 turbo is a well-balanced (overall) car that handles well, accelerates well, is quiet (in this latest 2018 rendition) and just overall, is a really nice and reliable car. The engineers favour simple solutions and generally the car is pretty easy to work on and has given very few reliability concerns.

I can tell you that the Mazda6 Turbo handles very well, and has a very well integrated turbocharger that emphasizes bottom and mid-range power. I took several cars (last Saturday) on a Mazda-sponsored driving event, and I was totally surprised at the prowess with which the Turbo tackled lane-change, serpentine section, braking; I liked it better than their newest car - the Mazda3 2.5 Sport (5 door) 6AT FWD variant. Of course I liked the Miata's the best, hehe.

Incidentally, Mazda's capability of turbocharging a direct-injected vehicle is pretty obvious to a number of folks here, in that compared to the Honda Accord (certainly, the 1.5 turbo... and possibly the 2.0 turbo) the Mazda does NOT dilute the motor oil (with fuel) as the Honda products appear to do (obviously not purposely). Mazda controls pinging, pre-ignition, etc... with a better mix of ignition retard, some fuel enrichment, and keeping the engine cool... than does Honda - who appear to liberally richen the mixture as well, to quell these tendencies, resulting in serious motor oil fuel accumulations, viscosity reductions, oil life compromises.

Good luck in your choice.

Cdn17Sport6MT
Vancouver, BC Canada

Last edited by Cdn17Sport6MT; 05-07-2019 at 02:23 AM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 08:08 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
You may have trouble getting a 360 camera on some of the cars you're considering... the Accord for example does not offer a 360 camera.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 09:06 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Looking under the hood, the impact of the turbo on the real estate under there is minimal. The Mazdas have long front ends anyways, to accommodate the skyactiv exhaust header. Regular maintenance access is a non-issue, IMO.

Also, my experience with the 360 camera has been indifferent. I wanted the front parking sensors but those came packaged with the 360 camera. I think the 360 camera is marginally useful. In fact, my front camera lens is already littered with rock chips.

I would recommend comparing the V6 back to back with the Mazda's turbo 4 to see the different experience they give. The sound and smoothness of the v6 is hard to argue with. Having said that, the torque from the Mazda6 turbo is really nice.

Keep in mind that this updated Mazda6 doesn't sell in high numbers so there aren't a lot on the roads and, although, it's nice to have a unique car I am finding dealer/Mazda Canada support is pathetic. Every issue I am finding is "new to them" and no one knows the fix for it...which really sucks.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 11:19 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
I find the 360 camera extremely helpful when parking, particularly by enabling me to park close to the curb while easily being able to avoid any contact with the wheels. Now I wouldn't want to buy another car without it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page